1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

White smoke, missing, and popping noise at filter and tip!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are you refering to a headstud kit? and wheres a good place to get a fairly inexpensive head set? I know I know i said it "INEXPENSIVE" is there such thing when dealing with diesel.... ha ha I used to own a 99 powerstroke... so a cummins is gonna little bit easier on my pocket book then it.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:11 AM

No i wouldnt spend the money on studs with what your running now. If you look in the sticky there is a lot of info on head gaskets just make sure your bolts arent stretched and use a good quality head set. Last one i got from napa is still working fine other then that get 1 from cummins.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by barrytransport
... I would have thought there would have been a little more input from others as well. I do have to admit the people on this forum are as nice, knowledgable, and helpful as any where i have been.
I personally wont add anything if
1) I am not certain I can help
2) If someone else is already giving the same answers I would....most of us wont chime in to repeat whats already being said...
Old 02-03-2013, 06:47 AM

x2 napa HG ~$60
Old 02-03-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the head off, check the block for cracks, and how deep the ridge is at the top of the pistons. Ideal is no ridge.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 AM

Ok sounds good guys and thanks again for the help!!! I will keep yall posted on my progress.

Originally Posted by 12v85k30
x2 napa HG ~$60
Are you suggesting this one and what do you mean "x2"
Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
In my opinion... no other gasket touches my motor unless it's from Cummins. That's just me. I'd rather use what it had from the factory which, in the case of my head gasket, lasted 20 years.

and yes you could switch injectors spray angle is diffrent is all.
Not only is spray angle different but, if they're original non i/c injectors, they have 9mm nozzles on them and will not fit in an i/c head with 7mm injector bores.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:31 PM

yes i am, has not failed yet. has only seen 40 psi.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only thing I can add is that if it IS a headgasket blown between cylinders, or anywhere else for that matter, continuing to drive it that way may junk the engine.
As it is, you may have to surface the head and block.

Of course, I needn't tell you to check it 6 ways to Sunday with straightedges, before dropping the head back on.

Mark.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:26 PM

Ok guys I'm back with my problem diagnosed... but first I wanna give a thanks to everyone who chimed in with all the good advice. So thank you!!!

Now back to my problem.... after getting the head off it was plain as day what the issue was.

All I have to say is barrytransport you obviously know your sh*t. lol

Since it was #1 and #2 check your water level, see if you have any pressure in the radiator from a leaking head gasket. also you could have a blown gasket between cylinders and not affecting water at all which is where im leaning with the rough idle. and yes you could switch injectors spray angle is diffrent is all but i dont think it will do anything for you. If you have a temp gun shoot the exhaust manifold but again it sounds like 1 and 2 will most likley be cold
Old 02-07-2013, 10:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yikes, that is a significant blowout.
How do the surfaces check out?

Mark.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 PM

Surprisingly everything looked good the block was smooth all over except for one spot I was concerned about....

But it cleaned up real nice with some Emory cloth. As for the head it's overall pretty smooth and no burrs or anything around the valves and it looks straight by the naked eye. Tomorrow i plan on going up to cummins central power in Kansas City to get my gasket kit and then checking everything with a straight edge and feeler gauges.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:33 AM

If I had my head off already, I'd have it gone through and magnafluxed before putting it back on. Nolands machine shop in downtown KC is pretty reasonable and I've always been happy with their work.

Guardrail
Old 02-08-2013, 12:44 AM

My buddy works for a machine shop in Kingston, mo they well known around here for there precise work and they told me to mill the head and a valve job it would run me about $350-$400 and it would go up if I needed new valves and guides. Does that sound high? I'm not fimilar with machine work.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:53 AM

Not sure of the price. I'd call around and compare. The last head I had done was off a skid loader and that was several years ago. My mechanic neighbor has used Nolands machine shop for years. Call them and a few others to get price comparisons.

Guardrail

Quick Reply: White smoke, missing, and popping noise at filter and tip!!!!