1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 03:31 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by nonrev
TC, I think I would put those chains on the back tires cuz any time you put down pressure on the blade it raises those front wheels off the ground.

sweet little rig btw, is it a diesel
True but the front wheels are the ones that run off the drive motors, the rear are just chain driven. I figured better to have the extra grip...and potential "shock" to the system if one set of tires grab harder then the other. Plus I have another set of chains for the rear tires if I want to put them on....

Originally Posted by cougar
That's what I need. The new place gets a lot more snow. A snow blower attachment would make it perfect.
I agree....but the cost of the snow blowers is what kills it for me. Cheaper to use Sno-ball to push the snow, then the machine to move and pile it.

Last edited by thrashingcows; 03-12-2018 at 01:05 AM. Reason: And yes it has a 4bt Cummins!!
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 05:15 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
VR Plug

Well I've been thinking about the problem of my charging voltage jumping all over the place and I think I have it figured out. Today since it wasn't raining I popped the hood and started the truck up. I put my Tripplett meter on the battery and I started wiggling the plug to the Voltage Regulator on the firewall. I could make the voltage jump all over the place between about 14.5 volts to 19.5 volts. I took off the plug and I found it was damaged with the plastic of the center ignition terminal deformed. I trimmed away the deformed plastic and I ran a wire brush into the plug hole a bit to clean it some then I squeezed it down with pliers. I put it back together and the voltage read 14.5 so I called it good and went for a drive. It seems to be steady for the time being. I'll put a new plug on order.

I wanted to find one of the Variable voltage VR's which have the number C8313 and have a screw adjustment on the back but I can't find one on Amazon or locally. All the others are on Fleabay or are priced way higher.

If the plug fixes the issue I still have a newer VR for a spare. The one I have on there now is one I bought 12 years ago but has few miles on it. Probably the original was OK and it was the plug problem all along.

The plug connections on these trucks seem to be a constant problem.

Edwin
NJTman (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 07:33 PM
KRB

Received 523 Likes on 363 Posts
That was a sexy scene, for a kids movie I mean...

Hauled a load of hay with the rebuilt tranny. Me likey. Low stall and a shift kit is good. Highest tranny temp was 160*F with ambient at about 45*. All is good.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:39 PM

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts
Today I swapped the bed from the black parts truck to the '92 D250.

A cherry picker seemed to work really well to pick up the bed, but it could use a slightly longer arm insert to increase the reach. Another 6-8 inches would've made the job go a lot faster...

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-wxca9dn.jpg

I was happy with how easy it was to move, it actually rolled around much easier than when loaded with an engine.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-1cqtgry.jpg

People who buy welders should be subjected to an I.Q. test!

This was a previous owner's attempt to fabricate a ball hitch mount in the bed.... :tsk:

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-iw6wfij.jpg

That mess took about 2 hours to remove without damaging the frame, brake lines, wiring, fuel tank, etc. - but I was able to remove everything except some leftover steel plate welded along the length of one of the crossmembers.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-rudakkq.jpg

When you use a 1/2 ton bed on a 3/4 or 1-ton you need to remove these little spacers for clearance, there are 2 on each side. The heavier trucks have a slightly taller frame in these areas. A Sawzall made pretty quick work of them...

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-r0cslki.jpg

Bed swap is complete! Next come the doors and fenders!

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-qqhibxp.jpg
The following 6 users liked this post by Butterball:
1stGEN'93 (03-11-2018), Blue Goose (03-11-2018), Diesel_Dawg (03-12-2018), NJTman (03-11-2018), nonrev (03-11-2018), thrashingcows (03-12-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-11-2018, 09:13 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
cool! another multi colored truck on the site! wish my bed was that rust free...even with the dents.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:14 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Butterball
Today I swapped the bed from the black parts truck to the '92 D250.

A cherry picker seemed to work really well to pick up the bed, but it could use a slightly longer arm insert to increase the reach. Another 6-8 inches would've made the job go a lot faster...

