1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 09:55 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Originally Posted by N. Besonderes
As long as you live where the corn don't grow, you can get by without a starter.
Where I grew up in SE Kansas we grew corn, wheat, soybeans, cows and oil wells. Not to mention the occasional tornado.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:14 AM
KRB

Received 523 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by J33p
Having a wishy washy decision moment here. My D70 is an open diff and as far as I know, nothing wrong with it other than needing a break job. I have a line on a '93 D70 with a PowerLok in it, but the axle is pretty worn out over all and would need to be completely rebuilt before swapping it in. Disassembly is easy, I can pull parts and even rebuild the PL ($80 for rebuild kit) Putting it back together properly is better left to those with more skill than I. I live in N Idaho / E Wash area so snowy winters are pretty common. This is a daily driver / tow my jeep, haul a camper kind of truck, so

A: Not including the $200 to buy the axle what is it going to cost me to either rebuild the whole axle or swap the PL to mine?
B: Is it even worth going to the time, effort and money to do this?

Thanks in advance
You didn't say if you were two wheel or 4X4 but either way if you ever intend to drive on anything other than pavement my vote is NO open diff.
My dad's truck is identical to mine except the year, color and transmission but he has an open differential and sometimes has to shift to 4x4 just to drive through the yard...

Too much weight over that front axle with an empty bed.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:29 PM

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Especially manual transmission equipped 1st gen's....no starter required to get it going, just have to plan where you shut it off...IE: Hill.
I like mine cause it don't care if you have your seat belt on or off!
Old 04-29-2019, 04:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Berta
I am not a big fan of the flatbeds I have seen on the SRWs but I am liking that one! Do the sides fold down? Did you make it, and where can I find one?
Old 04-29-2019, 04:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
You didn't say if you were two wheel or 4X4 but either way if you ever intend to drive on anything other than pavement my vote is NO open diff.
My dad's truck is identical to mine except the year, color and transmission but he has an open differential and sometimes has to shift to 4x4 just to drive through the yard...

Too much weight over that front axle with an empty bed.
Sorry yeah W250. I did ok this last winter, but I come from the Jeep world where not having traction devices in the diff is almost a sin ;-) I did have a few times this winter where I had to lock in the front to get out of the neighborhood or on the driveway for that matter.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:55 PM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Received a new set of springs from Custom Suspension for my 92 W250 restoration project.

Last edited by Diesel_Dawg; 04-30-2019 at 05:57 PM. Reason: typo
The following 2 users liked this post by Diesel_Dawg:
NJTman (04-30-2019), thrashingcows (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 07:27 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Drove it up to Colton to pick up some merch to try and resale. Noticed the wiper motor is struggling and doesn't want to return to park when the unit is turned off. The intermittent part is flaky also. So I guess I need to make some time to look into it. I also need to look into the defroster doors not working to direct warm air to the windshield. I think the defroster door is a vacuum problem.

Was almost home and some idiot almost rear-ended me getting off the freeway. Glad I have full coverage.

Edwin
Old 04-30-2019, 07:39 PM

Received 366 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Glad I have full coverage.

Edwin
As I found out the hard way last year, full coverage extends only as far as the market value of our trucks with consideration taken for mileage...And if you think you have coverage for your additional custom equipment, even if you've been paying extra for it, think again...Mine was all devalued for depreciation to the point where I got nothing...I'll never waste another nickel on equipment insurance......Ben
Old 04-30-2019, 11:55 PM

Received 47 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by J33p
I am not a big fan of the flatbeds I have seen on the SRWs but I am liking that one! Do the sides fold down? Did you make it, and where can I find one?
Yes the sides fold down and are removable, I did not build the deck it was on the truck when I purchased it. The deck looks to be home built, I could possibly get some measurements closer to the weekend. I do like it but being aluminum it doesn't weigh enough to give the rear springs enough preload and makes for a rough ride unless I'm packing fuel or have something heavy on the deck.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:00 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordzilla
As I found out the hard way last year, full coverage extends only as far as the market value of our trucks with consideration taken for mileage...And if you think you have coverage for your additional custom equipment, even if you've been paying extra for it, think again...Mine was all devalued for depreciation to the point where I got nothing...I'll never waste another nickel on equipment insurance......Ben
Same goes for "trip/vacation insurance" When my father was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer in April 2014 , and we had booked a trip a few months earlier back in Nov 2013 and we were slated to leave on the trip beginning of May 2014 we obviously had to canceled the trip but since we had paid for the insurance we figured all would be taken care of. Well they denied our claim because they said his condition was "existing" even though we did not know about it when booking the holiday. We fought them for 3 years and took them to court but only got a pitty judgment in our favor of 50% of the value of the holiday. My wife is a paralegal and after she read the fine print on the insurance policy it basically claims they can deny your claim for ANY reason...legitimate of not...so don't waste your money on trip insurance you are only padding those greedy b@st@rds pockets.

Rant over....
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
I have full replacement value insurance. My agent says that I get to find my replacement and they buy it for me...Mark
The following 3 users liked this post by maybe368:
BHD (05-01-2019), NJTman (05-02-2019), thrashingcows (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 04:48 PM
BHD

Received 418 Likes on 279 Posts
I have my 90 W250 insured for over 15k. It qualified because of the year, condition, garaged, and low annual miles. Antique/classic insurance with a $250 deductible, annual rate is low too. You guys that don't put a lot of miles on a nice 1st gen that is close to original should look into it.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:46 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
I used to have Hagerty for our old cars. They covered road service on every vehicle we owned, new or old. Told them from the get go, that we use the old cars in the summer for more than parades. I was working 21 turn at the time, so with one weekend a month off, that left very few car shows. I drive my road runner to work in nice weather a few times a week (when I was working). They said no problem. The wife was picking our youngest up from school one day when some guy tried to drive over top off her Karmann Ghia because he decided to make a right turn from the wrong lane. Hagerty covered the repair, but then dropped us for unauthorized use.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:32 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Yeah the agent can say what ever they want to get you to buy a policy, but the devil is in the details of the legal document that is your insurance policy. We will not buy any insurance policy now unless we read and understand the policy before hand.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Yeah the agent can say what ever they want to get you to buy a policy, but the devil is in the details of the legal document that is your insurance policy. We will not buy any insurance policy now unless we read and understand the policy before hand.
I am one of those rare people that actually reads these things, kind of sad really. The policy actually reads that the insurance company has the right to find the "comparable" vehicle, but that , in practice, it is usually their practice to allow the owner to present vehicles for consideration. It is insurance that I have had for years and they do all my coverage, kind of a balloon type thing. They have always been straight with me through the years. It is also not discount insurance, to be sure, but I like the experience that I have had with them...Mark
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (05-02-2019)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?