1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 10:25 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Can yo post some measurements for the location of the hole you cut. I may have to do the same to mine.

Thanks

Edwin
So it looks like 20 inches from the front of the bed and 26 inches from the side of the bed should have you centered on the opening for the tank. At least that what it was for my 1990.
The following users liked this post:
edwinsmith (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 11:59 AM
BHD

Received 418 Likes on 279 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordzilla
Such a tragedy...We'll mourn for you here beginning in summer which starts about the first of March......Ben

The struggle is real!

We usually have 10 months of winter and 2 months of getting ready for it.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by BHD
The struggle is real!

We usually have 10 months of winter and 2 months of getting ready for it.
In Phoenix, we only have 2 seasons, hot and not hot, 9 months of the latter and 3 months of the former. But, with the global weather change that isn't happening the former is getting longer and the latter is getting shorter.I dare you to make sense of this ...Mark
Old 01-23-2020, 08:24 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Well this evening I came home and because my driveway is to narrow I have to drive partway into the garage to be able to scoot over out of the way of my wife's SUV to get in. For some reason the door didn't go all the way up and I took off 2 of my clearance lights as I drove the truck in.

Oliver??? Do you have any?

Edwin
Old 01-23-2020, 08:34 PM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Well this evening I came home and because my driveway is to narrow I have to drive partway into the garage to be able to scoot over out of the way of my wife's SUV to get in. For some reason the door didn't go all the way up and I took off 2 of my clearance lights as I drove the truck in.

Oliver??? Do you have any?

Edwin

Sending you a PM on Cab lights there Edwin.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:16 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Well that sucks, but thank you for mentioning it since once the shop is finally done I will be parking Patches inside as well and I know it's close on the cab lights....something I will make sure to watch for.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:42 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Well, I was able to JB-Weld the pieces of my two damaged lights back together. Luckily the lenses weren't broken as well. They are now back on the truck and all is well except for a bit of paint off the lights.

A related tragedy, I needed to clean up the plastic dust I filed off the lights so I got the wife's little rechargeable vacuum cleaner and cleaned the floor. Unfortunately I got some on my chair in the office so I went to vacuum it off as well. The back of the chair swung around and knocked over my coffee onto the keyboard and mouse. Keyboard is OK but the mouse is toast. SO the wife and I jumped in the truck and went off to the computer store for a replacement. Then we went out for dinner and it felt so good to open the truck up on the freeway so it wasn't a total loss.

So I'm down a couple of light repairs and a dead mouse. What else is new? At least my heart is doing well.

Edwin
The following 2 users liked this post by edwinsmith:
NJTman (02-09-2020), thrashingcows (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 07:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Got the gauges in, not sure what happened on centering them but they will get the job done. Still got a tach to install as well. Also changed over to led turn/brake/gauges lights with led flashers and it works so much better now.

Got some gauges.

​​
edwinsmith (01-28-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 09:40 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Another unseasonably warm day today of about 4*C...should be daytime highs of about -5*C. Nothing really 1st Gen related other then I got woke up early because the drywall delivery truck got stuck on my driveway and I had to go out and free him up with my old 1845C Case skid steer (which IS powered by a 4BT), so had to walk past the truck on the way.

Once I got him free from the snow bank on the side of the driveway I then had to tow him back down towards the house, then I had to tow his 10ton flat deck up the driveway to the road. Thank goodness I cut down and modified old commercial truck chains for my Case or else I would never have got him free.
The following 3 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
edwinsmith (01-28-2020), NJTman (02-09-2020), nonrev (01-28-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 09:01 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Washing center took a crap yesterday. Faceboob marketplace was a great source for a new unit. HD wanted $1200 for a new unit (discounted sale from $1699), and the marketplace found me a brand new, unused unit for $700. Drove the brick an hour or so north, and brought home the new center with little effort.

For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure (joke) of buying a new washing machine or dryer in the last few years, the federal screw it up gubberment made things worse than necessary through overregulating these machines, as,you will eventually find out if you buy a new unit..

Energy efficiency has overwhelmed sensibility. Google appliance efficiency problems, and it won't take you long.

