1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Why Fram oil filters bad for our trucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chuxtruk
Even this guy in the following links doesn't say they are BAD....and neither do I. What's bad is using this as an excuse to not change your oil or fuel filter(s). Fwiw. Chuck

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...tudy.html#fram
Got this from the link you provided.

Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:23 AM

Howdy All,

The "guy" who did that "study" is a personal friend of mine...

Russ is a member of the Shelby Dodge club I belong to. I like to think he's kind of a 'handy' genius with some time on his hands, and a love for his Turbo cars.
His "study" was just him taking apart filters to see what was in them. After he was surprised by the content of some filters, he decided to put his findings on the internet.
After I talked to him about the filters he had taken apart and read the web page, I took all the brand new Fram filters I had and threw them in the garbage.
Personally I have had problems with the anti-drainback valves in Fram filters leaking...with a result being noisy lifters on start-up. At the time I didn't know what was going on, but after I changed filter brands the noisy lifters stopped.

As for damage or failed Fram filters...Russ had some information on the webpage from people who had story's about engine damage and failed filters, but had to remove it because of threat's from Allied Signal (the webpage had to moved several times for the same reason).

Russ works as an Engineer for a very large, national electronics company, and not for any automobile parts manufacturer or seller, so he has no axe to grind or reason to slam Fram filters.

If you want some interesting reading, check out the email he recieved from the Allied Signal Production Engineer...

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilter-fram1.txt

One of the key lines from that letter is...

"FRAM's marketers admitted that there was
just about no way the public could ever prove that an oil filter
contributed, or did not prevent, engine damage."

If you want to use Fram filters I wish you a lot of luck...and that is the only thing that'll keep you from having trouble with them.
Personally I'll use other better built, higher quality filters cause my luck usually isn't all that good.
As for availability, I generally buy several filters at once and throw them on the shelf for when I feel oil change-y.

For me, in my Cummins truck it's nothing but Fleetguard...because that's what they recomend (I've got a Cummins dealer in town)...and anything but Fram in my other Turbo vehicles.

Vinny
Old 03-13-2006, 07:30 AM

Exclamation

Chuck, The owner's manual for my '97 specifically warns about using inferior quality oil filters and the potential drastic consequences! If you don't think Fram is the inferior quality filter the manual warns you against, it is at least one of them.

First, I can't believe there are no NAPA, CarQuest, Advance Auto, AutoZone or Pep Boys in your area. All of them sell filters made by Wix, Purolator or Champion that are superior to Fram. Pretty easy since just about everything is superior to Fram. There must be a Wal Mart near you. Even the Wal Mart Super Tech is superior to Fram. Failing that, I would investigate www.fleetfilter.com or www.filter1.com . You can buy quality Wix filters over the internet at truly wholesale prices comparable to Fram pricing at retail. If you insist on using Fram, at least use their XG2. It is comparable in quality to Wix or Purolator at 2 1/2 times the price (approx $10 vs. ~ $3-$4). Trouble is there might not be one for a Cummins.

Bottom line, it makes no sense to chance the well being of your engine by using Frams. No matter how slim the possibility of failure is, it is still far greater than any other brand.

Want more? Do a search for the forum: "Bob is the oil guy" and get the take of some real "oil nuts" regarding Fram.