1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
I Don’t understand spending $$$$ on a mansion, and half a$$’n the install of a roof due to lack of knowledge and experience. A tool shed done on YouTube is not like what he is attempting to do; his house is more like doing a commercial building.
What gets me is, he just sold an airplane for $300K, so the roof budget can be pulled out of that, be professionally done, and be warranted for life should something fail.

None of my business, I know.....
This has always been a thought that I have had about the wealthy people that I know. I have a friend with millions, he bought a 10,000 dollar rolex and bought a FatBoy Harley, just to put it on a spinning display in his house. But, he would complain if the chow bill at the fire station went over a couple of bucks. We were having a discussion about this subject one time, not about him, but he must have thought so. He asked me if I thought that about him. I said that I think you are the cheapest extravagant person that I know. He couldn't understand why I thought that, so I used the chow reason. His explanation was that if he was doing the shopping, we wouldn't go over. I said, then you should do the shopping. He said he didn't want to, so I said, then you should shut up and pay when we go over. That was the end of the discussion ...Mark
The following 2 users liked this post by maybe368:
bigragu (04-21-2018), edwinsmith (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 12:46 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by nonrev
That's funny cuz where I live in NE Washington code states 4:12 and we get quite a bit of snow, not as much as TC but normally at least 4'. the place I own now the shop was already built and it's a 4:12 and I shovel it at least twice a winter.
BTW T-Man where did you get the pic of a much younger TC in shop class?
If I read this correct, you are shoveling the snow OFF OF THE ROOF?

Yeah, when I take a drive up towards Reno or Tahoe, where it snows for surely, I see that most of the homes and cabins have metal roofs of the standing seam kind, and the pitches of these roofs are greater than from where I live. Every so often I see pitches not at steep on some homes, but then I see they have heated cables mounted on the roof to assist in melting off the snow so that snow load weight doesn’t sit stagnant on the roof.
The following 2 users liked this post by bigragu:
edwinsmith (04-21-2018), mknittle (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 01:24 PM

Received 343 Likes on 241 Posts
Yup it gets over 2' deep and I climb up and shovel it off, of course I always tie myself off so we don't take that big leap off the edge LOL not fun at my age, and yes it is a metal roof, it seems like the last few years around here it will snow about 4-6" of wet heavy snow then go into a week long period of freezing weather and the snow will not slide off.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
What type of roof are you installing? Hopefully with the snows you get a metal roof is in your budget.

Funny story happening in my area- my neighbor is building a mansion, literally, on top of a mountain right behind me. His goals were to build a home that was completely fireproof. Just to give you an idea of how big this place is, he went thru 140 yards of concrete, on the footings alone. No slab, just the footings. His exterior walls are 10” thick solid concrete, and all structural supports are of steel I beams and columns. His roof rafters are metal studs, and the only wood used is the roof substrate, which is 3/4” OSB. All doors are being shipped from Europe. He has had architects swarming up to his house to see the construction style of his exterior walls, as it is the only style used here in the USA(it is not only the concrete walls alone, but how it was insulated using a European design of paneling).

Now onto the roof, and this is where the funny part sets in- he wanted a standing seam metal roof put in, and the bids he got were at around $75K. Being a full hip house, with no gable ends whatsoever, I totally understands the labor involved because of my extensive knowledge on metal roof construction.

He watches a YouTube video on a guy installing a standing seam roof on his tool shed, and tells me he’s gonna do it himself cause he figured “it wasnt ROCKET SCIENCE”. My comment back to him was no it isn’t, but yes it is. I started asking him about checking his roof for square using the 3-4-5 method, establishing a control line, and asked him how he is tying in his gutters to the panels(gutters are required per code in my area), how his roof is being installed for expansion/contraction, and all I got was a blank stare. In the end, he did not want any of my advice offerings, and he went off and bought all the panels which ran him $35K. He was only interested in what type of tools were needed.

I know what others do is none of my business, but when I see a chance to offer assistance I do, cause that’s my nature. The 2 big things that worry me, is where he lives there is a lot of wind, and if the roof isn’t installed correctly, per manufacturers design, his roof will uplift and rip right off his house. Secondly, I found out his roof pitch is of a 4:12. Where we live, with chances of light snow every couple of years, it is required per local code to be of 6:12 or greater. If it does snow and because he doesn’t have enough pitch, there’s the weight of the snow load that could be a problem, or worse yet, any moisture trapped inside the standing seam will freeze and slowly start opening the seams up. Over time, that roof will be open to the elements, and for sure fail. I do not know how he managed to get by plan check with the county on a 4:12 pitch.

Hopefully for where you live, TCows, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the roof pitch in your neck of the woods is minimum 8:12 pitch.

