1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Why do you like your 1st gen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Why do you like your 1st gen?

Can you guys that love your first generation Rams list some of the reasons? My father bought one when I was a kid. It's a long bed, regular cab, and though I can't remember what year, it wasn't the first year they came out (my uncle had that one), but the intercooler wasn't offered on his year, so maybe a 90 or 91?

I remember his buddies complaining the milage went down in the ones they had with the intercooler. His complaints, to the best of my memories, was the uncomfortable bench seat, the turning radius, and the lack of instantaneous power, like when you needed to get out of the way quickly. The truck is still running, and running well. It rides like a covered wagon, but the paint looks like the day he bought it. He's changed out the bench seat to an aftermarket, and the interior still looks good.

After owning my truck, I don't think I'd want his, other than I should've bought a long bed. Why do you like yours?
Old 01-27-2009, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well in my opinion, the bench seat is not that comfortable but like your dad, you can change that out. the ride on mine isn't that bad either. ive had 2nd and 3rd gens and of course my ole girl don't ride like them but it still rides relatively smooth for the year. i also love the ease of increasing the horsepower without paying $500 plus on chips or tuners. a measley 20 bucks for a governor spring and some help from some friends and you have instant increase in power and mileage. and i have to admit, there's something head turning about seeing a nice 1st gen running down the road passing most of the other truck although i like the 2nd and 3rd gens, there are just too many of them out there that look the same....i like being different and showing that the ole girls can still run with the newer models....but like i said, just my .02
Old 01-27-2009, 06:54 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^That is almost exactly what I was going to say^^^^^^^^^^^^

The only thing that could have made the 1st gen better would have been a factory crew cab with the diesel imo.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:07 AM

Growing up going to rodeo's, seeing all the 1st gens in the arena and the sound and smell and like jcmoyer2004 said the ease of adding power, just something about them... Turning radious sucks, but other than that, I'd sell my 04 before I did my 92, I'll keep my 92 going as long as I can... Not that I've had any problems, but she's getting older.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:13 AM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I just like 1st gens because they are easy to work on, simple and reliable in almost every facet of their design.

1.) Their shortcomings have been corrected mostly from boards like this getting together sharing knowledge and trying new things.

2.) They're cheap/economical to operate and maintain. They do the job they were designed for without complaints!

3.) The design spans back to 1972 meaning that the backbone of these trucks was engineered in the 60s when things weren't econo engineered to barely outlast their warantee - these 1st gens aren't "throw away" vehicles, they are timeless.

4.) When you own a first gen, you're automatically out of the "keeping up with the Joneses" rat race and you don't have to cringe whenever a new improved version of your truck comes out in the new model year and/or when you see ads for a newer/better truck come up for sale cheaper than you bought yours for. None of that matters.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The biggest reason? COOL factor. Older vehicles, escpecially nice ones, just get more respect.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The biggest reason? COOL factor. Older vehicles, escpecially nice ones, just get more respect.
AGREED! My dad bought my truck new when I was 2 years old, and it now has 405,000 miles on it and runs/looks like new! Everyone asks me about it.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:44 AM

Because I BUILT it
Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 AM

The ruggedness and the fact you just dont see them in good shape anymore. I grew up in a small town where the majority of people ran cows. The majority of them drove these trucks. I sold my 2001 Tacoma 4x4 for mine when I found it for sale. Just had to have it.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:59 AM

The old truck look, and unlike some of you guys, my turning radius is incredibly tight. simplicity, durability, and good mileage.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love first gens because of the sound and they are getting more scarce. I just love old trucks
Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT

4.) When you own a first gen, you're automatically out of the "keeping up with the Joneses" rat race and you don't have to cringe whenever a new improved version of your truck comes out in the new model year and/or when you see ads for a newer/better truck come up for sale cheaper than you bought yours for. None of that matters.

Heck the Joneses can eat my black smoke

If I cared what people thought Id buy a new car with a payment.

I find it fun to roll up in my old war wagon and watch the looks on peoples faces and see em try to stay away from it, to not door their rigs. Seems like if I drive one of my newer rigs, no one cares if they door ya.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:03 AM

i like mine because its my first truck i payed for by myself! i dont care what my friends say "its ugly" "it rides rough" whatever they usually say its not good, but i know it will outlast whatever they get! im a fan of the older trucks and plus all of them were made right around when i was born
Old 01-27-2009, 10:30 AM

I have had 2001 4x4 6 speed cummins I could barely work on it
HAD 2006 6 speed 4x4 Cummins COULDN'T work on it
Have 1992 5 speed Cummins Can work on it. Cool factor 10/10 most places I go ,I get A Dodge cummins thumbs UP grin . most of the old farmers nearly break there neck gawking, not many around here are lifted ....
I get brand new Durmaxes and ford trying to race me ... Cant wait to put new turbo and the DD4 's in
Heh heh and that 4 inch exhaust ... AND the wife loves the truck I think she gets a bit jealous at how much attention it gets.
I say who cares about the turning radius , Yes the seats are okay and I could do with out the external lubricating , I get silly millage (good)
OH and I friggin don't have to pay the bank small fortune every month !!!!!We own the truck out right ... and the insurance is Cheap Cuz its gram pa's Diesel with only 160 hp
Oh and it starts in -30 c even if a certain idiot forgets to plug it in
Thats partially why I like my Old dodge
Old 01-27-2009, 10:37 AM

I like old Stinky because he's slightly less complicated than an anvil and more reliable. Plus, when the astroid hits, as long as I can push it down a hill, it'll go and do it on just about anything I can pour in the tank.

Quick Reply: Why do you like your 1st gen?