1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJTman
My Brick is at the shop having the fender painted that I scratched backing my trailer into the yard......

in the meantime...

Fair warning to you guys:
When I first took my plow apart this year, another snow storm moved in, and i needed to put the plow back together for my commercial account who wanted the lot done for the event.

With that.. I misplaced a few of the bolts that I had with the plow, so I went to Blowes (Lowes) Home Impruuuveeement and bought what I needed for quick reassembly. Normally, I buy from Fastenal, but I was in a pinch.

SO, fast forwards to taking the plow back apart:

After one storm, which consisted of two commercial lots, and a few residentials, I took the plow back a part again, and found the new bolts I bought were BENT. I was floored that after only one push they were shot.

So I brought the bolts to fastenal to get the Grade 5 bolts I needed, and western specifies for their plows. When I showed them the bolts they said:

"oh, you have grade 2 bolts here, and that's why they bent ".

Turns out Blowes is selling GR 2 bolts as GR 5. Nice, huh ? So for everyone out there who works on your own (anything).... use their crap at your own risk.

Hard to see in this pic, but the bolt is banana shaped.

Real GR 5 bolts have the 3 lines on the bolt head like the one on top in this picture. GR 2 bolts (bottom bolt) have no lines, but letters so the check out girls know what bolts you're getting.

Here are the larger 5/8" bolts that hold the quadrant to the blade, and you can see the Banana Bolt in the left hand side of the picture on the seat of my truck.

One Push and even the 5/8" bolts were slightly curved. Again, use at your own risk...

Thanks for posting this T
This post got me wondering I rebuilt my boat trailer over the winter.

For some bolts Mainly sat&sun days I went to the local Ace ( champion bolt closed on week ends) Some the sold as 5s turn out to be 2s. Rotten thing is I just put the boat on this trailer & sold my old one. So now I get to do this some in the driveway others I have to do at the ramp.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:10 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
When you assume.....just as I did....that you're getting what you think you're getting....it's a kick in the star to remind yourself to not assume.

I knew that bolts are graded, but again I assumed they were gr5..and will check from now on

Glad I didn't pay the price of failure because of it
Old 06-10-2015, 12:20 PM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
I use grade 8 or better for anything that has any stress on it.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dropped a grenade in my transmission.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Old 06-13-2015, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by slatemd
I dropped a grenade in my transmission.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
AWWWW man I hate it when that happens
Old 06-13-2015, 06:16 PM

I painted a couple small parts this morning. then it got too HOT out to do much. 109* on our deck in the shade.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by mknittle
109* on our deck in the shade.
Precisely why when I visited CA, I never went back...

I hate the heat. Today was ~86F and it wasn't fun.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:27 PM

Today, I started putting my truck back together again, after the body shop had it too long.

They re-did the roof rain gutter AGAIN and fixed my fender I creased a few weeks back. That roof rail design is a real PITA to say the least. If I ever restore one of these trucks, the first thing I'm doing is cutting that gutter off, and welding those inner panels together... they say 3 times is a charm, but this is asinine.....
Old 06-13-2015, 07:45 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Precisely why when I visited CA, I never went back...

I hate the heat. Today was ~86F and it wasn't fun.
I'd take 109F of dry norcal heat than 86F of east coast humidity any day.

I didn't do anything to my first gen (engine) today. Last week though I pulled my stock original non i/c 9mm tipped injectors and took them in to diamond diesel to have them pop tested. You'd think 25 years and 85K miles there would be some issues, but they all sprayed and popped perfectly. It is nice to save 400-600 bucks on new injectors. Not only was the pop test free, they gave me new saddle washers, hold down nut square orings, and tip seals for free.

I have bought 2 sets of new injectors from them and a rebuilt VE pump in the past though...
Old 06-14-2015, 04:34 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
What I did on my summer vacation. On Monday I rebuit the front end, ball joints, control arm bushings, strut rod bushings, inner and outer tie rods, sleeves, idler arm and drag link. I also replaced the front coils with standard 1 ton springs and shocks all the way around. I bled the brakes and aligned it Tuesday then took the rest of the day off. The truck sits at least 4 inches higher now in the front. Before and after pics.

Then on Wednesday I made a gauge plate to install the Max Tow boost and EGT gauges my boys gave me for Christmas last year and then installed the gauges on Thursday along with some wiring repairs in the dash and LED dash light bulbs. Crappy pic I know, too much glare.