I don’t understand spending $$$$ on a mansion, and half a$$’n the install of a roof due to lack of knowledge and experience. A tool shed done on YouTube is not like what he is attempting to do; his house is more like doing a commercial building.
What gets me is, he just sold an airplane for $300K, so the roof budget can be pulled out of that, be professionally done, and be warranted for life should something fail.

None of my business, I know.....
My guess is, he only had so much money to begin with and he's spent so much on the rest of the house he's running out.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (04-22-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Augie....Thank you for your advice, thoughts and experiences with roofing. I had an Engineering firm do up my shop design and they designed it with a 4:12 pitch. I asked if that was enough and they said yes due to the HD trusses we use up here.....90 lbs per sq/in. I even asked the truss company if the pitch would be enough and how much snow load would the roof be able to take....he claimed I should never have to worry.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:20 PM

Pressurized my tank.

I attached my air hose to the adapter I made and screwed it into the fuel tank filler pipe.

I ran the regulator up to about 5 psi or as close to that as I could see. I've had it on there about 45 minutes and I don't see any leaking fuel. I'll leave it on a while longer and see if anything develops. I don't want to increase the pressure for fear of blowing the seal out of the VE again.

Edwin
Old 04-21-2018, 09:18 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I attached my air hose to the adapter I made and screwed it into the fuel tank filler pipe.

I ran the regulator up to about 5 psi or as close to that as I could see. I've had it on there about 45 minutes and I don't see any leaking fuel. I'll leave it on a while longer and see if anything develops. I don't want to increase the pressure for fear of blowing the seal out of the VE again.

Edwin
Did the. Compressor shut off?
Old 04-21-2018, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Did the. Compressor shut off?
It's my shop compressor so yes it shut off. I just have a regulator to adjust the pressure for whatever tool you're using. The dial is small so getting and accurate setting is difficult when it's that low. When I detached the hose the air came out of the tank though since I just put a quick connect fitting and not a schrader valve.

Maybe I could put a schrader valve in there to see if the pressure holds.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Edwin
Old 04-21-2018, 10:13 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
It's my shop compressor so yes it shut off. I just have a regulator to adjust the pressure for whatever tool you're using. The dial is small so getting and accurate setting is difficult when it's that low. When I detached the hose the air came out of the tank though since I just put a quick connect fitting and not a schrader valve.

Maybe I could put a schrader valve in there to see if the pressure holds.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Edwin
I would leave the Compressor attached, and on. If there is indeed a leak, air will dissipate, the comressor tank will lose its charge, and recycle. If it recycles, your system is not sealed.

Are our trucks fuel systems sealed???? Humph..... I don't know, but I would assume???
Old 04-21-2018, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
I would leave the Compressor attached, and on. If there is indeed a leak, air will dissipate, the comressor tank will lose its charge, and recycle. If it recycles, your system is not sealed.

Are our trucks fuel systems sealed???? Humph..... I don't know, but I would assume???
Unfortunately my quick connects leak ( harbor freight) so that's not a good solution. I would guess the VE would leak some past it's many valves and such but I could be wrong. Does ALL fuel go through the FSS?

It baffles me why it would be hard to start since the VE is still full of fuel I would think. I'll have to let the tank get low again and then when it starts doing it again I can check the VE to see if the fuel drained out of it. But then how could fuel leak back past the check valves in the lift pump.

There's a lot of things I still don't understand about these engines.

Edwin
Old 04-22-2018, 06:20 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Unfortunately my quick connects leak ( harbor freight) so that's not a good solution. I would guess the VE would leak some past it's many valves and such but I could be wrong. Does ALL fuel go through the FSS?

It baffles me why it would be hard to start since the VE is still full of fuel I would think. I'll have to let the tank get low again and then when it starts doing it again I can check the VE to see if the fuel drained out of it. But then how could fuel leak back past the check valves in the lift pump.

There's a lot of things I still don't understand about these engines.

Edwin
When I had a small air leak in the fuel heater gasket the fuel would drain back into the tank. It acted the same way yours does. I would have ti pump the priming lever to get it to start.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:44 AM

Yup it gets over 2' deep and I climb up and shovel it off, of course I always tie myself off so we don't take that big leap off the edge LOL not fun at my age, and yes it is a metal roof, it seems like the last few years around here it will snow about 4-6" of wet heavy snow then go into a week long period of freezing weather and the snow will not slide off.
Vernon, if possible, try and invest in heated cables on your roof. Snow that sits stagnant on your roof is actually doing more damage than just the added weight.

Imagine this: your inside of your house is heated, and depending on the temp difference on the underside of the roof vs the outside temps, the underside of the snow against your roof will slowly melt. You cannot see it, but it’s happening.

