1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 01:47 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Sway bar installed today.

Brackets hanging, but not installed, as I'm missing some hardware. Heading to the bolt shop tomorrow.

Driver side

sway bar

Pass side

sway bar bushing

never seez
Old 12-18-2022, 02:05 PM
KRB

Received 523 Likes on 363 Posts
You need a manicure dude.

Going to get it done before the big snow? The truck, not the manicure...
The following 2 users liked this post by KRB:
edwinsmith (12-18-2022), NJTman (12-18-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by KRB
You need a manicure dude.

Going to get it done before the big snow? The truck, not the manicure...
lol,

Yeah, broken nails. Bad man, I know.

Hopefully the bracket will be installed tomorrow afternoon. Just have to pick up some washers, as I already have all the 5/8" bolts and nuts in stock.

Should be finished tomorrow, and we'll see. We don't usually get big storms here, but since I'll only be doing my own driveway, I could always use my snow blower if necessary. I closed up the "snow plowing" side of the biz, as it's just too clostly.

Old 12-18-2022, 04:24 PM

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
lol,

Yeah, broken nails. Bad man, I know.

Hopefully the bracket will be installed tomorrow afternoon. Just have to pick up some washers, as I already have all the 5/8" bolts and nuts in stock.

Should be finished tomorrow, and we'll see. We don't usually get big storms here, but since I'll only be doing my own driveway, I could always use my snow blower if necessary. I closed up the "snow plowing" side of the biz, as it's just too clostly.
1st Gen owners nor lovers DON'T get manicures!
Old 12-18-2022, 04:38 PM

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Took it to town for earrands, fueled it up etc.!

like the title says, but also stopped by a buddies cabinet/carpentry shop to visit, and had some admirers want to take a look at what they said was "a beautiful truck"! Even a young gal at the fuel stop commented she loved my truck!

Also need to rant bout those FB pages and trying to sell my truck on there from a friend's referral reply. Guy wanted pics and info which i supplied then wanted video of it running. Said he didn't trust the mileage at the price I had listed. I replied I drive it weekly, to which he then replied how much cash in hand he would give today and haul it away. I let him know how much cash required to drive it away today! HA! Kick myself every time I reply to one of these empty rabbit holes!
Old 12-19-2022, 07:38 AM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Got the old '91.5 W350 fired up to plow the yard and driveway yesterday.
We got 14 inches of heavy snow on Friday into Sat. So by Sunday I was the only driveway on my road that had not been plowed yet.

The old beast started instantly, which was nice since it hasn't moved in three months. The old heavy dually sure does push the snow.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
nothingbutdarts (12-21-2022), thrashingcows (12-28-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Got the old '91.5 W350 fired up to plow the yard and driveway yesterday.
We got 14 inches of heavy snow on Friday into Sat. So by Sunday I was the only driveway on my road that had not been plowed yet.

The old beast started instantly, which was nice since it hasn't moved in three months. The old heavy dually sure does push the snow.
Snow !

Gotta love snow. None here yet, and since I gave up plowing snow, don't want none either. My own driveways are all I'll be doing, but with the warmish winters here, I'll be real good without.

Can't wait to see your place all covered in fluffy, muddy muck.

lol.

Dogs happy, I'll bet.

Old 12-20-2022, 01:37 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
The polar express arrived here last night in NEO. 34 degrees right now. Supposed to get down to -5 by Thursday with Snow! YIPEE!

Edwin
Old 12-22-2022, 01:28 PM

Today, I continued to install the plow truckside bracket. I had all the pieces except for the stiffener brackets (AKA Brace). When I bought the plow used, they weren't attached, nor with the truck.. Since the parts are near impossible to find, I figured I'm better off manufacturing them myself. I even added small trusses to keep the rigidity, so if I ever hit anything, the trucks frame will get wiped out, vs the plow bracket.

The plow spreader bar was attached too high in the past, and angled the plow blade downwards. It will be interesting seeing how the plow works now with the blade back to near perpendicular to the ground in front of me when I'm pushing.

Fun fun fun.

You can see how the plow is angled downwards, looking at the shoes and the a frame, and not parallel with the ground It's supposed to be at 9.5 to 10.5" from spreader bar center pivots to ground. it's around 13" there, back when this plow was installed some 10 years ago (2013). The new position will bring that down a bit, but not make it level. The only way to make it level is lower the springs in the truck, and I'm not doing that. I'll post photo when it's all mounted up.

Plow angled down

The following 3 users liked this post by NJTman:
edwinsmith (12-22-2022), oliver foster (12-23-2022), thrashingcows (12-27-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 04:36 AM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Your work looks good.
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 12:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
@NJTman looks like you do good work.
I also had to fabricate a mount to mount up my plow to the '93 W350. Three years now and everything is still holding up. 🤞

thrashingcows (12-27-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 82ndVet
@NJTman looks like you do good work.
I also had to fabricate a mount to mount up my plow to the '93 W350. Three years now and everything is still holding up. 🤞
Thanks Brother.

Love the ride. Love the shop behind it even more. I'm so JEALOUS !

