1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What is a KDP and why do you kill it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow What is a KDP and why do you kill it?

What is a KDP and why do you kill it? I have a 92 d350, does it have a KDP in need of killing? I got this truck from my dad a few years ago and I think it is bone stock except for the ring and pinion has been geared down in the pumpkin. It needs some maintenance and mods. Tires 1st though; right now it has 14 year old dry rot racing slicks, which are older than my kids! Seriously, these tires are smoother than a kitchen countertop! And full of cracks! Once i get a real job I'll have some more money to throw at it!
Thank you DTR for the resources and inspiration.
Does this seem like a good order of priorities? 1. tires. 2. anti gel for fuel. 3. fuel. 4. oil change and maint. 5. fuel pressure indicator and inline filter. 6. more guages on a cluster. 7. rebuild front end and ball joints. 8. 4x4 conversion.
What are some common things other people have done to their trucks?
Old 01-24-2012, 06:36 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
The KDP, aka, Killer Dowel Pin, is simply an alignment pin that is only used during assembly of the engine. It is used to align the timing case to the engine block. As most of the horror stories can prove, it's not a very tight fit. Thus, vibrations over the many years and miles these trucks have seen can cause the dowel pin to work loose and eventually fall out if not tabbed or "killed" before it does so. If it does fall out, it tends to get forced between the cam and injection pump gear or the cam and the crank. The hardened pin separates things, badly. Hence, the appropriate nickname, Killer Dowel Pin.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:47 PM

Tires, then KDP second before all that other crap. Follow BC847's front crank seal procedure in the Sticky when you do it.

For your other questions, read the Sticky over and over and over and over..and you still wont know it all.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2012, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ARbowhunter7
read the Sticky over and over and over and over..and you still wont know it all.
Best advice you will get. I have read through the sticky so many times I feel like I lost a part of my life, but it is very much worth it for the knowledge it contains. It's the 1st gen bible.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:26 PM

KDP or not?

Is there any way of telling if the KDP has been killed or not? The previous owner might have done it already. I'm trying to determine whether or not my truck needs it. I'm the third or maybe fourth owner. Am i better off having Cummins of Rocky Mountain do it, or is it something I can do in my driveway in an hour? I have been reading the stickies and it looks like the front of the motor comes off for this and the water and vacuum pumps should be replaced at this time also? While being pretty handy with a wrench, I'm afraid this might be too much for me to do myself. You know, a fuel heater o-ring and filter is one thing, but now I am intimidated. Thank you for your advice and tips on which direction to go with this.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pull the timing case is the only way I know to be able to tell. The case bolts being loose seem to be the biggest worry though. I have read many post that people have said the KDP was still embedded on their truck but the bolts were loose.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can tighten the case bolts with a box wrench that fits behind the pulley with out removing anything after you have done the kdp procedure but before you put it back together. I have been thinking of pulling the oil filler neck and seeing if i could get my see snake camera in . one look at the dowel pin and i will know for sure .the camera is the thickness of a pencil and bends well for looking in wall cavities .
Old 01-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by 92betsy
Pull the timing case is the only way I know to be able to tell. The case bolts being loose seem to be the biggest worry though. I have read many post that people have said the KDP was still embedded on their truck but the bolts were loose.
There is one way to tell, probably not that common though ...Mark
Old 01-25-2012, 01:28 PM

Arrow KDP procedure?

"There is one way to tell, probably not that common though ...Mark."
Hey Mark, thank you for your input, but how do I find out? Common or uncommon? Are there multiple ways? Common and uncommon? I hate to just keep driving with a wait n see attitude.
Is the timing case hard to remove?
As I said before: Am i better off having Cummins of Rocky Mountain do it, or is it something I can do in my driveway in an hour?
I've heard of snake cameras, but I'm not really sure what to look for or where to put it!
Also, I'm having a hard time finding the sticky referring to the KDP procedure.
I just love this old truck and I want to try and do the right thing.
I really do appreciate all the input and thank you for your time.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by davidmiller4747
"There is one way to tell, probably not that common though ...Mark."
Hey Mark, thank you for your input, but how do I find out? Common or uncommon? Are there multiple ways? Common and uncommon? I hate to just keep driving with a wait n see attitude.
Is the timing case hard to remove?
As I said before: Am i better off having Cummins of Rocky Mountain do it, or is it something I can do in my driveway in an hour?
I've heard of snake cameras, but I'm not really sure what to look for or where to put it!
Also, I'm having a hard time finding the sticky referring to the KDP procedure.
I just love this old truck and I want to try and do the right thing.
I really do appreciate all the input and thank you for your time.

I would look around the firewall and see if someone wrote down that it had been done. It is a pretty easy job if you have decent mechanical skills. Everything you need to know is on this forum. The hardest part that many people find is removing the fan, but there is a way to pull it without messing with the big, reverse threaded nut. I couldn't sleep not knowing, so it is worth a few hours to find out. The timing case cap bolts are a greater threat and can be tightened and threadlocked at the same time. My KSP was fine, but my bolts were loose (along with a few screws )...Mark
Old 01-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Administrator

In post #8 of this thread has a couple links...Mark