1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Why I drive a Dodge Cummins...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the old first gens just because they are the last REAL trucks made. They are loud, stiff, no BS work trucks that are easy to look at. Not to mention the sweet smell of diesel every time I fire it up, mmmmmmmmm...

My wife, however, doesnt share the same love for my truck as I do. But then again I dont share the same love she has for her Kia.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by dodgeb1b
I love the old first gens just because they are the last REAL trucks made. They are loud, stiff, no BS work trucks that are easy to look at. Not to mention the sweet smell of diesel every time I fire it up, mmmmmmmmm...

My wife, however, doesnt share the same love for my truck as I do. But then again I dont share the same love she has for her Kia.
She'll have a different opinion of her Kia once she hits about 70k, which is normally when they start falling apart. Minor things at first, and its all down hill from there after 100k. I know two different friends have bought Kia's, and right after the warranty went out, they both had major repairs needed to be done. And you wonder why a 2005 Kia with 100k will go for about $3000....
Old 09-27-2007, 12:19 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Featherman
I had a friend who was an "old timer" who believed in paying cash for everything.

My sentiments exactly.

If the cash is not in my pocket, I don't need whatever it is that is for sale.

I don't owe anybody a cent for anything, and haven't in years.

Being in business, it has been my observation that people will buy things they can't possibly pay for, providing they can buy them on the credit, regardless of the end cost of the merchandise.

I sell tires on time to thousands of customers, when it is my own honest opinion that a grown man that can't pay cash for a silly set of four tires had better stay home or start walking; it's un-believable how broke people are; yet, they have two cell-phones, all the satelite channels, a ski-doo, two four-wheelers, a bass boat, a run-about boat, a dragster, a stock-car, three demolition-derby cars, etc., etc., you get the picture.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:04 PM

Man, i've used a whole box of tissues in this thread! They all sound like sound reasons to me though......
Old 09-27-2007, 04:58 PM

I love my truck because its just like me; big, ugly, smells funny, and NO cup holders! The the thing will haul 5000 lbs of junk and then hook a trailer for more. I like the box on top of box styling the rough ride and all of the uncivilized things about it. My wife hates it with all of her soul. My 3 year old shares my love of it, its like a rollercoaster ride for him. Did i say no cup holders, or dvd player.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought mine because the price was right and like most of you said I had the cash. I like how tough these trucks are, and I can go anywhere I want. Some of my friends who drive the little toodle around cars wish they had a truck, because they cannot do the things I do in my truck. Plus, I have some friends who say "dude your truck rides like a tank, why don't you get a smoother vehicle" I say if I wanted a car I would have bought one

Long live 1st gen CTD, Shout out to all you AZ Drivers
Old 09-27-2007, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by ouchman
So you mean to tell me that 7 out of 10 guys drive their Dodge Cummins trucks cause their kid's like them?? Aaawwww. Aint that just cute?
You either don't have a little girl yet or you are just on a totally different wavelength than I am my friend but I respect your right to that way of thinking

My 2 year old LIGHTS UP when asked if she wants to take a ride in 'daddy's truck' I wouldn't trade this thing for a fleet of new trucks if they didn't have the same effect on her.

Now I didn't buy it because of her it just worked out that way I BOUGHT it because i've always wanted a mechanical pumped cummins no matter what sheet metal it was wrapped in... however now that she loves it I can't ever part with it.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:50 PM

Every year my friend owns his '06 mega cab it will loose value. Every year I own mine it will gain value. No brainer!
Old 09-27-2007, 05:53 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by whereswaldo250
Some of my friends who drive the little toodle around cars

Little toodle around cars .....

That is about the hilariousest, most accurate, description I have heard to date. Good one.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:00 PM

Why i drive a dodge cummins.
Good question, My 5 month old baby girl Gracie will fall asleep within 3 minutes of riding in either one of my dodge cummins. I bought my 04.5' simply for POWER! And my 99' gasser wasen't cutting it anymore. I bought my 92' for pure pleasure! My 2wd 92' rides better than most cars i ride in now, and gets better fuel economy!!! I love my first gen because i can turn it up without buying 600$ worth the electronic stuff. Its simple and around my area, you don't see many 1st gens at all. Very few! And the first gen fits my personality, Big loud and fun!!!
ez
Old 09-27-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BearKiller
Little toodle around cars .....

That is about the hilariousest, most accurate, description I have heard to date. Good one.
Thanks,
I live in Scottsdale where thats all people drive It is great driving a country type truck in the middle of yuppy central.....I get a lot of disgusted faces
Old 09-27-2007, 06:09 PM

I wish I still had at least one of the two 1st gens I've owned. We traded it off for my 04 quad cab gasser.... I sure do miss playin around in the old beast. Wish I had it for when my son who isn't here yet, could ride in with me.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:11 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
This is the only vehicle I've ever owned that makes me smile every time I drive it.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:20 PM

Mine makes me smile when I drive it, too. But I bought it because I was tired of tearing up other trucks pulling stuff (boats, trailers) and it is bullet proof...ie..no computers
Old 09-27-2007, 07:34 PM

Waldo..props to you for edit off the Snotsdale way of life...I get nasty looks all the time , anywhere in metro Phoenix! Mostly from yuppies and kids who don't get it. I love eatin' the ricers for a snack every chance I get! Now if I can get my wife to like it.........

Quick Reply: Why I drive a Dodge Cummins...