1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

whining noise in rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whining noise in rear

Just got my truck back from the shop. took it in for rear brakes, they replaced a leaky wheel cylinder and put new brake shoes on. took it back a week later cause I saw fluid coming out of passenger side rear wheel.
They put new seal in. But when I went to drive it home, high pitched whining noise while braking and smells like burning brakes or something. What could be wrong ya think? I'm taking it back again today, third times a charm.
It's a 1992 D250. Thanks all!
Old 09-24-2019, 04:41 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
I think you need to find a new shop to have your truck fixed.

Personally, if you have to let them finish it up, I would stay there until they rip it back apart to see what's happening. High pitched noise could be a hardware / shoe spring that fell off, and is bouncing around inside the drum. If your axle leaked, you should climb under there and inspect the fill hole in the diff cover and see if it's been removed to check the fluid from after leaking. IF it's dry and looks like it's never been touched, then you may have run the axle dry and are looking at a ton of money to fix.

Best to your predicament. I've had my share of bad mechanics, and I feel your pain. I also do 99% of all my own repairs and anytime I digress from this, I get screwed.... just like you are being.