1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Forgot to post this up....been a crazy busy few days off. Finished my last day of my night shift 4 days ago and was coming home around 4am....vehicle was following me fairly close and I had a weird vibe and thought it might be the police....well I was right as I came into town he flipped on his lights, so I pulled over. Cop walks up and says "Hey Brian how you doing!" Thought that was weird that he used my name like that, then he proceeds to let me know my insurance had expired 2 days ago....DOOOHHH!!! He was nice enough not to give me the $600 fine that this would have warranted, but would not let me drive it any further and I had to park it at the gas station I was right beside.

So after calling and waking up the wife we decided I would just sleep in the truck for 3-4 hours until she could swing by and get me on her way to work. When I woke up there was a cop sitting in the lot near me...my guess is they had been checking on me from time to time to make sure I was not some low life P.O.S and drive home anyway after the cops had left. Anyway wife drove me to get the insurance and all was well again.

Yesterday I got insurance for my trailer since my order of siding and supplies for the shop was supposed to be ready today. Hooked up the trailer last night to get ready for today and no and behold I had lights. Had brake and turn signals, but no running lights. Pulled it into the shop and climbed under neath and found that the main power for the trailer lights had corroded to blue goo in the connector under Ol' Patches. Found another connector in my spare parts and spliced that in and got everything working properly. Dragged the trailer around today but my order did not show up on the freight truck....so next week I guess.
I just have one thing to say: Canadian cops are MUCH nicer than US cops (in general) . In AZ your vehicle tags are automatically cancelled the minute that your insurance lapses and,being that all of the cops here have license plate readers in their cars, it doesn't take long to get caught. And yes, I know that was more than one thing ...Mark.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (05-10-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 02:20 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I think the movement is really a moot point since the springs are pretty stiff so there really is not a lot of movement period. I would say using rubber bushings to mitigate vibrations through the frame.
Ok fair enough, rubber it is.

I am needing someone to spell this out for me as I can't seem to get it straight in my head. I removed the bushings from the spring eyes and the shackle thinking I was just going to push new ones in. I bought six Moog 1.25"/.625 OD/ID bushings because I checked all three bolts and they are .625" threads. When I tried to install the bushings, they don't fit the shackle because it measures 1.125". They don't fit the spring because the spring eye measures 1.5". I went back and rechecked the specs on the board and all the websites offering parts and no one offers a bushings that fit the measurements I am getting. Now, I can get new shackles with pre-installed bushings from ATS, so that is one down, but they come with either .75 or .625 bolts and the spring eye bushings are listed as EITHER 1.5"/.75" OD/ID OR 1.25"/.625 OD/ID. No where am I finding 1.5/.625 like what seems to have come out of my truck. I have double and triple checked, the spring eyes are 1.5 and the bolts and holes in my truck are .625 which just doesn't jive with what seems to be the standard parts available. What am I missing here?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:59 AM

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
got my shocks the other day. Hoping to find a couple hours to get them installed along with the missing leaf nut.
Stupid question on the shocks do I mount them with the rod attached to the frame and the cylinder attached to the axle or does it not matter? Procomp E3000 series shocks
Old 05-14-2019, 02:47 PM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Shelby/Dakota
got my shocks the other day. Hoping to find a couple hours to get them installed along with the missing leaf nut.
Stupid question on the shocks do I mount them with the rod attached to the frame and the cylinder attached to the axle or does it not matter? Procomp E3000 series shocks
I install the just as you described. I have those Pro Comp 3000 on a few of my 1st gens and like them.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:57 AM

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts
Door glass

Got my pass door glass ,weather stripping,power locks and window in last nite .Managed to scratch my new paint in the process.Will not do drivers side without help next time
thrashingcows (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 08:00 AM

Received 366 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunch
Managed to scratch my new paint in the process.
Ouch!...And good looking paint it is......Ben
Old 05-15-2019, 11:06 AM

Started installing my new shocks last night . Got the one rear one on no problem, went to drive the upper retaining bolt out of the opposite rear shock and it is stuck to the steel insert for the shock bushing. Doused it with Blaster, hoping that works its way in and loosens it up so I can finish this project.

That sucks about the paint Gunch, truck looks like it is coming along nice overall.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:00 PM

Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunch
Got my pass door glass ,weather stripping,power locks and window in last nite .Managed to scratch my new paint in the process.Will not do drivers side without help next time
Its good the get the first scratch out of the way. If there are no scratches it will end up in an accident by Murphy's law.

Since I bought my house in Jan, I noticed a really nice 92 or 93 driving by my house every day. Didn't realized until the other day when I was cleaning up brush in the pasture that it is my neighbor's lol.
thrashingcows (05-16-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 04:39 PM

Got my rear shocks taken care of. Ended up cutting the frozen up factory hardware and replacedit with grade 8 bolts.

Then tore into the rear brakes to investigate the puddle under the drum. I found a messolution the axle seal I installed 1.5 years ago was disintegrated and axle fluid all over the place. Plus I have water intrusion somewhere in the axle housing. My shafthad droplets the whole length of it and pretty severe surface rust about 3/4 the way into the tube.

Going to just replace the wheel cylinders since I'm in there, should I do the shoes as well since they were contaminated with gear oil?
Old 05-18-2019, 05:14 PM

Received 366 Likes on 272 Posts
should I do the shoes as well since they were contaminated with gear oil?
Yes! By all means.......Ben
Old 05-18-2019, 08:26 PM

Finally got around to repalcing my shift shaft seals on my transfer case. Happy I was able to do it with out dropping the case.
thrashingcows (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 09:41 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Got my rear shocks taken care of. Ended up cutting the frozen up factory hardware and replacedit with grade 8 bolts.

Then tore into the rear brakes to investigate the puddle under the drum. I found a messolution the axle seal I installed 1.5 years ago was disintegrated and axle fluid all over the place. Plus I have water intrusion somewhere in the axle housing. My shafthad droplets the whole length of it and pretty severe surface rust about 3/4 the way into the tube.

Going to just replace the wheel cylinders since I'm in there, should I do the shoes as well since they were contaminated with gear oil?
Seems the replacement seals only last 1-3 years if your lucky now days....at least that what I seem to be getting out of the ones I'm using on my truck.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:18 PM

Seems the replacement seals only last 1-3 years if your lucky now days....at least that what I seem to be getting out of the ones I'm using on my truck.
Well at least now the rear brakes aren't near as intimidating as when I first did the job. Aldo having a 2 9/16 socket helps a ton.
thrashingcows (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 06:29 AM

Well at least now the rear brakes aren't near as intimidating as when I first did the job. Aldo having a 2 9/16 socket helps a ton.
They are only around $20 at napa
Old 05-19-2019, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by peckens
They are only around $20 at napa
Yeah I grabbed one after my first experience in there.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?