1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Lots of degreasing

After UPS lost my 29 spline transfer case I decided that since I had some more down time unfortunately I had time to improve the truck a little. So I was underneath it brainstorming what I needed to do to finish up the whole project of the transmission swap and started looking at my frame that was covered in grime. I decided that I would decrease the frame and repaint as much of it as I could get to without tearing the truck down to bare frame. It is only really greasy around where the transmission was from the seals going bad before I had it re-sealed. That means it was all ATF and dirt. So I started pressure washing it and that stuff is really hard to get off! So I bought a couple cans of GUNK foaming engine degreaser and quickly ran out. So I went to the store yesterday and will hopefully get it clean today and then get the frame painted at least where the transmission and exhaust will be in the way. I’ll work on the rest of it after I get the truck operational again. I will be painting it with Chassis Saver Satin Black paint. I didn’t want the gloss black, so I got the satin.

After he frame is painted I’m going to measure for the new hole for the shifter and then put the clutch in and then it will go from there. I won’t be able to get it done this weekend as I have to take the old transfer case to a shop Monday to have t rebuilt and converted to a 29 spline. I’d do it myself, but I want to get this done. I’ve been without my truck since May 25th
Old 08-18-2018, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Why can't UPS find it? Are they making excuses? It seems to me, that if they lost a 150 pound T-case, it went out the back door and that would be on them. Are they going to compensate you for it?...Mark
Old 08-18-2018, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by maybe368
Why can't UPS find it? Are they making excuses? It seems to me, that if they lost a 150 pound T-case, it went out the back door and that would be on them. Are they going to compensate you for it?...Mark
I’m not sure how they lost it or why they can’t find it, but my best guess is the same as yours. Somebody must have stolen it. I got the claim form and sent it to the company I bought it from as they had information I didn’t have that was needed to submit the claim. They are going to deal with the claim and refund me my money.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
used to be they had to get a signature, or they wouldn't leave the box, which meant the driver would have to come back. I delivered heavy duty truck parts for several years, and that could be a PIA. Now they practically toss the deliveries out of the truck when they drive by. We specify wehn we can to leave stuff at our back door....out of site of the road, and out of the weather.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Goose
used to be they had to get a signature, or they wouldn't leave the box, which meant the driver would have to come back. I delivered heavy duty truck parts for several years, and that could be a PIA. Now they practically toss the deliveries out of the truck when they drive by. We specify wehn we can to leave stuff at our back door....out of site of the road, and out of the weather.
It was never going to be delivered to my house. I had it so it would ship to the nearest freight facility to my house and then I would go pick it up. It was lost at the Kansas City, Kansas UPS Freight facility supposedly.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93

It was never going to be delivered to my house. I had it so it would ship to the nearest freight facility to my house and then I would go pick it up. It was lost at the Kansas City, Kansas UPS Freight facility supposedly.
Ahhhhh!, that explains a lot. There are thousands of people in Kansas that would know exactly what it is and how rare they are. I suspect that if it were in New Jersey or Rhode Island, it would have been much safer, unless NJTman worked for UPS, then not so much. Here I would have put a laugh imogee, but I don't have them in multiple browsers...Mark
Old 08-18-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Dang!! 1st Gen ,, that sucks !!!! Sooo,, on to plan " B ". I had to go to town to grab a biscuit ( breakfast ) come'n back my tk. ( 91.5 D250 ) just up & died lost all power ,,(makes it hard to dodge traffic & stop ) ,got under the hood ,, did the wiggle wires thing ,, started right up ,, got home started analyzing ( twisting & bending wires ) till I found the problem ( loose twisted together wire ) twisted it back together retaped it ,, redid the wiggle & twist again ,, so far ,, I couldn't get it to die .
I looked at the wire'n of my 90 D350 to compare ,, ?? there is 1 more fuse link wire on my 91.5 than my 90 ,,yup i'v got wire diag's. of both trucks ,, still confused ??? but at least it's go'n ,, Again . Now I got to do some research and find where that extra fuse link wire goes . But my problem seems small compared to 1st Gen's." Best to y'a ".

