1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 09:26 AM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
My Uncle Jim's idea of a vacation was to take a week off of driving truck and spend it at his clubs antique steam engine and tractor club working on his hit'n'miss engines,antique crawlers, and others stuff.

The following 7 users liked this post by Blue Goose:
1STGENFARMBOY (03-27-2018), Angry Johnny (03-26-2018), Diesel_Dawg (03-24-2018), edwinsmith (03-24-2018), mknittle (03-26-2018), oliver foster (03-24-2018), thrashingcows (03-25-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-24-2018, 09:43 AM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
You know there is something wrong with us when we take our vacations and spend them working on our trucks.

I'm just as guilty though. I've spent at least one week of my two weeks vacation every year working on my truck. This summer won't be any different either as mine will be getting the roof rust repaired.
But it is like a micro vacation every time I get to drive them...

The next long weekend / mini vacation we take will be heading to Carlisle in something old, Dodge and cool though.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (03-26-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
Hey Oliver,
we need some pictures of your progress.

Sincerely,

Department of Suggestions.
Angry Johnny (03-26-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
You know there is something wrong with us when we take our vacations and spend them working on our trucks.

I'm just as guilty though. I've spent at least one week of my two weeks vacation every year working on my truck. This summer won't be any different either as mine will be getting the roof rust repaired.
Wives and girlfriends I'm sure have a few things to say about it..
mknittle (03-26-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 12:20 PM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by 73CrewCab
Hey Oliver,
we need some pictures of your progress.

Sincerely,

Department of Suggestions.
I am a little computer challenged, even after T-man spent an hour with me one day trying to help me to resize and file photos.

T-man and I say in contact through E-mails and chat on the phone on occasion. We get to hang out ever summer over a beer in Carlisle at the Mopar show along with several other DTR'ers that make the show as well
He was a champ and posed several good ones on my Poptop Ramcharger build thread on the progress last week.

I will take some photos of the stuff that happens over Wrench Week.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:46 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
put ypur pics on Shutterfly, no resizing needed. Or you could email them to me and I'd do it.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:27 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts

It isn't work! It's my new hobby.
mknittle (03-26-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 08:40 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Got very confused and swore at it.

So I bled all 6 injectors again in an effort to eliminate all possible issues until the hood had some fuel spray on it from all 6 injectors. I then tried starting the truck again and it just cranked. So in a last ditch effort to get the thing to start without the help of a diesel mechanic I took the air inlet hose to the turbo off and did one very short spray and it fired up. I figured it would stop running after a few seconds. I also had a small board nearby to cover the turbo if the worst happened. It continued running for several minutes and sounded just fine. I then needed to take a break inside for a few and turned it off. I went back out to take it for a test drive and now it is back to not starting.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:33 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
So, I spent about 13 or so hours in the brick, plowing lots, driveways, and avoiding suicidal deer in the middle of the night that for some reason head right out in front of my truck while I'm driving around. The plow would make deer burgers out of them, I'm sure, but I really don't want to find out.

So, I'm into the plowing thing for about 10 minutes, and I'm backing up, and I stop to look at some dude parked in front of the building I'm plowing. He's an employee, and either he's back stealing from the place, or he's a good Samaritan delivering goods to some needy family in a bad area of town. Either way, I completely forgot about him, cause I smelled something BURNING !

I turn the truck off, and my plow motor is running. Pull the controller off in the cab, and it's still running. pop the hood, and I gots me a FIRE just about going on. Smoke billowing out of the fenderwell. My Plow solenoid is stuck ON !

Well, dumb monkey never put a fuse in there preventing overload, and luckily I was able to pull the battery cable off and stop the plow from turning my truck into a towable junkpile up to Ollie in VT.

Note to self: new solenoid every couple years, and put fuses in there to prevent forest fires.

Man same issue I had with Sno-Ball...but at least mine did not start to burn! Glad you got it sorted out quickly. I have had electrical fires in the past and that is one reason I do not keep my battery terminals super tight....loose enough that with a little force I can pop them off.
NJTman (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 01:47 AM

Yesterday I fired up the truck to head to work and there was an awful grinding noise and the belt was making a hideous noise. Quickly shut it down and popped the hood.....water pump died and took out the belt!

Luckily I try and keep at least one spare water pump in my inventory, quickly tossed in a spare WP and an hour later I was back heading to work...left the belt on until I could get at it today.

Couple pics....

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-ccnt7yxh.jpg

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-wzlgi1th.jpg

So today I swapped on my old spare belt as well as a new fuel filter since I have been having some rough running issues the last few weeks. Filter had 10K km's on it and had been in there since Sept/2017, and when I dumped it out there was a fair amount of water and some brown gooey stuff that came out. Fuel pressure is better now as well. Before it was only getting to around 5-6lbs, now I have 8-9lbs.
NJTman (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 04:20 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Yesterday I fired up the truck to head to work and there was an awful grinding noise and the belt was making a hideous noise. Quickly shut it down and popped the hood.....water pump died and took out the belt!

Luckily I try and keep at least one spare water pump in my inventory, quickly tossed in a spare WP and an hour later I was back heading to work...left the belt on until I could get at it today.

Couple pics....

So today I swapped on my old spare belt as well as a new fuel filter since I have been having some rough running issues the last few weeks. Filter had 10K km's on it and had been in there since Sept/2017, and when I dumped it out there was a fair amount of water and some brown gooey stuff that came out. Fuel pressure is better now as well. Before it was only getting to around 5-6lbs, now I have 8-9lbs.
Is it possible you have someone putting water in your fuel fill ? It has a bad seal on cap? Or bad fuel station pumping crap fuel in your tank?

I keep a locking fuel cap on my truck for eliminating one of those questions. I also almost always buy from my local Quik Chek, which sells about a million gallons of diesel, each week, thereby providing me the freshest fuel around.

Are you using any additives? I used to use the white bottle power source, but recently switched to Howes fuel conditioner, as its made with some sort of oil, as well as water removing chemicals. Truck seems to run better, and Amazon sells it cheap, delivered right to my door
Old 03-25-2018, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Is it possible you have someone putting water in your fuel fill ? It has a bad seal on cap? Or bad fuel station pumping crap fuel in your tank?

I keep a locking fuel cap on my truck for eliminating one of those questions. I also almost always buy from my local Quik Chek, which sells about a million gallons of diesel, each week, thereby providing me the freshest fuel around.

Are you using any additives? I used to use the white bottle power source, but recently switched to Howes fuel conditioner, as its made with some sort of oil, as well as water removing chemicals. Truck seems to run better, and Amazon sells it cheap, delivered right to my door
I fuel up at the local Costco and they sell over 150,000 liters a day, so the fuel should be pretty good. But with the winter we have had, and the fact I now deliver fuel and understand the challenges in inclement weather I can see why I had some water in the fuel.

I use the white bottle Power service, but may look at the Howes, thanks for the info.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:39 PM

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts
Stripped the power windows/locks stuff from my old doors, removed the last of the body parts from the parts truck, and loaded it up to haul it off to a guy who will part out the rest of it in exchange for a good left fender and a DODGE RAM stamped tailgate.

Gotta love Southern Living where you can peel a 34 year-old fender from a vehicle and find it is completely rust-free.

Last edited by Butterball; 03-25-2018 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Screwed it up the first time! lol
Blue Goose (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 08:41 PM

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts
But I lost this.... so I'm in search of trim.

NJTman (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 09:26 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
I took the truck over to Del Taco to get supper for the wife. Happy to report the voltage stays steady at 14.5 volts. I guess both VR's I had were bad and the new one did the trick. Lesson: Never overlook the obvious!

Edwin

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?