1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 07:03 PM

Received 78 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
How did the floor look after you got the carpet out?

So Taylorm2121, did you get dumped on? My cousin there in Greer said they had about 7" as of noon and it was drifting real bad. We only got about 2" here, bummer.
Yep, got about the same amount. I got the boys tucked away before it came in. Maybe you will get more the next time, you can have it all, I hate it!

Old 01-17-2022, 11:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Why only one brake caliper? Like brake pads/shoes always do them in pairs/sets....IMO.
The PS caliper had already been replaced by the PO not long before I bought it.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (01-20-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 02:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 82ndVet
Ripped the old nasty carpet out and put in a rubber floor mat today. No more wet carpet from the snow on my boots. Was worried about the fit but it fit well.
No snow here, but lots of water and sand and lava rock- where did you order the rubber from?
Old 01-18-2022, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by CruisingRam
No snow here, but lots of water and sand and lava rock- where did you order the rubber from?
I ordered it from Rock Auto ($130.00)
They also have carpet for those who want it.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:07 PM

I'm replacing all U-joints, front and rear pinion seals, and TC output shaft seal today.
I'm hoping after that I won't have any more leaks other then a small oil leak. I'll be replacing the timing cover gasket (which will hopefully fix the oil leak) and doing a KDP fix (if it doesn't already have it) later this week.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
I ordered it from Rock Auto ($130.00)
They also have carpet for those who want it.
I am assuming it's the vinyl, do you know what essex is? I dont' even know what that is LOL
Old 01-18-2022, 09:35 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
When I replaced my brake pads and rotors I made the mistake of NOT replacing the calipers. One side locked up and dragged until the rotor was burning. Replaced both calipers and no problem since. I'm still trying to get the back drums working right. What a pain! Why didn't carmakers go to all disk brakes sooner? Why have a silly mixed system of front disc and rear drums?
Old 01-19-2022, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by CruisingRam
I am assuming it's the vinyl, do you know what essex is? I dont' even know what that is LOL
Yes the vinyl.
The Essex is a premium carpet type
Old 01-19-2022, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
When I replaced my brake pads and rotors I made the mistake of NOT replacing the calipers. One side locked up and dragged until the rotor was burning. Replaced both calipers and no problem since. I'm still trying to get the back drums working right. What a pain! Why didn't carmakers go to all disk brakes sooner? Why have a silly mixed system of front disc and rear drums?
Luckily it didn't burn the truck down.
A friend of mine had that happen to his 3rd gen. Luckily he had a fire extinguisher on board and was able to minimize the damage.
The rear brakes are on my to do list.
The brakes seem to work fine for the time being.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:32 PM

Luckily it didn't burn the truck down.
A friend of mine had that happen to his 3rd gen. Luckily he had a fire extinguisher on board and was able to minimize the damage.
The rear brakes are on my to do list.
The brakes seem to work fine for the time being.
It wasn't burning that bad but could have. I knew immediately what it was so I drove to the parts store for calipers. The counter man had to shut the door because the stink was so bad.

My rears keep leaking fluid. I've replaced the wheel cylinders twice. I think next I'll bypass the RWAL dump valve and replace the MC and completely flush the system to gat all the water out. Never had enough time to do the job properly but lots of time to do it over.
thrashingcows (01-19-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 03:22 AM
KRB

Received 523 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
...Never had enough time to do the job properly but lots of time to do it over.
Dang, with that statement, and Oliver's "Finaphobia", youall have about summed me up...
Old 01-20-2022, 06:58 AM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Thanks for the good laugh there KRB.

I got the old plow truck out for the first real plow of the season. There must have been an almost 2 1/2 foot bank of snow left over from the plow trucks at the head of my driveway. The rest of the driveway had a foot of fresh heavy snow over the leftovers from several earlier storms. The old W350 pushed it outta the way like a champ.
It was a little grumpy starting up though, after a -20 degree night since the grid heaters are not wired up anymore.
thrashingcows (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Thanks for the good laugh there KRB.

I got the old plow truck out for the first real plow of the season. There must have been an almost 2 1/2 foot bank of snow left over from the plow trucks at the head of my driveway. The rest of the driveway had a foot of fresh heavy snow over the leftovers from several earlier storms. The old W350 pushed it outta the way like a champ.
It was a little grumpy starting up though, after a -20 degree night since the grid heaters are not wired up anymore.
It's 22 degrees and a sunny beautiful day here in NE Okiehoma. Seen a couple of squirrels out my front window looking for pecans. Oliver: Why are your grid heaters unhooked? I would think they would be essential up there in the frozen north. I need some for my toilet seat I think.

Edwin
nothingbutdarts (01-20-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 04:42 AM
KRB

Received 523 Likes on 363 Posts
I bout spit my coffee all over the screen over that one Edwin!
Old 01-22-2022, 08:46 AM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Edwin, I do not have the grid heater hooked up because...

My old plow truck is just a yard plow truck and it has to push snow and that is about it for important features it has.
The battery blew up in it a few years ago from a spark at the connection to the ground post. As in, the the top 1/3 of the battery was blown to bits that where as far as 25 FT away from the engine bay as the hood was open while I was trying to start it. I washed the whole engine bay down with Baking Soda to neutralize the battery acid quickly. This make some of the electrical connections and wires more questionable.

It also does not seem to charge well, so I just disconnected as many electrical draws as possible. The grid heaters and the aftermarket reverse spot lights where big draws. I just swap out the battery every few plow jobs with a spare on the charger in the shop. So after it starts the only electric draw I am using after that is a trickle for the defrost on the windshield. I don't turn the fan on any higher as the mouse turds start flying out the vents at you, if you turn it up. The plow is run off a hydraulic pump on the motor so it is not powered by the electrical system.

It is basically a tool for pushing snow at this point in its life. Heck the drivers door will not even stay latched and it has been that way for 3 winters now.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?