1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 11:08 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo486
j.fonder, video of my air horns as you asked for. Tank pressure was a little over 105psi and engine was idling.

http://vid20.photobucket.com/albums/...psaolseyvo.mp4
I like it! thank you.

I think when I have my bed off I'm going to make a platform to mount everything to just aft of the cab, along the frame rail. been looking at the air horns of texas site, they have a united pacific system for $369. although I am growing a bit partial to the emergency tone horns.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
My Grover single is mounted under the cab on the outside of the frame below my window, I have it pointing rearwards canted towards the outside of the truck, I placed it here for a friendly reminder to the car next to me that is usually the one drifting into my side.

I have 2) 5 gallon dry tanks off a semi tractor and my Viair 380-c compressor is in the bed of the truck, the tanks stay charged to 175 psi, 1/2" nyflex air line feeds the lanyard valve with only 1/4" line to the horn.

As quiet and air tight as my truck is, when I blow my horn you can feel the floorboard of the truck rattle.

Jim
Old 09-06-2015, 08:18 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by crazy clem
Man your wife must be one heck of a woman to put up with cummins projects in the house. first the laundry line of parts outside then hydro boost in the kitchen , whats next tranny in the tub? All I've heard for the last three weeks at my place is when's the truck gonna be done ?
She came home from work, looked at it and didn't say anything. When we started dating the place was full of jeep parts. every once in a while she asks what something is.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:58 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
About those air horns...

Does the air that condenses in the tanks freeze in the winter ? Obviously, Jim can't help me there, but it's one of the concerns I've had about installing them. I hate my OEM horn in this truck, and I've been looking for alternatives for a while now.

BTW,

A bunch of buddies of mine showed up this weekend for a BBQ. I donned my top hat to show them my appreciation for vising us, and we all sat around and drank a few beers, had a few laughs.. Our "selfie" attached.

Good summer times, indeed....
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-me-weekend..jpg  
Old 09-06-2015, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
About those air horns...

Does the air that condenses in the tanks freeze in the winter ? Obviously, Jim can't help me there, but it's one of the concerns I've had about installing them. I hate my OEM horn in this truck, and I've been looking for alternatives for a while now.

BTW,

A bunch of buddies of mine showed up this weekend for a BBQ. I donned my top hat to show them my appreciation for vising us, and we all sat around and drank a few beers, had a few laughs.. Our "selfie" attached.

Good summer times, indeed....
Yes condensation from compressed air will freeze. that is why large trucks have air dryers.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:23 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
In a system without a dryer, it's also a good idea to have a drain valve in the tank(s) in order to periodically drain any moisture that has accumulated within. That condensation can eventually begin to corroded components from the inside out.

I have a much larger tank that I plan to install in place of the existing, 2-2.5gal tank I have now. The existing one doesn't have provisions for a drain valve. The only 2 bungs welded to it are the inlet and the outlet. In order to get air to the horns, I had to plumb a 'T' inline with the air compressor outlet going into the tank. The other bung has a pressure gauge in it. The only way for either of the bungs to have a drain valve installed would be to install the tank in a vertical orientation. No easy or aesthetically pleasing way to do that. IIRC, the larger tank has more than 2 bungs in it. I plan to build a box for it and the air compressor and mount it to the passenger side frame rail underneath the bed.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Most vehicles with an engine driven air compressor have an automatic drain valve that cycles in unison with the D2 unloader valve, as the compressor cycles the drain valve will spit.
Air from a compressor can be very hot and humid hot enough to need a ping chamber to suppress the flame exiting the compressor, these were usually on Detroit's.

BTW yes condensation is a concern, already mentioned the dehumidifier, there is also an alcohol injector.

Jim
Old 09-06-2015, 10:37 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Yesterday My brother and I helped my Mother finish moving the last of her stuff out of the house.

Name:  moving%20mon%20sept%202105%201_zpsgj8bfwzp.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  170.1 KB

Name:  Moving%20mom%20sept%202015_zpscf4xqmda.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  189.6 KB
Old 09-07-2015, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Yesterday My brother and I helped my Mother finish moving the last of her stuff out of the house.

Bet you are glad that part is done. moving is always a PITA.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by mknittle
moving is always a PITA.
Hey TC

Where is mom moving ?? Moving in with you ? Taking on care for mom ?
Nice to see patches being worked..

No linex again, I see
Old 09-07-2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by mknittle
Bet you are glad that part is done. moving is always a PITA.
Out of the house is done, but pretty much everything is in my brother big barn. We now have to sort it all, and either sell it, donate it, give it away or take to a local auction house.....so be plenty more loads to haul.

Originally Posted by NJTman
Hey TC

Where is mom moving ?? Moving in with you ? Taking on care for mom ?
Nice to see patches being worked..

No linex again, I see
After Dad passed away Mom gave it a good year alone in the house...but she couldn't do it anymore. SO she actually moved into a retirement community apartment complex. It is a private care facility that offers increased levels of care as the people in the apartments age. Right now Mom does not require any assistance really....so she just lives there.

Ahhh LineX....never again!
Old 09-07-2015, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think I fixed my cruise control.

I was driving home a couple months ago fiddling with the buttons as I THOUGHT they didn't work.

All of a sudden I am starting to go up a small hill and my accelerator mashed itself. Let's just say I pooped my shorts.

I thought it was a fluke and about a mile later it did it again. Since I was short of physical excrement, my mouth spewed some. I realized that cruise decided to work then. It was BLISSFUL to have it working. Then it quit the next morning and nothing.

So today I tore the buttons off. I looked at the buttons from the side and noticed the SET/DECEL button was constantly depressed. I took it apart and there is a PCB where it has a power that splits to the 2 switches. This is held down by 2 little plastic clips. The one had broken off and lodged itself under the PCB pushing up on it. I removed it and tested the rocker switch that engages it. The board no longer makes it touch until the rocker is moved.

I cannot wait until tomorrow to try it out.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Haven't been on for a while but today I tried to figure out my turn signal problem. In the last few months, I installed my Bilstiens, I should have done that a long time ago, and I got new wheels for the old jalopy.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
After Dad passed away Mom gave it a good year alone in the house...but she couldn't do it anymore. SO she actually moved into a retirement community apartment complex. It is a private care facility that offers increased levels of care as the people in the apartments age. Right now Mom does not require any assistance really....so she just lives there.

Ahhh LineX....never again!
Well, as long as mom's happy.... and healthy.... that's all that counts, right ?

What are your plans for the bed, if anything ? Scratch up a new paint job, or look for another alternative, now that Linex has been eliminated from the lineup.

IMO, it's sad that a poor installer can ruin a good product, and permanently affect one's opinion on it. My bumper loved it, but then again this place here is TOP NOTCH regarding their installation procedures of anything they do.

Heck, if you lived here, I'd talk them into discounting it for you.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:13 AM

Hillbilly...Truck is looking good...Thanks for stopping in and showing us a pic of the progress.

T-Man....The bed will just stay painted...whenever that finally happens...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?