On Friday I did the high blower relay mod, big difference and then Saturday I removed the vinyl floor mat I installed last year and replaced it with carpet from ACC with the heavier backing. It looks awesome and really quieted the noise down in the cab too. I should take a pic of that too.

For my last day of vacation though I'm just going to take it easy, drink some beer and play my guitar.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-gmc-028.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-gauges-001.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-gauges-003.jpg  
Old 06-14-2015, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
For my last day of vacation though I'm just going to take it easy, drink some beer and play my guitar.
I like your thoughts...

Nice Rig....Looks rust free....
Old 06-14-2015, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
What I did on my summer vacation. On Monday I rebuit the front end, ball joints, control arm bushings, strut rod bushings, inner and outer tie rods, sleeves, idler arm and drag link. I also replaced the front coils with standard 1 ton springs and shocks all the way around. I bled the brakes and aligned it Tuesday then took the rest of the day off. The truck sits at least 4 inches higher now in the front. Before and after pics.

Then on Wednesday I made a gauge plate to install the Max Tow boost and EGT gauges my boys gave me for Christmas last year and then installed the gauges on Thursday along with some wiring repairs in the dash and LED dash light bulbs. Crappy pic I know, too much glare.

On Friday I did the high blower relay mod, big difference and then Saturday I removed the vinyl floor mat I installed last year and replaced it with carpet from ACC with the heavier backing. It looks awesome and really quieted the noise down in the cab too. I should take a pic of that too.

Looks good.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:57 AM

It's beginning to look a lot like christmas:

Name:  0612151320_zpsxvgzptar.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  189.1 KB

Name:  0612151458_zpsaocm2jzc.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  208.1 KB
Old 06-14-2015, 08:13 AM

So, I get hit in the rear the other day.

I just got my truck back from the painter, and I drove it to the gym. As I'm standing in the parking lot, admiring the new paint,

Before:

Name:  0428151345_zpsek0pjjqs.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  89.6 KB

Now:

Name:  0613151759_zpsamx0svax.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  165.5 KB

my truck moves forwards and backwards just a smidge. This pineapple hit my parked truck as he threw his truck into park. I mean really ?

So I walk up to him, still in the truck, and say "I mean really ? ".

He gets out and says sorry, and backs up the truck...

Name:  0612151743a_zps9nc7bjai.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  195.5 KB

Name:  0612151751_zpst1ysiork.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  295.4 KB

Nothing happened to my truck, but his truck was scratched. He apologized again, asked if there was anything wrong with my truck, which I said no, and he went into the gym to work out.

I.... like a well trained puppy.... call my wife (insurance agent for the last 32 years) and ask her "do I have to be worried ? "

She says to call the police and do an incident report. Even though there's no damage to my truck, she said that if I leave the scene, and he's "unscrupulous" (no way, not in New Jersey), that he can call the police and say that I backed into his truck, and left (Hit and run).

So I called the police, filed a report and had him tell the cops he hit me, and I didn't hit him. Even though his truck had a simple 3" long scratch on the bumper, it's an easy $1000 to repair it. No charges filed, no insurance involvement. Just documenting the incident. Stupid litigious society we're existing in.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:38 AM

So, I get hit in the rear the other day.

I just got my truck back from the painter, and I drove it to the gym. As I'm standing in the parking lot, admiring the new paint,

Before:

Now:

my truck moves forwards and backwards just a smidge. This pineapple hit my parked truck as he threw his truck into park. I mean really ?

So I walk up to him, still in the truck, and say "I mean really ? ".

He gets out and says sorry, and backs up the truck...

Nothing happened to my truck, but his truck was scratched. He apologized again, asked if there was anything wrong with my truck, which I said no, and he went into the gym to work out.

I.... like a well trained puppy.... call my wife (insurance agent for the last 32 years) and ask her "do I have to be worried ? "

She says to call the police and do an incident report. Even though there's no damage to my truck, she said that if I leave the scene, and he's "unscrupulous" (no way, not in New Jersey), that he can call the police and say that I backed into his truck, and left (Hit and run).

So I called the police, filed a report and had him tell the cops he hit me, and I didn't hit him. Even though his truck had a simple 3" long scratch on the bumper, it's an easy $1000 to repair it. No charges filed, no insurance involvement. Just documenting the incident. Stupid litigious society we're existing in.
"Stupid litigious society we're existing in" Yeap.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?