1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

what turbo is this

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what turbo is this

can someone tell me what turbo this is it says a/r is 95 and the comp wheel measures 73 and the exh is about 81
Name:  turbo001.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  40.9 KB
Name:  turbo003-2.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  55.9 KB
here it is next to a hx 40
Name:  turbo002-1.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  53.1 KB
Old 10-27-2009, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks minty. and old.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:14 PM

cant judge a book by is cover
Old 10-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

looks like an old Garrett of some sort
Old 10-27-2009, 04:56 PM

it says airesearch on it but i would like to find out what size the exhuast housing is
Old 10-27-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by boostedve
it says airesearch on it but i would like to find out what size the exhuast housing is
I would say doorstop size.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
from garrett's website. kinda long but educational and hopefully helpful as well:

A/R (Area/Radius) describes a geometric characteristic of all compressor and turbine housings. Technically, it is defined as:

the inlet (or, for compressor housings, the discharge) cross-sectional area divided by the radius from the turbo centerline to the centroid of that area. you can probably guess the opposite for turbine housings.

The A/R parameter has different effects on the compressor and turbine performance, as outlined below.

Compressor A/R - Compressor performance is comparatively insensitive to changes in A/R. Larger A/R housings are sometimes used to optimize performance of low boost applications, and smaller A/R are used for high boost applications. However, as this influence of A/R on compressor performance is minor, there are not A/R options available for compressor housings.

Turbine A/R - Turbine performance is greatly affected by changing the A/R of the housing, as it is used to adjust the flow capacity of the turbine. Using a smaller A/R will increase the exhaust gas velocity into the turbine wheel. This provides increased turbine power at lower engine speeds, resulting in a quicker boost rise. However, a small A/R also causes the flow to enter the wheel more tangentially, which reduces the ultimate flow capacity of the turbine wheel. This will tend to increase exhaust backpressure and hence reduce the engine's ability to "breathe" effectively at high RPM, adversely affecting peak engine power.

Conversely, using a larger A/R will lower exhaust gas velocity, and delay boost rise. The flow in a larger A/R housing enters the wheel in a more radial fashion, increasing the wheel's effective flow capacity, resulting in lower backpressure and better power at higher engine speeds.

When deciding between A/R options, be realistic with the intended vehicle use and use the A/R to bias the performance toward the desired powerband characteristic.

Here's a simplistic look at comparing turbine housing geometry with different applications. By comparing different turbine housing A/R, it is often possible to determine the intended use of the system.

Imagine two 3.5L engines both using GT30R turbochargers. The only difference between the two engines is a different turbine housing A/R; otherwise the two engines are identical:
1. Engine #1 has turbine housing with an A/R of 0.63
2. Engine #2 has a turbine housing with an A/R of 1.06.

What can we infer about the intended use and the turbocharger matching for each engine?

Engine#1: This engine is using a smaller A/R turbine housing (0.63) thus biased more towards low-end torque and optimal boost response. Many would describe this as being more "fun" to drive on the street, as normal daily driving habits tend to favor transient response. However, at higher engine speeds, this smaller A/R housing will result in high backpressure, which can result in a loss of top end power. This type of engine performance is desirable for street applications where the low speed boost response and transient conditions are more important than top end power.

Engine #2: This engine is using a larger A/R turbine housing (1.06) and is biased towards peak horsepower, while sacrificing transient response and torque at very low engine speeds. The larger A/R turbine housing will continue to minimize backpressure at high rpm, to the benefit of engine peak power. On the other hand, this will also raise the engine speed at which the turbo can provide boost, increasing time to boost. The performance of Engine #2 is more desirable for racing applications than Engine #1 since Engine #2 will be operating at high engine speeds most of the time.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:49 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
I think its for a 6v92 Detroit would need some numbers off it to tell or better pictures from the side Ken
Old 10-27-2009, 10:18 PM

Maybe this will help
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm
Old 10-28-2009, 11:02 AM

i have 4 of these turbos just not have gotten a chance to get them all so maybe when i get the others i can get some numbers..
Old 10-28-2009, 11:40 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
airesearch turbos are typically used on detroits. and the color does kinda match. almost looks too green though. older detroits are sort of a light olive green. too bad the data plate is/looks scratched up or missing. sure would make research easier .
Old 10-30-2009, 11:40 PM

The color is Alpine green. Worked on a bunch of those rascals. If thats off a detroit it would have to be a 12v71, because all the other detroits I've seen with the exception of maybe a 16v149, have very small turbos. Relativly speaking. Now that I'm thinking of though the 12v has two turbos. One on each side. We have one at the junkyard at work. I'll have to look at it.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:54 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Seems to match the color of all of the Detroit's I have worked on.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Twin it up!
Old 11-01-2009, 12:58 PM

i dont think it will be good for a twin i was thinkin about putting it on the short bed but went to the junk yard today and found me a hx52 so that will be used on the short bed..

Quick Reply: what turbo is this