1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

what should I do for my first mod to a 93

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what should I do for my first mod to a 93

I just got my truck it's a 93 extended cab with an auto trans. I want to do some mods for power and economy. I'm thinking a 4 inch straight pipe and a 3200 RPM spring with tweaking the pump a bit. I think those should give me some more power and better fuel mileage. any input on what to do first or does that sound good?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:04 PM

Welcome to DTR and congrats on your new ol'First Gen

Get boost and EGT gauges first.

Seems like rule-of-thumb around this site =D

Last edited by GasganoFJ60; 02-06-2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes get gauges first as they will keep an eye on things its very easy to get carried away with other mods and unknowingly get the EGTs too high and damage the engine with gauges you will be able to know what is going on and proceed with other mods. Next, would probably a smaller exhaust turbine.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:17 PM

Don't forget to tab the KDP. If it hasn't been done already.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A newer aftermarket torque converter does wonders I read. The most important thing with MPG's is the right foot.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:47 PM

KDP? I didn't really think much about gauges but I will look into those. Would I be best to put the EGT in pre or post turbo? I'm thinking just the exhaust would be fine before gauges and help out mileage?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
pre turbo is ur best bet, and drill the hole on the backside of the header were the flange to ur turbo is, it seams to get the reading of the back # 6 piston the hottest one, and the KDP is the tab that is in the front gear casing of the engine, im sure someone can post a picture of it, it may fall out of it's little hole and can do extensive damage to the gears in the front of your engine as well as possibly brake a cam and could total the engine. the exhausr is probly ok to do before guages since it most likly will run cooler anyway.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:59 PM

By a pyro that's meant to go in the exhaust manifold

Killer Dow Pin "KDP'..........Here is some good reading on the subject.......Pulled this out of the Sticky above.

KDP repair:
http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/...hp?topic=70419

Flash
Old 02-06-2008, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by flashgordon
403 ERROR - FORBIDDEN Thanks for the info I'm new to the diesel and turbo worlds and they seem a lot different that the N.A. gasser I'm used to.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Chapter President

Exclamation

Originally Posted by mullishacrew
pre turbo is ur best bet, and drill the hole on the backside of the header were the flange to ur turbo is, it seams to get the reading of the back # 6 piston the hottest one, and the KDP is the tab that is in the front gear casing of the engine, im sure someone can post a picture of it, it may fall out of it's little hole and can do extensive damage to the gears in the front of your engine as well as possibly brake a cam and could total the engine. the exhausr is probly ok to do before guages since it most likly will run cooler anyway.

KDP = KILLER DOWEL PIN not a tab, the tab is what is used to retain the dowel pin from falliing out (aftermarket, as it were). You have to also watch out for killer timing cover bolts, both the bolts and the dowel pin are positioned above the timing gears inside the cover on the front of the engine. They tend to loosen and fall out, when this occurs they fall directly in to the rotating gears, some have survived KDP but not the KTCB. Check the sticky for info (link at top of 1st gen forum) Some peen the KDP with a hammer, others tab it with a flat tab bolted with one of the KTCB's or a loop of wire/coat hangar with the same bolt. Wannadiesel drills and taps a hole through the cover and retains it with a bolt from the out side. Thread locker and a re-torque is the cure for all the bolts. This requires removal of the cover to fix. Often a new crank and cover gasket are required. As to when these will fall out it is a gamble. some never do, some already have!

As for first mod I would go with gauges, exhaust or intake. Gauges would be the first choice. When upping fuel EGT (exhaust gas temp) can become dangerous to the turbo and engine. Exhaust and intakes tend to only reduce EGT so you are mostly safe. But if you have the money a good pyrometer and boost gauge are what I would recommend.

I deleted my muffler and I have no gauges, an intake is probably next, then gauges or visa versa.

Hope I was helpful!

D-C out!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Chapter President

Dang you guys!! I need to post shorter posts! or type faster!

Its all good info!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:15 PM

http://www.cumminsdatabase.com/read.php?id=111, then look at the second section, the reassembly of the motor, the first part is the part thats been damaged. isent to much of a fix, just the tab you will need the timing case cover gasket, and the seals.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:16 PM

i believe TST performance diesel has the KDP kit in there 12v perfromance section for pritty cheap.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by user name
403 ERROR - FORBIDDEN Thanks for the info I'm new to the diesel and turbo worlds and they seem a lot different that the N.A. gasser I'm used to.
SORRY, Guess that one has gone dead on us
Old 02-06-2008, 10:26 PM

the dowel pin doesn't look to bad to fix if I can get the time to do it anything other than the bolts that will kill my engine(the only part that makes this truck worth anything)?

Quick Reply: what should I do for my first mod to a 93