I try to do "good work" no matter what that work is, whether it's fixing my own rides, fixing customer's homes, or fixing my wife dinner. It's all the same, IMO.

We're all here for the limited amount of time we're allotted. It's what you do as a human being, and how you can positively affect others that makes life worthwhile. When people lose that connection to the human element, that's when havoc and chaos occurs. Seems as though we're living in a time where that promotion of chaos is prolific, and all in the name of distraction for wrongful means.

I try every day to help other people. Take for example, this fella I call "Bucket guy". I stopped with my pooch at the local bagel shop, and this guy walking around the parking lot with an orange HD bucket asking for money for the bus. Since I have a strict rule of never opening my wallet to anyone who asks, I said no, and he continued onto others in the lot asking nearly anyone or everyone nearby for money. I called the local PD because he was obviously making people a bit nervous. Me? I wasn't nervous, as if you want to F with me, I'm not gonna let you leave without some major pain. I asked the dispatcher if they would send someone out to do a "wellness" check on BG, as he looked really distressed. People in distress can do stupid things, so they responded rather quickly. After about 2 minutes, the officer opened up the trunk, threw in BG's bucket, and after frisking the guy, BG jumped in the backseat of the cruiser. It appeared he was doing what I asked, which was to maybe "give the guy a ride", so he wouldn't have to stand out in the rain for the bus. I (hopefully) made a positive impact in his life, as I'm sure the people he was begging for money from would be appreciative right about now.

I met a fella back in 1987 who was in NYC who was approached by a homeless man, asking for a "few dollars". When he grabbed his wallet, being the nice guy he was, to throw him a few bucks, the homeless dude pulled out a butcher knife and nearly gutted the fella. Luckily, back then, police were on every corner, and they saved his life. For me, I vowed never to give anyone anything that asked. I'd rather help those who don't ask.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

T.

Bucket guy.

Cops checking on bucket guy
82ndVet (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 01:44 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Took my dodge to Maaco yesterday to get an estimate on whole truck paint. I had previously gone to a different one who quoted me $400 more than this one. So after the ice storm I'm setting up an appointment. Will be the factory 2 tone blue but instead of the unobtainable tape stripe seperating the colors on the upper color break I'm going with 1/4" red pinstripe. Even though my stock wheels have the full hubcaps my buddy thinks I should use the small hubcaps and paint the wheels red also.I don't know about that I'll think on it. I'm taking everything off except the windows.Done that a couple times already.I'm thinking about polishing all the side mouldings and like to know if anyone has done that and how does it hold up?
Old 12-23-2022, 09:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Thanks Brother.

Love the ride. Love the shop behind it even more. I'm so JEALOUS !

I try to do "good work" no matter what that work is, whether it's fixing my own rides, fixing customer's homes, or fixing my wife dinner. It's all the same, IMO.

We're all here for the limited amount of time we're allotted. It's what you do as a human being, and how you can positively affect others that makes life worthwhile. When people lose that connection to the human element, that's when havoc and chaos occurs. Seems as though we're living in a time where that promotion of chaos is prolific, and all in the name of distraction for wrongful means.

I try every day to help other people. Take for example, this fella I call "Bucket guy". I stopped with my pooch at the local bagel shop, and this guy walking around the parking lot with an orange HD bucket asking for money for the bus. Since I have a strict rule of never opening my wallet to anyone who asks, I said no, and he continued onto others in the lot asking nearly anyone or everyone nearby for money. I called the local PD because he was obviously making people a bit nervous. Me? I wasn't nervous, as if you want to F with me, I'm not gonna let you leave without some major pain. I asked the dispatcher if they would send someone out to do a "wellness" check on BG, as he looked really distressed. People in distress can do stupid things, so they responded rather quickly. After about 2 minutes, the officer opened up the trunk, threw in BG's bucket, and after frisking the guy, BG jumped in the backseat of the cruiser. It appeared he was doing what I asked, which was to maybe "give the guy a ride", so he wouldn't have to stand out in the rain for the bus. I (hopefully) made a positive impact in his life, as I'm sure the people he was begging for money from would be appreciative right about now.

I met a fella back in 1987 who was in NYC who was approached by a homeless man, asking for a "few dollars". When he grabbed his wallet, being the nice guy he was, to throw him a few bucks, the homeless dude pulled out a butcher knife and nearly gutted the fella. Luckily, back then, police were on every corner, and they saved his life. For me, I vowed never to give anyone anything that asked. I'd rather help those who don't ask.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

T.

Bucket guy.

Cops checking on bucket guy
Agreed 100%!
I believe we should always give it our best in everything we do so I commend you on that. Sounds like you did a good thing for "bucket guy" and all those involved. If every human took the same approach that you do, could you imagine what a wonderful world it would be? We wouldn't have all the peril if we all just showed more love and respect to each other.
Merry Christmas to you and yours @NJTman
Old 12-24-2022, 08:33 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Last night it was sleeting like a SOB so I went out to the shop to work on polishing some spare pieces of side moulding. Using my buffer wheel I got the piece looking pretty good. So am I polishing the anodizing or the aluminum? I want to polish all the trim but if it removes the anodizing I'll have to keep repolishing forever.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?