1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

White smoke, missing, and popping noise at filter and tip!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok it would be good if that would fix it. Ill try it when I get home but what's the reasone for deleting the fuel heater
Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 PM

New fuel an filter didn't do it! Thanks though, I pulled valve covers everything seems to be fine there, I changed #1 injector which didn't do it either. I cracked all lines one by one and like before 1 and 2 didn't change anything and 3,4,5,6 the miss got worse. I let it run for a few mins and put my hand on all manifold ports and #1 was tolerable and the rest were pretty hot. So I'm kinda leaning with you berrytransport about the head gasket. But I don't know
Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 PM

Try a compression test
Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Pull the wire off the Fuel shut off valve, and crank it.

If it sounds like thump, thump, thump, slip, thump, slip.....(repeat)
The head gasket's gone between 1 & 2
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Pull the wire off the Fuel shut off valve, and crank it.

If it sounds like thump, thump, thump, slip, thump, slip.....(repeat)
The head gasket's gone between 1 & 2
Yep good advice here. Listening to the engine while cranking is a pretty easy way to pick up on a cylinder with low compression, instead of going to all the trouble of measuring compression on each cylinder.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 PM

I pulled the wires off the FSS and cranked it over it just sounded like it was trying to start but I may not know what the hell I'm listening for. Lol
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by John93CTD
I pulled the wires off the FSS and cranked it over it just sounded like it was trying to start but I may not know what the hell I'm listening for. Lol
What you intrepret as "trying to start" might be the miss I spoke of.

When a good cylinder is being turned, there's much resistance until TDC, then the compression adds a springy boost to the cranking, producing a thump sound to most ears. When the dead cylinder comes around, the starter will speed up as there's little resistance at that time. It isn't really trying to start, it just isn't resisting the starter.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 AM

Ok now lets try and figure out is it the gasket or the injection pump:
when you went back and cracked the injector lines did it seem like you had the same spray on 1 and 2 as you did on the others ? Or was the spray a little weaker on them ? Only thing worse then jumping into a head gasket is figuring out later you still have the same problem. Ive been pretty confident all along its one or the other. I sent you a PM yesterday with my number if your not sure what Im talking about.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:55 PM

They all had equal pressure.... but i would think a head gasket would of showed some signs of failure like overheating, low coolant, leaking, overflowing etc. which it showed non of these but the only pre existing problem that i ever had and couldn't put a finger on it was a slight sputter every so often a under a load or at wot. Would that be related or worked up to my problem now?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 PM

You would only have a water or cooling problem if it was blown into a water passage. In the video you clearly had a dead cylinder and after cracking the lines you found 2 very weak cylinders right next to each other. After checking again you said when cracking them the spray seemed pretty equal on all the cylinders. If 1 and 2 would have sprayed weak id say you had an injection pump problem. You also said you swapped #1 inj out and the problem didnt change. Way earlier you changed the filter and still the same of course if it was lack of fuel that way they would have all been weak not just the 2. You have narrowed it down by all the logic i know and I'm a few hundred miles away so its easy for me to offer advice but if it was me I'd lean towards the gasket. Read back over what you have done and mull it over a little but if i am missing somthing somebody else please speak up.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:19 PM

Yeah i have sat here on the computer with a pin and paper reading over everything we have discussed so far. everything i have found even close to being related to the problems i am having never chime back in on there own post to let us know what it took to fix there problem. kind of aggravating, and thanks barrytransport for your knowledge and input. If this is a HG issue while I have the head off is there anything I should do while I'm in there? This is my DD and a work truck not a heavy pulling or play truck.
-thanks
Old 01-29-2013, 05:39 PM

It all depends on time and money:
If you have both then a valve job and new guides wouldnt be all bad.
a little more time & $ to mill it just to make sure everything is flat wouldn't hurt either. If that doesnt work for you then clean up everything and put it back together. I would have thought there would have been a little more input from others as well. I do have to admit the people on this forum are as nice, knowledgable, and helpful as any where i have been. Occasionaly i will look at the cummins forum and mostly all i see is a bunch of smart as_ kids that are full of hate and discontent and i rareley see that here and appreciate it.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 PM

Well time is always something I can make more of when Im hoofing it lol and as for the money part..... not so much with the high cost of living and the low $$$ flow. But I can't complain to bad the logging business has been pretty fair this past year but these gosh darn fuel prices still aren't where they need to be ($3.60 ^ here in NW Missouri) and it makes it tuff.
But I agree I started out at the Cummins forum and I was displeased of the same sh** (Just keep us in the loop so we know if we were helpful or not) To some people Im considered a kid (23) but i don't sit one here and run my mouth either. I get on here to learn and help build my knowledge of our trucks and to maybe do what i can to help. So far this community has had the most hospitality. Thanks to everyone for all the help.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM

-Back to my issue at hand... I will have to give my buddy a call (he works at a local machine shop) to check out my head, do a valve job, new guides and mill it, if he cuts me a good enough deal.
Other then that is there anything else I should look into befor hand? -thanks
Old 01-29-2013, 06:43 PM

If you beat on it much everybody seems to recomend the genuine head set. There are a couple threads on here on torquing the head bolts

Quick Reply: White smoke, missing, and popping noise at filter and tip!!!!