1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

White smoke and pop/miss ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White smoke and pop/miss ??

Hi,

I am new to this site and to the 1st gen cummins engine. I have a 1990 Dodge W250 which has ran great since the day I picked it up, I have ran this truck for a while now and have been with little to no problems untill recently. Last week when I went out to start it it puffed out a huge cloud of white smoke thinking that it was cooler the night before I figured it would clear up after the engine warmed up. After it had idled for around 15-20 minutes I got in and started to drive away only to be met with a popping/miss (that shook the truck) and even more white smoke. being a previous Powerstroke owner and having had injecters go while driving i worried that this might be happening before i could get the truck shut down it had cleared and would run normal, it had been perfect untill yesterday when i started it the same cloud and further the same pop/miss I ran the truck almost 10 miles before it cleared up then no more problems the rest of the day. This morning when started it the same cloud and pop/miss i reved it up to around 2000 rpm and it sounded even worse after driving it for 10 minutes it cleared up once again. If anyone can give me any advice on this it would be greatly appreciated.

I am sorry i rambled on and made a book out of this.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:49 AM
Banned

it almost sounds like you are getting air in the fuel lines, i would check all your injector lines tou see if they are loose and check all your lines from the tank to the injector pump to see if there cracked
Old 06-27-2010, 02:04 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Are you low on Coolant?
Old 06-27-2010, 02:11 AM

I will check all fuel lines and injector lines.
Coolant is full also checked oil thinking I might find something there but everything checks out. Thank you for your help on this.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:35 AM

I agree that it sounds like air. Air in fuel CAN be one of a few culprits of white smoke. The pop and miss is probably air forcing through the injectors and then its smooths out. Look for a fuel leak somewhere. Could be faulty delivery valves too perhaps?
Old 06-27-2010, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you don't already have a fuel pressure guage, check the fuel pressure going into the pump, AFTER the filter.
Change the fuel filter.
Check that your line clamps are tight and that your hoses aren't worn through around the clamps, which sometimes cuts lines.

White smoke is indicative of unburned fuel (burns the eyes like cazy!), air in the fuel cools the fuel charge and hinders combustion, which in turn causes the intermittent popping noises and surging, some of the fuel combusts, but a lot of it doesn't.
It reacts similarly with water in the fuel, too.

Marrk.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a new fuel filter. I would almost lay some money on that solving the problem. I had that happen to me an a new filter cured it.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:28 PM

Check to outlet from the turbo for any oil.. Also make sure no critter made a nest in your air filter box.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Nixon
If you don't already have a fuel pressure guage, check the fuel pressure going into the pump, AFTER the filter.
Change the fuel filter.
Check that your line clamps are tight and that your hoses aren't worn through around the clamps, which sometimes cuts lines.

White smoke is indicative of unburned fuel (burns the eyes like cazy!), air in the fuel cools the fuel charge and hinders combustion, which in turn causes the intermittent popping noises and surging, some of the fuel combusts, but a lot of it doesn't.
It reacts similarly with water in the fuel, too.

Marrk.
unburned fuel is black smoke not white smoke. white smoke is from lack of fuel. so either you are getting air in the system, have a bad injector, a bad fuel pump or a dirty fuel filter. so start from there and check the fuel pressure like stated above
Old 06-27-2010, 07:01 PM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
white smoke is unburnt fuel....black smoke it partially burnt fuel.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1985cucv
unburned fuel is black smoke not white smoke. white smoke is from lack of fuel.
Not always.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:54 PM

ok let me rephrase that most of the time if he has a blown injector then it will be white smoke. seems to me he has a fuel pressure issue
Old 06-27-2010, 09:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1985cucv
ok let me rephrase that most of the time if he has a blown injector then it will be white smoke. seems to me he has a fuel pressure issue
You're close, his problem is a quite likely a SUPPLY issue, in which air is getting mixed in with the fuel, either by a failed, or failing, lift pump, ruptured or cracked draw straw, or inadequate sealing of the lines due to cracking from age or direct damage.

Look at it this way, air is a poor conductor of heat and draws heat away from surfaces and liquids alike.
How does a diesel operate? It's basic principle relies on heat for ignition.

If you've ever cold started a diesel in subzero temps, the way it runs is nearly EXACTLY the same as air in the fuel.
The smoke it puts out is also very much the same.

Air in the fuel cools the fuel charge.

Mark.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:02 PM

fuel timing could be way off as well...
Old 06-27-2010, 11:43 PM

went through fuel/injector lines today no signs of leaks most of the lines are brand new whem i bought the truck. Looked through air system, filter needs to be replaced but is not extremly bad of yet. Took intake hose off with air filter and noticed small chips missing from Compressor wheel blades like the truck had been run without air filter instaled and sucked sand through the turbo. Exhaust side of turbo is clean no oil around it. Going to replace Fuel and air filters tomorrow.

Quick Reply: White smoke and pop/miss ??