Put it in the truck and got it home safely . I do not feel confident that this new, over complicated, computerized junk box will last the 7 years the old one did, or the 25 years the one before that lasted (all mechanical), so we shall see. These old units are good for scrap, I guess. As manufacturers have discontinued too many parts for them to be repaired any longer, and the parts that are available are made from inferior materials from China.

Roll the dice...

Viee from Driscoll Bridge going over the Raritan River at sunset. Dodge having fun
nonrev (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 08:26 AM

Nice picture crossing the bridge there T-man.

I used the old W-350 to plow the nearly 20 inch of snow we got on Thursday and Fri. The 20 year old rear tire that I swapped out last year with a 19 year old replacement, started to leak out its dry cracking sidewall. Looks like I need to dig up another okay tire on a coined dually rim so I am ready for the next storm, which looks like today and tomorrow.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:50 AM
m37

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't you think your rushing into things swapping out that tire? Just put some fix a flat in and get 5 more years out of it
The following 3 users liked this post by m37:
edwinsmith (02-10-2020), Jaybug (02-12-2020), NJTman (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 09:00 AM

I put air into and I could feel it blasting out the deep crack in the sidewall.
I have only had luck with fix a flat on small holes in the tread area.

The truck is only a yard plow and never gets out of 2nd gear in 4 L, so an old tire with decent tread is all I need. The old tires just don't seem to like the extra stress of having a chain on them.
I have plenty of other 1st gen dually rims with okay rubbers to use, they are just all buried in several feet of snow and frozen to the ground.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:10 AM

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Washing center took a crap yesterday. Faceboob marketplace was a great source for a new unit. HD wanted $1200 for a new unit (discounted sale from $1699), and the marketplace found me a brand new, unused unit for $700. Drove the brick an hour or so north, and brought home the new center with little effort.

For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure (joke) of buying a new washing machine or dryer in the last few years, the federal screw it up gubberment made things worse than necessary through overregulating these machines, as,you will eventually find out if you buy a new unit..

Energy efficiency has overwhelmed sensibility. Google appliance efficiency problems, and it won't take you long.

Put it in the truck and got it home safely . I do not feel confident that this new, over complicated, computerized junk box will last the 7 years the old one did, or the 25 years the one before that lasted (all mechanical), so we shall see. These old units are good for scrap, I guess. As manufacturers have discontinued too many parts for them to be repaired any longer, and the parts that are available are made from inferior materials from China.

Roll the dice...
Just had to repair my old dryer. Quit blowing hot air to actually dry the clothes, picked up a heating element. While I was there the sales guy told me to check the wires as they sometimes come loose and burn off. Sure enough the one spade terminal was toast, so a new spade terminal at 0.005 cents later and it works great again. Love how old and simple is a pretty good rule when it comes to machinery, even appliances.

As to the truck I made my first step towards doing the KDP, I unscrewed the headlight bezels in anticipation of removing the grill and rad to gain easy access to the timing case. At this rate she will be ready to go in 3 years.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:51 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by Shelby/Dakota
Just had to repair my old dryer. Quit blowing hot air to actually dry the clothes, picked up a heating element. While I was there the sales guy told me to check the wires as they sometimes come loose and burn off. Sure enough the one spade terminal was toast, so a new spade terminal at 0.005 cents later and it works great again. Love how old and simple is a pretty good rule when it comes to machinery, even appliances.

As to the truck I made my first step towards doing the KDP, I unscrewed the headlight bezels in anticipation of removing the grill and rad to gain easy access to the timing case. At this rate she will be ready to go in 3 years.
I agree completely. The old units are fixable and mechanical just like our trucks. I actually have 3 of these here at my house. The one I have for 25 plus years, and the one that died on Saturday morning. Both mechanical, but different manufacturers and models. Now we have the new one, and so far it works.
both older units need transmissions either replaced or rebuilt. They're over $500 each and that's not including labor

Most of the older units parts are discontinued. Would have to rebuild or make from scratch. Not financially viable. I wish i could repair the old unit, as mechanical switches, timers etc just last forever.

I have a feeling the new one won't last more than 5 years. We'll see.

Btw, never pulled my grille, as I have a/c, and the condenser would be in the way. Didn't affect the kdp process, as once the radiator was out, it was pretty clear in there.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?