Add to that the sun against your roof, and from sunny morning to cold evening some of that snow melting off, but never makes it off of your roof, but instead builds up at the bottom of your roof and stops the melting because the cold evening has came.

You know about capillary attraction? The way water has a way to cling on and move/draw uphill against gravity? Well, when your slushy roof is at the bottom of your roof(around the gutters and a few inches uphill) moisture is seeping under your roofing and capillary attraction is pulling it uphill, maybe up to 4’ under your roofing. The wood substrate underneath your metal roof is rotting, and dying a slow death. Dry rot for sure.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Vernon, if possible, try and invest in heated cables on your roof. Snow that sits stagnant on your roof is actually doing more damage than just the added weight.

Imagine this: your inside of your house is heated, and depending on the temp difference on the underside of the roof vs the outside temps, the underside of the snow against your roof will slowly melt. You cannot see it, but it’s happening.

Add to that the sun against your roof, and from sunny morning to cold evening some of that snow melting off, but never makes it off of your roof, but instead builds up at the bottom of your roof and stops the melting because the cold evening has came.

You know about capillary attraction? The way water has a way to cling on and move/draw uphill against gravity? Well, when your slushy roof is at the bottom of your roof(around the gutters and a few inches uphill) moisture is seeping under your roofing and capillary attraction is pulling it uphill, maybe up to 4’ under your roofing. The wood substrate underneath your metal roof is rotting, and dying a slow death. Dry rot for sure.
I had a cabin near Pagosa springs Colorado for many years and it had an 8 X 12 roof on it IIRC. It was a metal "snoslide" roof. It worked great, but the problem was that there was so much snow that it would slide off,not melt, more would slide off, until the point that the snow on the ground would prevent the snow from sliding off the roof. It just goes to show that the best laid plans of mice and men can go awry...Mark
Old 04-22-2018, 11:31 AM

Received 343 Likes on 241 Posts
Augie, I've seen the heated cables but for me it is more cost effective to just shovel it off, usually the first thing I do is shovel the peak and down about a foot on both sides and if it doesn't slide in a couple of days then I just shovel the rest off only takes a couple of hours.
one thing I have been thinking about doing is later in the fall getting a gallon of liquid car wax concentrate and mixing it kind of strong and spraying the roof with that hoping the snow/ice slide a little easier

The old boy that built the shop before I bought the place (he did it all himself and except setting the trusses and he was 80 years old) he definitely had alot of extra screws and he put them all over the roof on the top of the ridge on the metal, I think that is one of the reasons the snow doesn't like to slide.
BTW how is the physical therapy going?
Old 04-22-2018, 11:53 AM

Augie, I've seen the heated cables but for me it is more cost effective to just shovel it off, usually the first thing I do is shovel the peak and down about a foot on both sides and if it doesn't slide in a couple of days then I just shovel the rest off only takes a couple of hours.
one thing I have been thinking about doing is later in the fall getting a gallon of liquid car wax concentrate and mixing it kind of strong and spraying the roof with that hoping the snow/ice slide a little easier

The old boy that built the shop before I bought the place (he did it all himself and except setting the trusses and he was 80 years old) he definitely had alot of extra screws and he put them all over the roof on the top of the ridge on the metal, I think that is one of the reasons the snow doesn't like to slide.
BTW how is the physical therapy going?
Therapy is going good, as best as it can, but just really slow. The problems I am having is the care givers that are coming over to keep an eye on me while my wife is off to work. They are driving me crazy! I have a ton of stories, but will only mention a couple:

These peoples job description is to basically cook, clean, bathe, wipe butt, all the stuff I can’t do. I do not have them do the hygiene duties, as my wife is helping me with that. One of them was begging my wife for some mixed nuts that she had spotted in our pantry to take home on her drive, even though she already had her own cooler of food, and this was after my wife cooked dinner for US(the roles reversed somehow), and she ate with us(she had two dinners that night, her own and then joined us). My wife literally pushed her out the door, telling her those nuts can be had at Costco.
Another one saw cattle across the street at my neighbors and didn’t know what they were. Who doesn’t know what a cow is at adulthood? What funny is, that her favorite meal, the hamburger, came from that animal, and she didn’t know that either!

The final mind blower was I was showing one of them a picture a friend sent me of his hunting trip, with the typical after kill photo of my friend kneeling next to a big buck with the rifle laying across the carcass.

What I was looking for in the caregivers reaction was “wow, thats kinda cool. Look at that beautiful mountain background”, but instead, this is what they said-“ how did your friend get the deers (yes, deers) to sleep next to him? I thought deers was a scared of people?”
The following 2 users liked this post by bigragu:
edwinsmith (04-22-2018), mknittle (04-22-2018)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?