coffee's ready ,, whosdunit .
Old 08-18-2018, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Well I got my imojis back.I had to reset chrome settings...Mark
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by whosdunit
Dang!! 1st Gen ,, that sucks !!!! Sooo,, on to plan " B ". I had to go to town to grab a biscuit ( breakfast ) come'n back my tk. ( 91.5 D250 ) just up & died lost all power ,,(makes it hard to dodge traffic & stop ) ,got under the hood ,, did the wiggle wires thing ,, started right up ,, got home started analyzing ( twisting & bending wires ) till I found the problem ( loose twisted together wire ) twisted it back together retaped it ,, redid the wiggle & twist again ,, so far ,, I couldn't get it to die .
I looked at the wire'n of my 90 D350 to compare ,, ?? there is 1 more fuse link wire on my 91.5 than my 90 ,,yup i'v got wire diag's. of both trucks ,, still confused ??? but at least it's go'n ,, Again . Now I got to do some research and find where that extra fuse link wire goes . But my problem seems small compared to 1st Gen's." Best to y'a ".

coffee's ready ,, whosdunit .
Thanks. Mine will be back together soon hopefully. Just have to take the transfer case to be rebuilt and converted to a 29 spline input. More money
Old 08-18-2018, 08:23 PM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingbutdarts
The hydroboost seems to be working OK, the pedal is real hard when the engine is not running and gets much easier when running. I do not hear any vacuum leaks and you can hear the sound of the vacuum working when you push the pedal.
Not hydro vac but hydroboost It is a hydraulic booster that puts out twice the line pressure. do a search there are several of us that have done the swap.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by 73CrewCab

I’m happy to report that I’m in Mountain Home. Hopefully I’ll be here all the way through retirement. I just closed escrow on my old house and I have a job interview today. Time to get to work, buy a home and lay down some roots!
Sure beats Kalifornia dosen't it? Best of luck on the job!
Old 08-18-2018, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by KRB
Sounds like you have no regrets! Don't miss the west coast at all huh?
I know I don't Well maybe the way it was 40 years ago.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:46 AM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
Sure beats Kalifornia dosen't it? Best of luck on the job!
Thanks! I definitely don’t want to go back to the Left Coast. Unfortunately, my wife’s Ford is still at the dealer out there, and she took her brothers truck to get here with the kids.... Sooooooo, I get to drive a 3rd Gen with an empty 26 footer back to Kommiefornia, switch vehicles and drive the fireball 2014 Ford Escape back to Arkansas with a “new” (LKQ takeout) engine. They’ve been saying the car would be done THIS WEEK, for almost 10 weeks now. So far, it’s been a corroded fuel line, bad turbo, bad exhaust manifold, cracked head, leaking high pressure fuel pump, thermostat, small coolant line, engine wiring harness and now supposedly it’s one or two of the coolant bypass solenoids... At this point, they’re just throwing parts at her car. If she would have bought a Dodge, none of this would have happened... Kinda funny, the 2014 burns up and the 1973 starts every day
The following 3 users liked this post by 73CrewCab:
Blue Goose (08-20-2018), oliver foster (08-19-2018), thrashingcows (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 04:07 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Got back yesterday evening from a 9 day trip, 2600 km's (1615miles) with my teenage daughters. Traveled to the coast so they could go see some international Youtubers they enjoy watching. I hooked up to my trailer and brought my 2 quads down with me for the second leg of our trip. While I was down I caught up with a bunch of friends and family and helped a good friend move his 63 Impala to a paint shop (since I had my trailer), helped him with masking it then move it back to his place after it got painted. Then after all that I then drove up into the boonies to spend a few days at my brothers place and do a day or two of quading, Jeeping and exploring with the daughters. Was a good time other then my old Blackberry dying the day we got down and had to buy a new iPhone, but lost all my pics, vids and contacts.

Patches ran great the whole way but think I need to replace the 25 year old radiator, it would heat up quickly on any sort of grade but my clutch fan would lock up and cool things down...but we did have some crazy hot weather....43*C (110*F) and the AC barely works in the truck so it was a miserable few hours driving in that heat. The day we were leaving my brothers place fired patches up and ran really rough and pushing lots of white smoke....darn air leaking into the fuel system. Today was the same so will have to do some hunting for the leak(s).
The following 3 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
NJTman (08-19-2018), nonrev (08-19-2018), oliver foster (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 06:10 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
No way to have a tech guru tap the phone for your data and photos? Maybe Hillary knows someone . ill give her, or Bill a call and ask for y'all

Lol

My silly Android has the ability to designate,where you want photos and stuff located. Always earmark the memory card, so that it instantly goes into a new phone, or I can stick in the computer if necessary

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?