1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:36 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Well tonight I decided I would try and pop out the super long push rod on my hydroboost unit...since it came from a 2000 cummins truck. Well after some redneck engineering, and totally ignoring Mknittles neat little push rod pulling tool, I ended up wrecking my unit!....

Guess you really do need to make sure your puller rests against the small crimped collar.

Should have read the post #29 in this thread...it was posted up, but I never did click the link.

1972 Highlander 6.0/4L80E/LoMax - Page 2 - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

(NOTE: you can't press off of the hydroboost housing itself, you have to press against the little collar that is crimped around the ball end)
Guess I'm heading to the wreckers to grab one from a 90's astro van. I had everything to do the swap finally....and the push rod was the last thing I needed to get out of the way. Hope the 2nd Gen lines I have will work on the GM unit.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:00 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by d9inger
The 93' W250 won't start. Battery is fully charged, reading 12.6V or so, I can jump the starter with a pair of pliers and it runs (with the key on), battery voltage reads 13.9V running.

Pulled the connector for the relay, put battery voltage to the red (I think it was red) on the relay plug and it started. Ignition still on.

shut down

Checked the yellow wire (still unplugged from the relay) with the key in run, zero V, turned the key intermittent to start and I get 8.5-9V

I'm guessing that relay will not work with 9V...

All fuses are OK,

I'm only getting ~9V to the yellow wire at my relay.

Suggestions?

bad relay?
Bad ignition switch? (wipers work with it on run)

Oh yeah

I put a T-pin in the relay connector on the yellow wire, plugged the relay back in and put battery voltage to the yellow wire side of the relay and it started.

unless I have a weak relay, I have a voltage loss somewhere between my ignition switch and the starter relay.... in my opinion.

any ideas?
Everything engine runs off the red feed wire to the ignition switch. The start contact is a different contact, of course than the run contact.

Check the yellow wire at the ignition switch in the start position. If it's high, the clutch switch (or it's wiring) is bad. If it's low, check the red wire in start position. If it's low, feed from the battery is weak. If it's high, ignition switch is bad.

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Well tonight I decided I would try and pop out the super long push rod on my hydroboost unit...since it came from a 2000 cummins truck. Well after some redneck engineering, and totally ignoring Mknittles neat little push rod pulling tool, I ended up wrecking my unit!....
I've never done anything like that.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:53 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Everything engine runs off the red feed wire to the ignition switch. The start contact is a different contact, of course than the run contact.

Check the yellow wire at the ignition switch in the start position. If it's high, the clutch switch (or it's wiring) is bad. If it's low, check the red wire in start position. If it's low, feed from the battery is weak. If it's high, ignition switch is bad.

I've never done anything like that.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin

Checked it again this morning at the relay connector, unplugged, yellow wire, I got 11.8V with the key to start. Confirmed ground on the little brown wires, (guessing the clutch switch was jumped long ago) plugged the relay back in and it fired right up.

So it healed itself.... for now.

Thanks j_martin for the assistance.

Dave
Old 10-07-2015, 10:29 AM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
I pulled out the tail lights and front turn signals and oil undercoated my '91.0 with Bar and Chain oil and a few shots of diesel oil to thin it out.
It needed it to seal up the DRY west coast frame and sheetmetal.
Then I took it out for a spin to cover it with a little road dust and sand.
I will pull it off the road for the winter, before the salt trucks get going.

I also did my '95 at the same time as that will see the salty roads all winter.
I will be putting the turn signals back in there next after lunch.

I am planning on doing the white crew next as that has some metal that is looking a little dry as well.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by d9inger
Checked it again this morning at the relay connector, unplugged, yellow wire, I got 11.8V with the key to start. Confirmed ground on the little brown wires, (guessing the clutch switch was jumped long ago) plugged the relay back in and it fired right up.

So it healed itself.... for now.

Thanks j_martin for the assistance.

Dave
Unplugged, the reading is invalid. Even if only a few thousandths of an amp get through, you'll have full voltage. You need the relay coil in the circuit. Back probe the connector with a needle. An alternative would be to unplug and connect a small bulb to ground. A .250 tab disconnect male will go right into the relay connector.

