1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 07:15 AM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
I had to pay my property taxes, yesterday, so it make it as fun as possible, I drove the old crew cab down to town.
Man, after a long winter getting in the old crew, cruising the dirt roads, and cranking some Helmet [the band] is pretty fun.
I have some minor work [two slow tire leaks, fluid check, oil/filter change] and the black crew is ready for the first outing of the year too.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:22 AM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Bought a rebuilt VE pump for mine.

Hi All:

I've been away from this forum for quite a while because of health problems. The truck has been in a shop being repainted but since there was no hurry it wasn't getting done.

Well I'm going back there to get it finished and I bought a rebuilt VE pump to replace the one I messed up before I got sick. I can't decide if I want to swap the governor spring out before I put the pump on or wait a while until I know the rebuilt pump is OK before I start tweaking on it. I haven't exactly had good luck in that area.

Anyway leaving out in the morning (in a few hours actually) to travel back to KS where the truck is and will hopefully be driving it back. Now that I am retired I need something to do and I always enjoyed working on the truck.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:40 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Id say it's easier to put the spring in while the pump is out of the truck.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:23 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by PapeCAT
Had to pull the pump top, fuel pin was leaking. Found the new oring had been cut when I was installing the lock nut. Make sure you seat the oring fully in the recepticle with teh fuel pin in before installing in the pump, and then tightening the lock collar. Live and learn. Top hat flew away twice. (my first and second ever time experiencing that, not fun finding those little pieces.) took over 4 hours start to finish.

Oh yeah, I bought a viton oring kit at harbor freight and found a perfect match. Anyway, hope it lasts another 150K, I don't ever want to do that again.

I'm glad though I like wrenching on Cummins engines, otherwise I would be hating life. Still can't do a test run/leak test until tomorrow due to noise. Wish me luck.
That was the weee tiny little O-ring...correct? And you found a perfect match in a Viton O-ring kit....Sweet! Does it list the size for that one? I did the same as you on that seal once...nicked it as I was tightening up the collar. Had to buy another DGK-121 just for that little o-ring.

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I had to pay my property taxes, yesterday, so it make it as fun as possible, I drove the old crew cab down to town.
Man, after a long winter getting in the old crew, cruising the dirt roads, and cranking some Helmet [the band] is pretty fun.
I have some minor work [two slow tire leaks, fluid check, oil/filter change] and the black crew is ready for the first outing of the year too.
Gotta love getting back behind the wheel of the crew(s) after a long absence. Do love me some Helmet though. How about Prong, Tad, Fudge Tunnel or the likes?

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Hi All:

I've been away from this forum for quite a while because of health problems. The truck has been in a shop being repainted but since there was no hurry it wasn't getting done.

Well I'm going back there to get it finished and I bought a rebuilt VE pump to replace the one I messed up before I got sick. I can't decide if I want to swap the governor spring out before I put the pump on or wait a while until I know the rebuilt pump is OK before I start tweaking on it. I haven't exactly had good luck in that area.

Anyway leaving out in the morning (in a few hours actually) to travel back to KS where the truck is and will hopefully be driving it back. Now that I am retired I need something to do and I always enjoyed working on the truck.
Welcome back....glad you got the health problems sorted out. And now have tome for the old truck. They are therapeutic to work on to us people who love them.

As for your new IP. My recommendation is to install it as is. Then is there is any problem to get running, or performance issues, then you know it was nothing you inadvertently did.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:41 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
That was the weee tiny little O-ring...correct? And you found a perfect match in a Viton O-ring kit....Sweet! Does it list the size for that one? I did the same as you on that seal once...nicked it as I was tightening up the collar. Had to buy another DGK-121 just for that little o-ring.
Well I ran it and leak tested it this morning, looks dry as a duck fart as they say. The specs listed for the Oring was 3.69mm x 1.78mm. I know that doesn't match the specs Jim Lane listed in his write-up. But all I noticed is that it was a slightly more snug fit overall, on the pin and in the receptacle. But I tested it out before and after install and the pin rides easy and smooth with no leaks. The STP oil treatment is some stringy slick stuff, great for install oil.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
So which one are you driving to Carlisle this summer?
Old 05-16-2015, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by MrFusion
So which one are you driving to Carlisle this summer?
I would guess my daughter and I will be taking the black crew as the 3.07 gears, NV-4500 and the 33 inch tires, make for about 2000 RPM at 82 MPH in 5th.
The air bags at all four corners make it ride pretty nice for an old 1st gen, as well.
The 24v intercooler, 3200 spring and the pump tuned on the NON intercooled 12V, it is also pretty quick and fun to drive.
Makes for a great highway cruiser, and as the drive is 9 HRs or so, that might make the best sense.

The white crew really needs a reverse rotation steering box mod to happen before I do that trip again in it.
I replaced the steering box with a used spare stock box last month, but it is still going to need some more attention.
The 4.10s, 6 inch lift and the 37s are a little less long highway trip friendly.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:19 PM

I look forward to seeing it!
Old 05-17-2015, 06:11 AM

I look forward to seeing it!
Your goal of having your truck on the road by the show still the plan?
Old 05-17-2015, 10:21 AM

Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts
Replaced the front output transfer case seal. I dont know how long it will last, the seal is not nearly as strong as the oem one.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:07 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Replaced my turbo cool down timer as I had a spare one from the crew cab 1st gen I sold. Nice to have that 2,4,or 6 minute shut down feature. There used to be a guy about 11 years ago that made and sold these for $100 on DTR's store and a year after I bought them he sent a message to all that he would stop making/selling them. For those of you that are old timers to this site and may have bought these, did you run the green ground wire to the e brake to shut down the timer when the e brake was released or did you just ground it out elsewhere? I opened up the old timer- all radio shack parts
Old 05-17-2015, 09:17 PM

Your goal of having your truck on the road by the show still the plan?
More like the dream. Really doubt that it'll happen.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:02 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
More like the dream. Really doubt that it'll happen.
I have NEVER had any car project done by the estimated time. No matter how much time I give myself.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by mknittle
I have NEVER had any car project done by the estimated time. No matter how much time I give myself.
Pretty much. Every time I get ready to really tear into it another project takes precedence. I've been waiting on mower parts for 3 weeks. They finally showed up and I got my front yard mowed (slowwwly). Made 2 passes in the back and figured out that the mower wasn't up to cutting 2 feet of hay so I spent an hour hooking up the bush hog to the dozer. Spent another 2 hours bush hogging my back yard. In 2 weeks my cousin and I will be replacing the head on my Cherokee. Probably start working on the truck this winter
Old 05-21-2015, 08:25 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Pretty much. Every time I get ready to really tear into it another project takes precedence. I've been waiting on mower parts for 3 weeks. They finally showed up and I got my front yard mowed (slowwwly). Made 2 passes in the back and figured out that the mower wasn't up to cutting 2 feet of hay so I spent an hour hooking up the bush hog to the dozer. Spent another 2 hours bush hogging my back yard. In 2 weeks my cousin and I will be replacing the head on my Cherokee. Probably start working on the truck this winter
Sounds like fun
And don't say Cherokee. That is a nasty word at the moment. I am having a hell of a time getting my wife's to pass smog.
That is why My vehicles are pre1975 except the dodge.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?