1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Why Did I Wait So Long?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Why Did I Wait So Long?

I finally pulled the trigger on Tuesday to order a low pressure lift pump from Cummins. It only took an hour to install and then I cut the band off the fuel screw and turned it all the way in.

Driving down the dirt road at 60 MPH turning 1650 RPMs, I can ROAST the rear tires. The fun can only last for a few seconds until the EGT's shoot through the roof. A timing spacer, turbo and studs is next on the list.

Do you ever get over the need for more power?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 PM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
I never have. It's a legal drug addiction...
Old 02-04-2013, 03:44 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Unfortunately modifications like this are only temporary on a Cummins and will soon loose power within a week or so leaving you with a hunger for more that may soon turn into an addiction.

Soon your personal hygiene will fail as you spend every waking hour under the hood as you abandon your friends and loved ones.

Family and friends will have an intervention for you when they catch you with diesel stained undergarments in your toolbox at work.

Only in DEATH

and turned it all the way in.

And no hanging or Run Away?

Do you have a 3200 RPM governor spring yet?

Sometimes I have the feeling that I just need a bit more power, like my parking brake is on but when my big heavy truck with 6 tires on the ground and 1000# in the back pulls away from the intersection leaving ricers behind or cruising the interstate at 85 MPH with the air conditioner on using less than half throttle only then to I come to the reality of how much power I must have just to make this big truck move.

Jim
Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
and turned it all the way in.

And no hanging or Run Away?

Do you have a 3200 RPM governor spring yet?
When it felt like it didn't want to go any more it seemed like the RPM's were a little slower coming back down so I backed it out a 1/4 turn. I don't have governor spring but I removed the high idle screw and messed with the linkage. I chickened at 3400 RPM and let off.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
When it felt like it didn't want to go any more it seemed like the RPM's were a little slower coming back down so I backed it out a 1/4 turn. I don't have governor spring but I removed the high idle screw and messed with the linkage. I chickened at 3400 RPM and let off.
The 3200 RPM spring is the one thing that is going to make your face hurt the most from smiling so much and will be the best $15 you have ever spent.

Jim
Old 02-04-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 4000 spring in mine but i cant tell much difference between it and the 3200 It's cheap and you wont beleive the difference it makes. It fuels a lot harder from idle all the way up to the top. Really easy install. If you have a concrete floor I'd advise doing it there it's alot easier to find the pin and top hat on concrete after you drop it and say holy crap now what am i gonna do then lookin through the dirt or gravel for it. Just sweep the floor first Lol.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
The 3200 RPM spring is the one thing that is going to make your face hurt the most from smiling so much and will be the best $15 you have ever spent.

Jim
Why is it different than backing the high idle screw out?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Administrator

The VE pump is mechanically governed by rotating weights acting against the the tension of the governor spring, the limit screws only act upon the what is already preset by the spring.

Here I can show you,
The spinning weights are inside the gear and slide a collar on the shaft fore and aft according to RPM that are resisted by the pull of the spring against the deflection the the throttle pedal.

Through levers the collar also mechanically opens and closes a port to determine how much fuel is admitted to the pump and fuel distributor.

Name:  IMG_8518.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  69.9 KB

The limit screws only allow how far the spring can be pulled before it stops.

See how the position of the linkage is controlled by the position of the full fuel screw, top of the cover.

Really simple once you think about it.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:14 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
YEAH!!!! When pistons become molten a few times when you hate to drive it because you are afraid Johnny Law is going to give you a smoke ticket, needing ear muffs due to none muffled stack right behind your head, when you split and injector tip, blow ANOTHER head gasket, roast ANOTHER input/counter shaft, break more cam return plate springs in the VE, break another driver engine mount. There's more.....

But I still wont sell it!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep! I've been driving my truck every day after my Lincoln broke, and now I have a bad trans mount from the harsh shifts, a leaky freeze plug, and carpel tunnel from my manual valvebody. Not to mention that everyone gives me dirty looks and then rolls their windows up
Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 PM

The answer is no. You always get used to the new power and will always want more. Life, wife, law, and jack consipre against you.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by JQmile
Yep! I've been driving my truck every day after my Lincoln broke, and now I have a bad trans mount from the harsh shifts, a leaky freeze plug, and carpel tunnel from my manual valvebody. Not to mention that everyone gives me dirty looks and then rolls their windows up
Did you ever do anything with that supercharger setup you bought?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mhuppertz
Did you ever do anything with that supercharger setup you bought?
I look at it every once it a while and go "Vroom! Vroom!"
Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 PM

Same here. I have most of the setup...
Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by JQmile
Yea, but I'll be it's worth every time you smoke a lambo or an STi!

Quick Reply: Why Did I Wait So Long?