Could be the wire is nearly broken right at the relay connector, sometimes making it and sometimes not. Another possibility is ignition switch or related connector intermittent.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:49 AM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
I pulled out the tail lights and front turn signals and oil undercoated my '91.0 with Bar and Chain oil and a few shots of diesel oil to thin it out.
It needed it to seal up the DRY west coast frame and sheetmetal.
Then I took it out for a spin to cover it with a little road dust and sand.
I will pull it off the road for the winter, before the salt trucks get going.

I also did my '95 at the same time as that will see the salty roads all winter.
I will be putting the turn signals back in there next after lunch.

I am planning on doing the white crew next as that has some metal that is looking a little dry as well.
What did you use to spray it? Just a pump pressure canister, or something hooked to the air compressor?

And why pull the turn signals and tail lights for this?
Old 10-07-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
I used a Schulz style gun attached to my air compressor turned down to 60-70 PSI.
I bought the spray gun it at Auto Zone IIRC a few years ago.

I take the turn signals out so I can really get the oil in above the wheel wheels , front and back as that is where they rust out from.
It also helps me get it back down the rear of the front fenders.
I also soak the heck out of the cab supports, bed supports, behind the gas tank and under the spare tire which I lower as well.
I have worked on and seen plenty of rusty 1st gens, I know the weak points that rust first.
I sprayed the inside of the cab doors and in the roof line of the cab using Fluid Film spray cans already.
I did that as it smells better.
I sprayed the cab roof line, from the inside through the sun visor and headliner trim piece screw holes using the small red straw that come with the cans.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:23 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
I used a Schulz style gun attached to my air compressor turned down to 60-70 PSI.

I take the turn signals out so I can really get the oil in above the wheel wheels , front and back as that is where they rust out from.
I also soak the heck out of the cab supports, bed supports, behind the gas tank and under the spare tire which I lower as well.
I have worked on and seen plenty of rusty 1st gens, I know the weak points that rust first.
I sprayed the inside of the cab doors and in the roof line of the cab using Fluid Film spray cans already.
I sprayed the cab roof line, from the inside through the sun visor and headliner trim piece screw holes using the small red straw that come with the cans.
Tis the season. soon you will have dog poo dotted snow.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
Tis the season. soon you will have dog poo dotted snow.
If yall ever get sick of that cold stuff, come on down! The only thing cold we've got down here is the beer!
Old 10-08-2015, 09:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spent two months visiting sister in montpeliar with my 91-back in 98-(first salt it ever saw), and watched the first signs of frame rust already forming on the previously unmolested old girl. Man that climate is a killer
Old 10-09-2015, 08:28 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
had a spare headliner, flag, and spray glue in the garage. didn't turn out that great, but i'll probably go back to black when i redo my interior

Name:  20151009_200305_zpsoewti1ji.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  385.9 KB
Old 10-09-2015, 08:43 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by j.fonder
had a spare headliner, flag, and spray glue in the garage. didn't turn out that great, but i'll probably go back to black when i redo my interior

Well, that's interesting to look at, but might get a bit busy while driving. Something to get used to, I guess.

I'm sure there are flag purists who would take you out back and shoot you for doing that, but then again....
Old 10-09-2015, 08:56 PM

went to the boneyard today, and on the way, saw an old gasser. I found a bunch of new *USED* horns for my trucks. Figured I'd spent $20 and see what I could find. The guy at the boneyard said I looked to be a "bit horny" today. Yeah, but not for him...

Some old cool rides, like that chopped top boat, and a corvair. When was the last time you saw a corvair on the east coast ? Not many of them around.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-1009151048_hdr.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-1009151344.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-1009151111c.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-1009151116.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-1009151117_hdr.jpg  

Old 10-09-2015, 08:57 PM

I added these Dakota horns to my ride, right below the original ones. A little louder than before, but still just as annoying... so I accomplished my goal, I think ???
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-1009151513.jpg  

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?