1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Who is running a mechanical fuel pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
last time I checked, diesel fuel is flamable.
You need to check again because diesel fuel is combustible, not flammable. Its flash point is well above 100 degrees F., the cutoff point. I know how engineers like to be completely correct, just helping out...Mark
Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll just toss in my 3 cents of comments on "fuel in the cab"

Over the years since the mid 1960's I have owned and operated both GM & Dodge trucks that had the 18 gallon GASOLINE TANKS mounted BEHIND the drivers seat. The reason it was eliminated in the 1970's was not due to a problem with gasoline leaking into the cab and causing fires. It was removed do to combat safety issues involving crashes where the truck rolled over onto its side and slid down the pavement with the tank filler pointed at the road. The cap ground off and the gasoline poured out and ignited from the sparks that were produced as the filler tube and the cab metal dragged down the road. In the 60's I also ran a mechanical fuel pressure gauges in the cab on gasoline engine powered vehicles. Today I feel that a mechanical fuel pressure gauge in the cab does not constitute any more of an issue than running a mechanical oil pressure gauge with hot oil in the cab.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trebor

Over the years since the mid 1960's I have owned and operated both GM & Dodge trucks that had the 18 gallon GASOLINE TANKS mounted BEHIND the drivers seat. The reason it was eliminated in the 1970's was not due to a problem with gasoline leaking into the cab and causing fires. It was removed do to combat safety issues involving crashes where the truck rolled over onto its side and slid down the pavement with the tank filler pointed at the road. The cap ground off and the gasoline poured out and ignited from the sparks that were produced as the filler tube and the cab metal dragged down the road. In the 60's I also ran a mechanical fuel pressure gauges in the cab on gasoline engine powered vehicles. Today I feel that a mechanical fuel pressure gauge in the cab does not constitute any more of an issue than running a mechanical oil pressure gauge with hot oil in the cab.
Glad I didn't read this years ago when I had my 1969 C10 with the tank behind the seat and fuel cap off to the side. Loved the simplicity of that truck with manual trans 3 on the tree and 250 inline 6 cylinder. Under powered motor for size of the truck but I liked those trucks.

I have a 71 K5 Blazer and 72 GMC Jimmy and both have the tanks in the rear but unfortunately the filler spouts are still off the exterior side. On these, the filler is in the rear bed side which might be a bit better than next to the driver door. Maybe not though. I can see how the danger still exists despite the rear tank location and relocation of the fill tube to the rear. Still is a drag and spark danger.

I agree that with all the possibilities in collisions, the gauge issue is probably at the bottom of the danger list. For some it is a psychological issue with fuel and cab space I think. If I had any issue, say, with the line leaking some drops of diesel into the cab on a long family trip I would never hear the end of it though LOL. I know you could pull over and cut off fuel through a needle valve but I still see how many just won't go there.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Trebor

LOL I had a fleet of 1947 - 1953 Cheby trucks. Cab integrity was never an issue. When I hit something, I mangled it, and maybe messed up an easily replaceable fender.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And they used to build cars and trucks with solid steering shafts that impaled many drivers. Oh, and no seat belts too! Safety Glass?
There is a reason the racing orginizations dont allow fuel pressure gauges inside of the vehicle.
It is no fun to have a fuel pressure gauge fail at 135 mph in a closed cockpit. I only received 2nd degree burns, but I can tell you they hurt!
The great thing about this Country, is you can do as you like (within reason)
and I would fight for anyones right to thier opinon, even if I disagreed. That is what makes us great!
oh, and I had a 71 Crew Cab, and the first thing I did to it was get that tank out of the cab!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think about it this way. Lets say your layin upside down in the middle of the road strapped in the seat and cant get the stupid 20 plus year old seat belt latch to release, the hose on the back of the guage shears off in the crash (who cares if its flammable or combustable it burns either way) the steering column is mangled the key wont turn off so the electric pump is pumpin away or the darn engine just wont die your odds of a good samaritan pulling you out are better with the fire outside the cab then in there with you. Granted chances are slim but it does happen. Dont put your loved ones through something that a couple hundred bucks could make the difference in the ride going to the hospital or the morgue. Bottom line is will something bad happen ? Probably not but dont take the chance keep the fuel outside and live to tell about it.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:11 AM

Like my Grandpa used to say "about the same chance as getting bit by a Rattlesnake, unless, of course, you start picking them up!"
Old 10-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by barrytransport
(who cares if its flammable or combustable it burns either way
It matters only because gasoline is ready to burn at around minus 40 degrees F., where diesel needs to be heated to around 125 degrees F.. The danger of gasoline igniting is about a thousand times greater than diesel. That said, I agree with you because the ability to burn is not the only danger...Mark
Old 10-21-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I am running a mechanical gauge from a needle valve I modified to fit in the fuel filter vent. I close the valve down to eleminate needle bouce and it provides for a greatly reduced flow if the thing should leak. The only guys that don't seem to like it are the tech. inspectors at the nearest drag strip. I close the valve and disconnect it to run.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:33 PM

I use this with my fuel pressure oil pressure & transmission pressure gauges. http://www.dieselmanor.com/dm_products/DM-CGI2240.asp

Not for the fire that could happen in the cab but for the clean up if the line breaks.
If that line breaks your not going to shut down the motor till you can safely pull over.

(note) the trans gauge is in my Buick GS400 http://www.jegs.com/p/TCI/TCI-Transm...87683/10002/-1