1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Where Is Reverse Switch On Auto Trans ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 04:57 PM

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Question Where Is Reverse Switch On Auto Trans ???

Noticed the reverse-lights on the wife's truck are not working.

Good bulbs. Good fuse.

Looking at the transmission from underneath, I identify the speedometer wires.

On the left side is a flat three-pin connection; what is it ??

This three-pin connection has a home-made wire-end spliced into the wires, that is actually a flat four-wire trailer-light connector, which is using the hollow ends of the three brass pins as the connector that plugs onto the three pins on the transmission. Will any more common junk-yard vehicles have this same connector ??

Sort of centered, underneath, are two wires, red and red/white-stripe, that plug into a fitting made into a metal fluid-line; are these the reverse-switch wires ??

If neither of the above, where is the reverse-switch ??

Thanks.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to my Chilton, it is located on left side of tranny just below and behind shifter. Screws into place and tightens to 15 ft lb.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep thats it. Combo Nuetral safety/ back up lights. All Dodge autos with three pin switch should interchange. Be sure to check the wire splices at the rear where it is possible that the trailer wires are spliced and the reverse light wire may have broken in two
Old 12-25-2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by boiler-rat
it is located on left side of tranny just below and behind shifter.
Originally Posted by ccab85
Yep thats it. Combo Nuetral safety/ back up lights. All Dodge autos with three pin switch should interchange.

OKAY, I turn on the ignition, put the truck in REVERSE, and crawl under the transmission.

I have my accomplished assistant(the wife) on "watch what the lights do" duty at the rear of the truck.

When I twist and wiggle this home-made three-prong connection, the REVERSE-lights come on; shift out of R = lights out; shift into R = lights ON.

I squeeze the hollow pins, on the home-made connector, to achieve a tighter fit, and all is good and works as it should; and, we now have reverse-lights.

It's amazing how well the three prongs of that trailer-plug line up with and fit the three pins on the reverse-switch; I just need to remember the correct orientation, as there is no key-way to keep things where they belong.

NOW, for more questions.

Truck in REVERSE. Key-switch ON. Home-made pigtail not connected to transmission.

With a test-light, I have HOT at the wire that connects to the TOP pin of the three-pin connector.

Neither of the other wires shows current.

When I take a section of wire and "jump" from the HOT wire to either, or both, of the other wires, nothing happens at the reverse-lights.

To my thinking, I should have been able to "bypass" the reverse-switch, and make the reverse-lights come ON.

Then, I stick the connector back on the transmission and they do come ON.

This makes no sense to me.

From what I have learned, looking at the three-pin connector, on the side of the transmission, the TOP pin is HOT, when key is ON and shifter is in REVERSE.

What is the CENTER pin ??

What is the BOTTOM pin ??

The reason I am trying to figure this out is that I am adding some auxilliary reverse-lights and, instead of splicing the relay trigger wire all the way at the rear of the truck, I can tie it in at the wires closer to the transmission.

I need to know which wire is the COLD side of the reverse-switch.

Thanks.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The top is hot, bottom goes to the lights. Center provides the ground for the starter relay. Not sure why you can't jump it and get light, cruddy terminals I guess.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
The top is hot, bottom goes to the lights. Center provides the ground for the starter relay. Not sure why you can't jump it and get light, cruddy terminals I guess.

Thanks.

Man, I poked a bare piece of solid ground-wire from some 12/2 house-wire in that hole and really twisted it around in there and couldn't get a flicker at the lights.

Plug it all together and the lights work fine.

It sure had me puzzled.