1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 11:58 AM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Good to know Jim.

I have seen several of his products on E-bay.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
I changed the contacts and brushes in my starter. in the process I found a rattle that developed lately. the left shock mount had worked loose. I also had a couple cab mount bolts that weren't tight as the should be. That done I advanced the timing a little. sounds a lot better.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 4x4 3500
Greased constant velocity joint on front driveshaft (double U joint)... There is one there between the joints, where the centering ball/bearings are...
Old 04-18-2018, 09:55 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
I pressure washed Ol' Patches yesterday.....top to bottom. Try and clean off some of that winter crud....man 2 long "real" winters have sure taken it's toll on the truck. Almost scared to drive it another winter.

Once the shop is built I will definitely have to bring it in and tear it down for a good prime and paint on the frame and suspension, then blast, prime and paint the under side of the cab and box, and maybe paint the whole truck.....no more Patches.
The following 2 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
hunterbob (04-19-2018), mknittle (04-19-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 10:33 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I pressure washed Ol' Patches yesterday.....top to bottom. Try and clean off some of that winter crud....man 2 long "real" winters have sure taken it's toll on the truck. Almost scared to drive it another winter.

Once the shop is built I will definitely have to bring it in and tear it down for a good prime and paint on the frame and suspension, then blast, prime and paint the under side of the cab and box, and maybe paint the whole truck.....no more Patches.
Do they use salt on the roads up there? I was in part of PA a week ago, and it appears they use cinders, and. Not salt
Old 04-18-2018, 11:05 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
TCows- have you already broke ground on your shop’s construction?
Old 04-19-2018, 02:09 PM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
Got my cast iron extension housing from
. $125 vs $245 from Quad. Exact same part, and it showed up within 24 hours of ordering. Hopefully my new hitch setup will be here by tomorrow and I can make this a major truck weekend. I’ve got a lot of hydraulic cylinders to install, and I need my truck to haul em out to the job sites.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by bigragu
TCows- have you already broke ground on your shop’s construction?
Not with a foot of snow still out at the house...... But I have everything lined up with a contractor, permits in hand and now just waiting for summer to get here. Plus there is road weight restrictions in effect out here now so I have to wait for them to be lifted before they can start. Probably be mid June before they lift the weight restrictions, contractor wants to start as soon as they are lifted.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Do they use salt on the roads up there? I was in part of PA a week ago, and it appears they use cinders, and. Not salt
It's a real mix up here....chemical or salt/sand to about -10*C, then it's straight gravel when temps are colder then that. I have had 100x's more wear on the underside of the truck in the last 2 years then the previous 6 years.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:49 PM

It's a real mix up here....chemical or salt/sand to about -10*C, then it's straight gravel when temps are colder then that. I have had 100x's more wear on the underside of the truck in the last 2 years then the previous 6 years.
It's amazing how much the salt takes it's toll on a truck, in such a short period of time.

My dodge looked great in my RR conversion thread. Now it's all rusty cruddy looking under there

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...y-92-a-301769/

So...... disappointing. I get what you mean.
The following 2 users liked this post by NJTman:
hunterbob (04-19-2018), thrashingcows (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 11:45 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Not with a foot of snow still out at the house...... But I have everything lined up with a contractor, permits in hand and now just waiting for summer to get here. Plus there is road weight restrictions in effect out here now so I have to wait for them to be lifted before they can start. Probably be mid June before they lift the weight restrictions, contractor wants to start as soon as they are lifted.
What is the estimated completion date if started in June? Man, you must be excited, to finally have a shop that you’ve been dreaming and planning on for a long time. That’s awesome.

Please promise me you’ll show pics on the progress.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by bigragu
What is the estimated completion date if started in June? Man, you must be excited, to finally have a shop that you’ve been dreaming and planning on for a long time. That’s awesome.

Please promise me you’ll show pics on the progress.
Probably be up in less then a month they figure....so hoping the frost wall foundation, slab floor and framing and sheeting will all be done by the end of July. That is all I am having the contractor do the rest will be up to me....roofing, siding, doors/windows, electrical, insulating, drywalling etc.

I'm shooting to have the roof done and the wood burning stove installed, all the doors and windows in and maybe the lower 3rd of the siding before winter sets in. The rest I can pick away at over the winter.

Gonna be nice, but I'm already loosing sleep over the costs.....I'm to tight with my money even when I know it's what I need and will only increase the resale value of the property.

But I will for sure post up progress pics.
The following 3 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
bigragu (04-21-2018), Blue Goose (04-20-2018), NJTman (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 03:19 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Still trying to figure this low idle out or maybe it is a bit rough idle,

It all started last week after my fuel pump went out and started dumping diesel into my crankcase.

I drained about 3 1/2 gallons out of the crankcase, let it drain for about an hour then refilled it with fresh Rotella, it ran fine for a day then I noticed the idle felt a little low by just a few rpm's, I an sensitive and can feel slight differences just enough to notice a slight rattle, just the weight of my foot on the pedal and it goes away.

Can lower fuel pressure cause a drop in idle?
Or maybe an air leak on the suction side of the pump?

I took all of the linkages apart cleaned and lubed all of the cables and joints
and then turned up the idle screw to compensate but I would like to find out why it happened.

Also how long does it usually take your freshly changed oil to turn black, mine would usually be black within a few days, I pulled the dipstick to check the level and it was still clear like if I just poured it in, the level was where I left it with no smell of diesel, it has been running for about a week now.

Is it possible that the diesel fuel mix has cleaned out the inside of the block?
Where is the best place to get the tapped banjo bolt so I can check the pump pressure?
Jim
Old 04-20-2018, 07:18 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
I don't have answers to all your questions but I know when I change the oil in the race car it takes a couple weekends of racing before it's back to normal. Funny how little things like that will make noticeable differences.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:45 AM

Hey Jim.

I thought Genos has those banjo bolts????

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?