1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

when do i use lock up

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 06:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
when do i use lock up

howdy well i got my lock up and od to work on my 618 now, but i would liek to know when do i put the lock up into use? obviously after i have the od on but when im towing or flat or up hills or what? with the lock up on, my truck hits 30 psi boost easily and with out it on it will hit 20psi when i floor it.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I haven't hooked mine up yet, but it is my understanding is once your in overdrive you can lock it up... Are you using switches for everything??? I also put the 47rh in mine, I am planning on using governor pressure to get it to shift to overdrive and initiate lockup!! Once I figure what I have to do!!
Old 09-14-2008, 10:13 PM

yes i just used switches for them i have the governer pressure switch there also, and by the way you have to hook ur lock up up once i flick that switch the truck wakes up definetly and feels like a wholleee lottaa extra power, i couldent believe it.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:32 PM

well my wife is gonna be driving mine around so I am trying to make it all automated. My goal is to have mine shift in od by like 40 to 45 and lock up by 50 for now.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:24 PM

oohh, when you figure out how that is all gonna work, could you tell me? because i want to do that to insted of always having to flip the switches.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AHHHHHH the 47rh what a wonderful upgrade, me, i lock the convertor up in third and let it shift into od with it locked, also when towing i don't use od unless im cruising flat ground, thats do to my 3.07 gearing and big laggy turbo though any ways lockup makes a huge difference, and makes the truck alot more fun. Careful though, if you leave the convertor locked and come to a stop it'll kill the motor. i know from experience Also if your towing a hill, just unlock od and lockup and then lock backup for better power.

jason
Old 09-15-2008, 09:04 AM

Put dual governor pressure switches in -
one set to ~ 40 - 45 psi for the od
2nd set to ~ 50 - 55 psi for the lu

I wired in a couple of double throw switches along with the dual pressure switches.

Center position is off
Right turns on a green LED and operates the OD via the pressure switch
Left turns on a red LED and the green one and operates the OD manually when I want to

Same for the LU

I understand you CAN lock up in 1st if you don't mind being beat up around when it shifts
Old 09-15-2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by unixcowboy
Put dual governor pressure switches in -
one set to ~ 40 - 45 psi for the od
2nd set to ~ 50 - 55 psi for the lu

I wired in a couple of double throw switches along with the dual pressure switches.

Center position is off
Right turns on a green LED and operates the OD via the pressure switch
Left turns on a red LED and the green one and operates the OD manually when I want to

Same for the LU

I understand you CAN lock up in 1st if you don't mind being beat up around when it shifts

If you get time, could you maybe take a few pics of what your setup looks like and maybe a little more in depth instruction... I will be tackling this project in a few weeks or sooner...

So basically, yours shift into od by itself then a shortwhile later it will lockup?? I was under the impression you don't want to have it locked up say in 3rd and then shift to o/d unless your trans is built.. Where is a good place to order the pressure switches and stuff?? Any more info would be appreciated when you get time man...Thanks
Old 09-15-2008, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by unixcowboy
Only modified valve bodies will lock in 1st. You can however engage the lockup switch before you start moving and the trans will lock once it shifts into 2nd gear and will shift locked all the way up to OD. This is not a very good idea to do under power.

Mine is super simple, 2 switches on the dash. Both LU and OD are fully manual control. Experience tells you when you can use LU, I know I don't always use it because my converter is tight enough when I'm just cruising around.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:26 PM

I'm getting my trans rebuilt right now. Just wish I had $$ to get a tighter TC..
Most of my driving is around town and short hiway. Maybe 15% towing on vacation trips. AND of course a couple of trips down the 1/4, but not regular.

SS kind of limits how much you can do at one time, so first I'm getting a solid trans and the TC will have to wait...

Attached should be a diagram of what I'll be doing to the trans once it's installed. Right now I've got the switch and relay installed for the TC and the parts for duplicating it to control the OD - just not installed yet.

IF it prints like the original then it takes 1 sheet - spread out so it's legible.
It only shows the TC lock up portion, the OD control would be the same except it would connect to the OD line

I actually found room in the control center and stole batt to operate the relay and LEDs from the circuit board. The relay jammed into a small space at the edge of the plastic.
This will all be redone as I'm redoing the whole dash on my workbench...
Full digital and all warning lights grouped somewhat together. Then the radio and heater controls get relocated - somewhere - and a computer LCD gets mounted there for GPS, road map, backup camera, DVD and MP3 player, and whatever else I decide to incorporate.
I'm taking my time to make it look like it belongs there so there's been lots of cardboard cutting and taping and then thin modeling plywood ( 1/8" ) cut and trimmed, a couple of pieces of thin sheet metal, etc, etc, etc...

And of course - getting sidetracked by slipping transmissions and misc oil leaks..... ONE DAY
Attached Thumbnails when do i use lock up-tc-od_manual_control.gif  
Old 09-15-2008, 12:44 PM

I put the 5.9 with the 47Rh in a 12K GVW Rv and had to use toggles until the PCM rebooted sevearl times and the Speedo started to work. Then I found out the PCM and I were at odds. I let it take over and it locks up at 30 mph and unlocks in 1st gear. Since unlocked only generates heat and the AT clutches handle the shifts I will take the earliest lock I can get. Am I wrong??
Old 09-15-2008, 12:52 PM

Unlocking going into 1st is ok - you don't want it to stay locked when you stop... Locking at 30 seems low to me unless you're talking about light throttle, then it's ~~~maybe.
Under 3/4 or full throttle I'd want it to wait 'til I had built up speed, like 50 or so. Otherwise you're putting a lot of torque through the trans and the clutch. By keeping the TC un-locked you let the TC do it's thing - torque multiplication - to get your 12K moving....

my $.02