1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Why a BHAF?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Why a BHAF?

Help me understand why putting a larger air filter helps make power.
The idea is to get more air into the turbo. I get that.
Cool clean fresh air is ideal.
On my racing motorcycle I don't even have an air filter. We run wide open throttle bodies to get the most air possible.
A BHAF has a larger surface area, but I don't see why that makes more clean air?
Is it that because it has more surface area there's a larger pool of clean air to pull from?
Isn't it about air flow?
So should the air filter flow more air be smaller yet flow more?
Like a conical filter at the end of the intake elbow rather than a massive tube?

I have just started doing some tuning tweaks to my truck (and I now get the whole addictive thing mentioned in so many previous posts). I've added cooler tubz, and turned my pump up some. I'd like to get an HE351, and some larger injectors, but nothing too crazy. At some point I'm going to need more airflow, and I want to understand the best way to proceed.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
An air filter needs to be big enough to flow the maximum amount of air that the engine can ingest. From a purely theoretical standpoint, that would be all you need. Reality dictates since it is removing dirt, it is getting smaller in the area to pull from with each suck.

A BHAF just means you don't cross into suction quicker than you otherwise would.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:16 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
An air filter needs to be big enough to flow the maximum amount of air that the engine can ingest.
This is my point exactly. It's about air flow. If a filter flows enough air it doesn't matter what size it is.
So in our case the paper filters are fairly restrictive so to get enough volume we need a large overall filter?
So my not a SHAF that has a higher flow rate?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you can find a shaf that will flow enough for these turned up engines let us know.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:57 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Just get a BHAF. Then you will know why.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:17 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
less restriction=quicker spoolup, the primary goal, preventing fuel from exiting the tailpipe. at least that is what im attempting to achieve, sooty is the result.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The idea is to flow more air without increasing pressure drop across the filter. The larger surface area of the BHAF allows more flow at the same pressure drop, or the same flow with a lower pressure drop. In reality, for normal driving the only benefit of the BHAF is that it might last a bit longer before being replaced. There might be a very minor performance gain for a turned up truck, but there might also be a loss if the air it's pulling in is warmer underhood air instead of colder ambient air.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give this a read before you buy... http://www.genosgarage.com/GenosGara...irCleaners.pdf
Old 06-12-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 454 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by gman07
The idea is to flow more air without increasing pressure drop across the filter. The larger surface area of the BHAF allows more flow at the same pressure drop, or the same flow with a lower pressure drop. In reality, for normal driving the only benefit of the BHAF is that it might last a bit longer before being replaced. There might be a very minor performance gain for a turned up truck, but there might also be a loss if the air it's pulling in is warmer underhood air instead of colder ambient air.
So that is were a properly designed mount comes into play. I use a modified "Old Smokey Mount". It is located in the same location as stock and draws its air from behind the grill like stock. It makes a difference even on a mildly modded truck like my 91.5.