1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heat wrapped the down pipe.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Today I changed the oil and filter. 3 gallons of Premium Blue 15-40w and Fleetguard 3349 filter. I also changed the fuel filter, eliminated the fuel pre-heater and WIF sensor. I put a Baldwin BF9893 on it. I also built a battery hold down bracket for it. The factory one rotted off and the parts store brackets were cheap chintzy plastic things.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Rotated and Siped my tires today.

Don't understand siping a tire, than look at this.....

We'll see how it all works when the weather turns to crap...

Name:  Sniping1_zps42325dc4.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  188.5 KB

Name:  Sniping2_zps0151bc59.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  89.1 KB

This is the tool to do the siping..

Name:  1224141625_zps51e9ca06.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  180.7 KB
Old 12-27-2014, 07:05 PM

Siping is not needed if you buy the best tire in good better best scale.

that film you see is about as phony as you can get. both those slabs of rubber are made of 2 complete different compounds hard vs soft. Hard tires will slide easy. soft tire dont slide as easy. Les Schawb I wouldnt let them clowns fix the tire on my lawn mover.

I only buy the best tire never better or good. never has the tire peddler told or offered to sip my tires. while the guy in front of me he sold him on siping.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:46 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by bobva

that film you see is about as phony as you can get. both those slabs of rubber are made of 2 complete different compounds hard vs soft. Hard tires will slide easy. soft tire dont slide as easy.
Have you seen one of those displays and picked up the rubber and felt it? I have and the ones I have seen have been the same rubber.

You are correct about buying the best tire, if that "good, better, or best" tire has a lot of molded in siping, you would be wasting your money to have them siped. For instance if you had a good "snow" tire you would be wasting your money on siping. But on a mud grip with solid tread blocks it will help.

With that said, siping is most beneficial on ice and wet roads. (Just like a "good" snow tire) Won't help much on dry pavement. The downfall to siping is if you frequently travel a lot of gravel or rocky terrain you will chunk out your tread.

I do not have any affiliation with Les Schwab or any other tire shop that sipes tires. I have in the past ran a set of Toyo MT's that were siped and after I had worn them out put another set on that were not, and my opinions are based on my experience running the same tires in the same terrain one set siped and one set not.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts

that film you see is about as phony as you can get. both those slabs of rubber are made of 2 complete different compounds hard vs soft. Hard tires will slide easy. soft tire dont slide as easy. Les Schawb I wouldnt let them clowns fix the tire on my lawn mover.

I only buy the best tire never better or good. never has the tire peddler told or offered to sip my tires. while the guy in front of me he sold him on siping.
Thanks Bob
4 year old. Mudders (winter use only ) and i wanted to see if the siping works or not. Dont have the $ for new tires and this is my way of seeing if the process really works or not. Dont have any les schwab around here, and i could care less bout the video except that it explains the siping theory. Never heard of siping before i read about it a few weeks back.

Either it will work or not. A good learning experience either way
Old 12-27-2014, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Les Schawb I wouldnt let them clowns fix the tire on my lawn mover.
About 10 years ago I bought a used truck with fairly recently installed by Schwab their top of the line house brand (Multi Mile) Wild Country XTX that were also siped by Schwab when new. They had about 5k miles on them and chunks of tread were coming off. I took it into Schwab and they said tread chunking had nothing to do with siping and the chunking was due to driver abuse and poor maintenance. I bought the truck from a grandpa type. Schwab offered no warranty. The fractures in the rubber were right along the sipe cuts. I called Multi Mile and they said all warranty is managed by Schwab and they would not normally warranty tires that were siped. I tried to contact Schwab HQ in Oregon but it's easier getting Obama on the phone. I drove the tires for another year and watched chunks of tread regularly come off. Later Spent $1100 putting proper tires on the Mopar.

The only tires I'd sipe would be take-off desert military tires (Michelin Xls come to mind) and would not be on a car seeing regular street duty. To each his own.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:05 PM

Today (in the wee hours of the morning) I pulled the cover off my Dana 70 and drained the chocolate milk colored "gear oil". I wanted to see what gear ratio it was and check the general condition of the diff. 3.54's lots sludge on the magnet. I pulled the vent and drilled the crud out of it. Put it all back together and drove it up and down the road at 0330hrs. Yay.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by MrFusion
Today (in the wee hours of the morning) I pulled the cover off my Dana 70 and drained the chocolate milk colored "gear oil". I wanted to see what gear ratio it was and check the general condition of the diff. 3.54's lots sludge on the magnet. I pulled the vent and drilled the crud out of it. Put it all back together and drove it up and down the road at 0330hrs. Yay.

How did the gears look? I changed my oil a couple weeks ago and the old oil was really broken down. The fresh lub quieted it down. Still got a bit of a rhythmic rumble at times but isn't leaking so I'll wait on changing bearings. I also have rust on the ring gear.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:58 PM

Check out my build thread for complete details. 1992 W250 Resurrection/modding.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Thanks Bob
4 year old. Mudders (winter use only ) and i wanted to see if the siping works or not. Dont have the $ for new tires and this is my way of seeing if the process really works or not. Dont have any les schwab around here, and i could care less bout the video except that it explains the siping theory. Never heard of siping before i read about it a few weeks back.

Either it will work or not. A good learning experience either way
I had a set of Mud Kings on my old Ford truck and they were pretty worthless in the snow. Siping would have been a good option but I ran chains instead. I bought them cheap froma local trucking company after they were taken out of service on their rigs. They were fine for my purposes.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA
Heat wrapped the down pipe.

nice work, that looks good.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:33 PM

Installed 255/85r16 Maxxis. Handles a whole lot better than the 285 BFG that were on it.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-image.jpg  
Old 12-29-2014, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by SeaW250
Installed 255/85r16 Maxxis. Handles a whole lot better than the 285 BFG that were on it.
Looks like your at the armeni ramp
Old 12-29-2014, 07:05 PM

Found a Cummins service center that had manifold and turbo fasteners. So this gives me the whole kit. I'll be drilling the manifold for a pyro sensor install while it is off. Got a small exhaust leak on number 1 which I didn't notice until recently. Dodge dealer wanted $120 for 12 manifold bolts and I got the same bolts from Cummins for $38 including the four turbo studs. Sweet....

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?