1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What to do about my leaky power steering? Also a bunch of other questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy What to do about my leaky power steering? Also a bunch of other questions

Well I just got my 1st gen this week and I have already tore into it as the maiden voyage went well until the later part of it when my power steering decided to crap out . I pulled it into my garage that night and found nothing on the dipstick for steering fluid. Went and picked some up with "leak-stop" stuff in it. I'm not sure how much that the fluid will stop the leak but I'm not putting much faith into it. I Put the correct amount of fluid in and I took it for a little test spin around the block (all of 500 feet with one big turn around) and the steering is better than it was but it still can be tough at low RPMs. I'm guessing this is because the motor isn't turning the pump fast enough?
I haven't driven it since because I don't have a plate or insurance on it yet. I wanted some ideas/input as to what I should do about this problem. Should I:

A) Rebuild the pump with all new gaskets
B) Let it leak and keep adding fluid when low
C)Buy a rebuilt pump
D)Buy a pump from a pick-your-part place (that isn't leaking)

Now on to some other questions I have

1) how much oil does this motor take? I bought 8L (roughly 2 gallons I think) of Shell Rotella 15W40 (dino blend). Is this enough or do I need more. I also got a Fram oil filter, are these good or bad? Its all they had at the time so I took it. I'm pretty sure fram is a good oil filter?

2) What are the better performance drop-in air filters? My air filter is rediculously dirty and I figured I might as well start modding there. I was thinking AFE or AirRaid would be a good choice.
3) what fuse controls the light to the 4x4 engaged light? When I put it in 4hi or 4lo it doesn't light up
4) My ABS light is always on and I don't know what to think of it. The previous owner said he redid the brakes 3 years ago with 1-ton brakes. Maybe he did something to make it set off?
5) What tachometer will plug in to the 4-pin harness? I was thinking an AutoMeter gauge, but I'm not sure how they wire theire stuff

Sorry for all the questions and the long post. I'm just looking for some help/insight on what to do. This is my first diesel so I'm a little green with this. I know a lot about maintenence and automotives etc but its mainly with gassers.

Thanks
NoSparkplugs
Old 07-26-2005, 11:04 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Regarding the power steering, if the fluid got low and ingested air, it may be awhile before it feels normal again. These units are horrible to bleed. If it is the pump that's leaking, you can reseal it. If it has lots of miles, I would get a reman.

1) The engine holds 12 litres. I wouldn't use a Fram filter. There is a Dodge bulletin listing approved filters. I stick with Chrysler or Fleetguard personally.

2) I still use a paper element. I will leave this item for others to comment on.

3) Check all the fuses, but the usual culprit is a bad bulb, or the switch on top of the transfer case. Jump the switch with a wire to see if the light comes on.

4) Codes can be retrieved from the RWAL system. The most common failure is the rear axle sensor or its wiring. If there are no codes, there may be a vacuum leak that trips the low vacuum switch. Vacuum boosters are common to leak.

5) Unknown. Sorry.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
torquefan covered everything well, except its 12 quarts not liters. One of the most popular air filters is the BHAF others can tell you a vender, i use stock wix filters but any quality filter should be fine.
ABS lights are a pain, if your brake lights arent working check the fuse the ABS will stay on if brake fuse is out.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:55 AM

i can answer #5... well part of it at least. i think isspro makes a tach that uses the existing harness, but autometer makes a z series 2 5/8 gauge that runs off the alternator. here are the guages and autometer #'s that i have
2 5/8 z series tach 2888
2" z series 0-60psi boost 2617
2" z series pyrometer (with probe) 2654
dual a pillar gauge holder (for 86-93 dodge ram) 15198
I think i spent just under $375 for all (after 9.25% sales tax for Tenn)

i posted a picture, but then accidentally deleted it from my gallery...oops, once it's approved i'll post it again, or you can just look in there.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:42 PM

for your filter i got a k/n and its just fine

power steering i had same prob im too leazy to fix it so i put 15w40 in it it slowed it down reel good

other than that i dont no