1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 11:16 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
We have toxic air, vs your nice clean air, so between the road salt, the sprayed on brine, and the acid filled air, not much holds up here

This is the connector and relay system I'm using for the Headlamp relays I put in by Jim Lane. Nice tight seal, and (hopefully) will last longer. Very similar to a GM connector..

Amazon.com: HELLA H84709001 Iso Weatherproof Relay Connector with 12" Leads: Automotive
The relays

Amazon.com: HELLA 007794311 12V 20/40 Amp SPDT RES Relay with Weatherproof Bracket: Automotive
I have a couple of HELLA connectors on hand. The BR-05's are tighter, more versatile, and installed with standard faston connectors and tooling which eliminates in line splices. Read that "professional".
Old 07-19-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Took the puppies and my daughter out to a backwoods pond with the crew cab, for two hours, with the kayaks in the back.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
Took the puppies and my daughter out to a backwoods pond with the crew cab, for two hours, with the kayaks in the back.
Sounds like fun. nothing like puppies. My last one is six years old now. She was eleven days old when I got her She was in a baby sock wrapped in a small dish towel She is a Chihuahua
Old 07-22-2015, 06:52 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Received my new sealed relays to replace the original Jim lane relays I have in the Doodge....

Name:  0719152001_zps5twcgsv4.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  68.9 KB

Witnessed a fire cloud that seemed to follow me wherever I went today

Name:  0722150607_HDR_zpsk6qipyes.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  157.5 KB

Broke my PAT Gun

Name:  0722150850_zpst7ft21hw.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  254.1 KB

And I met god. Sure is tan for a deity, eh ?

Name:  GOD_zpstnrmhjwg.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  162.9 KB
Old 07-22-2015, 11:21 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Didn't you already do those relays?
Old 07-23-2015, 05:29 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Didn't you already do those relays?
Yes, a few years back. Worked great since.

I'm replacing them, as they're beginning to show signs of deterioration due to our salt air. This way, I'll feel comfortable being out in the snow at 3:00am, and not having to think about my relays failing because of corrosion.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:25 AM

Well, my '91.0 left me with in a parking lot with a no fuel sort of problem.
Seems like the truck is sucking in some air in the line.
The truck was on its first tank of fuel that I have owned it for.
The tank still read 1/8 full.
It has been working great with a full tank.
As the tank gets lower, I have been getting a hard start the last few mornings like it is getting a little air in the fuel line.
Not very hard to start but it might stall once or twice.

When we where stranded in a parking lot, I got it to fire back up using the lift pump primer.
I drove it 1/2 mile to the Post Office, and left it running.
When I came back it was running a little rough, and when I gave it some fuel it died.
I started to suspect low fuel.
My daughter and I walked to the auto parts store where they loaned me a tank and a 10MM box end wrench.
We then walked to the diesel station and filled up the 1 gallon tank.
We "filled" up the tank and I cracked the 10MM bleeder at the top of the fuel filter, and it let of bubbles and fuel.
I primed it with the lift pump, and got her to fired up.
We drove it right to the diesel station and filled it up.
It only took 20 gallons, so I am surprised it was acting like it was running out of fuel.
I am thinking the fuel sending unit might be the problem. Once the tank was full again, the fuel doesn't seem to be draining back to the tank, making the hard start problem like it does on a 1/4 full tank.
I am wondering if those metal lines that circle around that fuel sending unit might have a pin hole it it..
This would explain why it works great when the tank is full. As it would only suck air/drain fuel back to the tank, when the hole was above the fuel line in the tank.

So while it was in the shop and I was under the hood anyway yesterday, I:
Rotated the fuel pin 110*
Took the fuel pin safety collar off the fuel screw and turned it in 1 1/2 turns
Adjusted idle and the throttle rod.
Then started to install some aftermarket speakers in the doors before I decided to stop working and just drink beer.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:48 AM

It's pretty normal to have 5 gallons or so in it when the gauge hits empty. Low fuel light usually goes on at about 6 gallons. I think it's a form of idiot proofing it for those who push empty too often. It's real detrimental to a diesel fuel system.

I'd say you have a pinhole inside the tank. You could also have a hose clamp problem that manifests at higher vacuum in the suction line from the tank to the lift pump. At any rate, find it and get it fixed before you do serious damage to the IP.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:47 PM

I am just working out the bugs on this new to me truck.
I have only put 300 miles or so on it.
I was thinking it had a leak in a line from the tank to the motor the first morning or two it started with a hesitation.
I tried parking in nose down so it would not drain back to the tank [if that was the problem].
The next morning it still started and stalled twice.
Then after it died completely on me the other day, I started to think of the chance that the leak is in the tanks sending unit.
I will figure it out without driving it a lot.
I am just trying to narrow it down.
Right now with a 3/4 full tank it starts and acts just like it should.
I don't want to drop the tank on just a hunch.
If it starts to at up at 1/3 - 1/4 tank again, I will drop the tank and swap it out with a spare sending unit I have.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:13 PM

I am just working out the bugs on this new to me truck.
I have only put 300 miles or so on it.
I was thinking it had a leak in a line from the tank to the motor the first morning or two it started with a hesitation.
I tried parking in nose down so it would not drain back to the tank [if that was the problem].
The next morning it still started and stalled twice.
Then after it died completely on me the other day, I started to think of the chance that the leak is in the tanks sending unit.
I will figure it out without driving it a lot.
I am just trying to narrow it down.
Right now with a 3/4 full tank it starts and acts just like it should.
I don't want to drop the tank on just a hunch.
If it starts to at up at 1/3 - 1/4 tank again, I will drop the tank and swap it out with a spare sending unit I have.
Just for sheets and giggles, closely examine everything from the tank to the lift pump. Clamps tight, hoses in good shape, pipes not real rusty, etc.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:23 PM

That sounds like time well spent as well, as that would be the other likely culprit.
This is a California truck all its life till last Nov. when it was driven to Southern VT.
The rust is VERY minimal, but the sun burned, and dry cracked stuff is everywhere.
I could see a cracked rubber hose making the engine act the same.

If I have to drop the tank I will use it as an opportunity to oil under coat the frame behind the fuel tank.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:35 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Why not just lift the be doff...8 bolts, couple taillight plugs, and off it comes. Makes working on the fuel tank real easy.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:55 AM

Then I could oil under coat half the frame from ABOVE, rather than laying in the drippy oil.
What fun would that be?

It would probably take as long dropping the tank and the spare tire to get at the frame with the Schulz gun as popping the bed off.

Trashing, you have a solid case for pulling the bed.

I wil weight my options over a cold beer tonight in the shop.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:07 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Then I could oil under coat half the frame from ABOVE, rather than laying in the drippy oil.
What fun would that be?

It would probably take as long dropping the tank and the spare tire to get at the frame with the Schulz gun as popping the bed off.

Trashing, you have a solid case for pulling the bed.

I wil weight my options over a cold beer tonight in the shop.
Man I miss Beer.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by mknittle
Man I miss Beer.
I do too, (a little) but I've decided the risk (to me) isn't worth the entertainment value.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?