1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Why do you like your 1st gen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got 241,000 miles on mine and I bought it with about 73,000. Its starting to get rusty but I don't really care because everything else is good. I like that truck because it reminds me of a tractor, I don't care that it has air conditioning, cruise control and all that other stuff. The most important thing it has, is its dependablility. I also like the look of them, its the perfect size truck to tow my charger.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:51 AM

i love mine cause she was my daddys and i grew up ride'n around in it. also the other people that drive them like the guys on here are friendly and are always willing to help you out. not to mention the ease of working on them and upgrades,and all the respect from other diesel owners and people on the road for driveing one of the bad *** clasics
Old 01-27-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice fast old vehicles that smoke and are loud definitely get u the laddies
Old 01-27-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the looks of it, boxy trucks are the best. I like the 73-87 Chevys but none of them had a Cummins in it and I don't have the time to swap a Cummins into it so I got an old Dodge and its great. Simple, easy to work on. Minimal electronics is good for me too.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:43 PM

I like the boxy old school look of the trucks that I grew up with. Limited computer controlled junk that can generally be adapted to something cheap that works. When I look under the hood I can see the entire engine instead of the front two thirds. Injection pump repair costs don't exceed the value of the truck. Perfect for a cheap skate like me.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:57 PM

Let's see, they're easy to work on, which is good because being a Mopar product they need to be worked on alot. Any dummy can work on them, which is a good thing cause i'm a dummy. But mostly because i didn't pay much for mine. Bought my father a tool box for a real truck( His Tundra ). And he gave me this POS to work on...LOL Seriously, he got sick of it and I inhereted it. Now that i've started bombing it tho, i like it alot. I don't like the looks of the 2nd gen's. I'm too cheap to buy a 3rd gen. I've owned a couple $40,000 chevy pickups (one Duramax) and in both instances i couldn't justify the payment. The only reason i had them was for tax write off purposes, for my business. I love to tinker on my old Dodge....LOL I think i might be in the minority here, but i was old enough to buy my truck when it was built.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
It's simple, easy to work on when I need to (but reliable enough that I don't have to often), affordable, and the seats are very comfortable on long trips. Plus now it sounds like a big truck when I row through the gears.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:22 PM

Talking

New is nice,but old is awesome.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for all the opinions.

Though my old vehicle is a Jeep, I understand what most of you have mentioned. It is old, and while it's a multiport-injected, computer controlled engine, it's unique, non-OBD, french computer is so simplistically easy to diagnose. I mean, I know that engine like the back of my hand. It doesn't need to be parked in the way back of the parking lot because I don't care if a door gets opened into the side of it. Parts, in general, engine or otherwise, are starting to become hard to come by if it's not a typical parts-store-stocked or cataloged item. Some, I've had to make or circumvent myself. Luckily, that body style was used for quite a few years, so used parts are widely available with the help of forums and sites such as car-parts.com. Just the fact that it's actually and AMC, and not a Chrysler, adds the cool-factor, as some of you call it, for me.

One day, maybe once I've moved and have some time, money and space to put into one, I'll find a good deal (I'll ask this question here), and start learning to work on one. Like I mentioned, my father keeps his meticulously clean, keeps a maintenance log, and had never misused his truck. So, I know good deals exist. For now, I like my truck because it's the first new truck I ever had. Rather than make payments, I had been saving for it for four years. When I heard rumors of something about upcoming 2007 emissions (there wasn't as much known in '05 as there was in '06), I found a great deal sitting on a lot where a dealer wanted to make room for new '06 models, and paid cash- no payments or interest.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like it because guys ask me if i chip it and i laugh at them as im blowing black smoke at them. also i can do mods for free
Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Chapter President

simplicity
Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 PM
The 'Ford does not own Cummins' enforcer.

i can do just about the same thing as a new truck....but....i have no 800 dollar payments.....that i what i like...other then fuel and and my truck insurance ....there are no other payments.....
Old 01-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by 1985cucv
i like it because guys ask me if i chip it and i laugh at them as im blowing black smoke at them. also i can do mods for free
haha i get that all the time. What kind of chip do you have in it
Old 01-27-2009, 07:41 PM

Mine is an OLD SKOOl 92 big box bruiser. The ole girl just keeps chuggin along. Everywhere I go people look and ask what year is it, after tellin them a 92 they wanna check it out. I like it so much I bought a newer truck "a 93". They are workhorses and warhorses. Between the big jukebox and exhaust I run loud n proud. Kool factor is off the scale.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
I think deep down we all love them for preatty much the same reasons! I was born to love them! My own initials Robert Anthony Miller (RAM) SAYS IT ALL!!!!! My dad and brother bought new ones in late 92! We have been hooked ever since! Its my brick, if I awoke tomorrow and it wasnt there I wouldnt stop until I found it or another just as nice! To everyone who wrote about the cool factor. It makes the hair on the back of my neck to stand up! I think its cool when I get thumbs up from Chebby and Hord owners! Now thats cool!

Quick Reply: Why do you like your 1st gen?