1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Why I drive a Dodge Cummins...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 09:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Mine shakes and jars my fillings loose in my mouth, my kidneys will never be the same, the nieghbors don,t like the noise, the tree huggers don,t like the smoke and the guys at work hate the 18 mpg I get in a 4 ton truck. My grand daughter loves it, she is nine, the car seat works well on the front seat for the 6 month old and the thing pulls my boat better than anything else I have owned. Maintenance is a breeze after the scaffold is in place, and it is the easiest vehicle I have ever modified. Where else can you get lots more horsepower by turning a screw? And it gets noticed just about every where I go. I woudn't trade for two new gens. Besides, I never have to worry about my XYL wanting to drive............Priceless
Old 04-08-2006, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

took my oldest daughters boy friend for a ride in my 93 today,he was saying how dogy the old dodge diesels are. We were runing about 20 mph,when I floored it,his head hit the back window so hard it left a nice knot. His only coment was WOW.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:05 PM
DBF

Why I drive a Dodge Cummins...

My wife likes the ride of the D250 and the way it drags the 5er, and the places we've seen while dragging the 5er. It suits our needs perfectly.

DBF
Old 04-10-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like this thread.

My little cousins like it so... they always ask me to smoke...
Old 04-12-2006, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well first reason is that I love the look of the first gen, another one is my g/f likes it, she say's mine looks like a redneck truck...probably because it is!! She also likes to drive it since it is the only manual she can't stall no matter how bad she is with the clutch!! LOL And my dad likes it, everytime he goes for a ride in it and sees the smoke he say's "wish I woulda kept my 92' instead of getting the V10!!"

Chris
Old 04-12-2006, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rustbucket
took my oldest daughters boy friend for a ride in my 93 today,he was saying how dogy the old dodge diesels are. We were runing about 20 mph,when I floored it,his head hit the back window so hard it left a nice knot. His only coment was WOW.
Now that is funny right there! darn kids! you taught him good!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by 89dieselkong
I'm sure some of you can relate to me on this one. I sit here pondering my reasons for driving a 17yr Dodge Cummins truck (besides the obvious ones) as I shell out another $1800 for a tranny rebuild. This is after $1000 in body parts and countless time welding and sanding. Then yesterday...I load my 17 month old son into his seat on the co-pilot side. I hop in, buckle up and turn the key. As she shudders to life, I look over at my son and a huge smile erupts on his face. Then I remember as a huge smile erupts on MY face...THIS is why I drive a Dodge Cummins...long live the 1st gen CTD...
Along those lines, I was driving along two days ago, and a woman was walking down the road with her probaly 2 - 3 year old son. I happend to look in the rear view just after I passed them, and the kid was looking back at my truck, with a big grin on his face.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:54 AM

Puppies, Kitty-Cats and Flowers like the Cummins too!
Old 04-13-2006, 10:49 AM

My daughter was going to college in Boulder, Colorado. Yeah, it's home to a huge population of granola eatin, tree huggin, left wing, hybrid drivin hippies and the college has more that it's share. She has told her friends about me building rifles, shooting competition, hunting, and generally being a good ol' redneck, etc.

I go to move her out of the dorm and I call her up and tell her to meet me at the back alley. As I am driving up behind the dorm I have her in first gear at about 3000 RPM and the big ol Donaldson muffler is singing pretty good. I am going real slow, making as much noise as possible and all the windows in the dorm are open on this warm evening.

MY little girl comes out the door with a big smile on her face and says," I knew that was you! You know all my friends are scared of you?" Made me proud.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by RTillery
My daughter was going to college in Boulder, Colorado. Yeah, it's home to a huge population of granola eatin, tree huggin, left wing, hybrid drivin hippies and the college has more that it's share. She has told her friends about me building rifles, shooting competition, hunting, and generally being a good ol' redneck, etc.

I go to move her out of the dorm and I call her up and tell her to meet me at the back alley. As I am driving up behind the dorm I have her in first gear at about 3000 RPM and the big ol Donaldson muffler is singing pretty good. I am going real slow, making as much noise as possible and all the windows in the dorm are open on this warm evening.

MY little girl comes out the door with a big smile on her face and says," I knew that was you! You know all my friends are scared of you?" Made me proud.

That's a great story. !!!
Old 04-13-2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by ouchman
A guy in a new Mustang pulls up (on my right side) and notices my stereo is playing, so he decides to blast me with his. At the green light I wait until my tailpipe is even with his open window and I return the favor, in a cloud of black smoke.

Aaahhhhh.... I love the smell of diesel in the morning...
Love it... I go to school at SMU in dallas and frankly I AM the only diesel on campus, most are BMWs, Benzes, Audis, and the like... (All bought by daddy of course ) NEway I just love when a guy comes up next to me around campus, tryin to look all cool in his $80,000 convertable and pulls in front of me or something else to tick me off. Doesn't take much aim with the tailpipe to shoot black soot all over his freshly polished, vacuumed, fancy leather interior (not to metion all over his $500 aviator sunglasses!!).... Just makes my day...
Old 09-27-2007, 12:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
love these stories guys; my two boys think my 5.0 mustang & my cummins are the best things on the road..... where else can you have this much fun for under 7-10 grand?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:42 AM

I drive mine cause it does want I need for the least amount of money. easy to maintain and has the room for the whole family. Also son loves it and it is better then wifes car.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:36 AM

I have to admit I love the LOUD RUMBLING of the Cummins.. no matter where I go all my freinds know when I am pulling up..

Plus since I tow a lot (to go 4wheeling) it is Awesome to be able to stay with or even sometimes pull ahead of some of my freinds with $50K new Fords/Chevy/Dodge's. They are always just surprised that my old, dented, beat up, paint chipping, rattling like it is gonna fall apart truck can Pull with the best of them..

This has been the best $1500 investment I have ever made
Old 09-27-2007, 08:18 AM

Why

I had a friend who was an "old timer" who believed in paying cash for everything. Its the old way of doing things.........he told me."a poor man can't afford to buy junk"..he drove a 1st gen till he passed........... man I wanted that truck.

I had a 6.2 GM.......what a dog. Lots on room, but it was a doggggggg.

Had an '04 3500; just didn't cut it. Found my dually on the west coast and I've never been the same. I just bought a stable mate to the dually and should have my hands on it by next weekend.

One word for me would be .........Patina.

Quick Reply: Why I drive a Dodge Cummins...