I was happy with how easy it was to move, it actually rolled around much easier than when loaded with an engine.

People who buy welders should be subjected to an I.Q. test!

This was a previous owner's attempt to fabricate a ball hitch mount in the bed.... :tsk:

That mess took about 2 hours to remove without damaging the frame, brake lines, wiring, fuel tank, etc. - but I was able to remove everything except some leftover steel plate welded along the length of one of the crossmembers.

When you use a 1/2 ton bed on a 3/4 or 1-ton you need to remove these little spacers for clearance, there are 2 on each side. The heavier trucks have a slightly taller frame in these areas. A Sawzall made pretty quick work of them...

Bed swap is complete! Next come the doors and fenders!

Wowza that body from the doner truck is MINT! Maybe I should do a similar thing to find a bed for my heap. I’m not sure how hard the dent on the passenger side of my bed would be to fix?

Hopefully the dent is easy enough to see in these pictures.
Butterball (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 09:19 PM

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts
Should be plenty of rust-free parts trucks out there in Utah!
Swapping parts is way cheaper / less time consuming than doing body work!
The following 2 users liked this post by Butterball:
1stGEN'93 (03-11-2018), thrashingcows (03-12-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 09:19 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
as someone from the heart of the rust belt...I'd rather have to fix a dent then rust!Unless that dent is a lot worse than it shows in the pics, I would think there is enough room to get at the dent from behind and work at least most of it.
1stGEN'93 (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93

Wowza that body from the doner truck is MINT! Maybe I should do a similar thing to find a bed for my heap. I’m not sure how hard the dent on the passenger side of my bed would be to fix?

Hopefully the dent is easy enough to see in these pictures.
It won't be that hard to fix. Just pull it out and a couple buckets of Bondo.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:33 PM

Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts
That hitch was better than mine. Mine had 4 L brackets welded downhill with 6013. 3 of the 4 brackets I knocked off with 2 whacks of a 2lb hammer.
N. Besonderes (03-13-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by peckens
That hitch was better than mine. Mine had 4 L brackets welded downhill with 6013. 3 of the 4 brackets I knocked off with 2 whacks of a 2lb hammer.
I thought the pivot point should be a bit further forward for stability.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
It won't be that hard to fix. Just pull it out and a couple buckets of Bondo.
Yeah, that is not what I wanted to hear. I want to use as little bondo as possible. It doesn't seem to ever last very well long term and just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. There is already a small dent on one of the back top corners of the bed that looks to have been bondoed about 20 years ago that is peeling off. I guess I'll look for a bed or whole truck with good body for cheap. I obviously don't need the motor so maybe I can find something with no motor or a blown motor that has a good body.

You would be surprised at how rusty some of the vehicles from northern Utah are from people not taking care of them with the salt used on the roads up there in the winter. Then here in southern Utah toyota tacoma from the 80's with 2XX,XXX miles on it are always for sale for $7,000 plus. It is like people think they are made of gold! I say not so, especially since most of them are in as bad or worse cosmetic condition than my truck.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93
Yeah, that is not what I wanted to hear. I want to use as little bondo as possible. It doesn't seem to ever last very well long term and just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. There is already a small dent on one of the back top corners of the bed that looks to have been bondoed about 20 years ago that is peeling off. I guess I'll look for a bed or whole truck with good body for cheap. I obviously don't need the motor so maybe I can find something with no motor or a blown motor that has a good body.

You would be surprised at how rusty some of the vehicles from northern Utah are from people not taking care of them with the salt used on the roads up there in the winter. Then here in southern Utah toyota tacoma from the 80's with 2XX,XXX miles on it are always for sale for $7,000 plus. It is like people think they are made of gold! I say not so, especially since most of them are in as bad or worse cosmetic condition than my truck.
Didn't old time body men beat out fenders and such then coat them with lead instead of Bondo? I don't know if the lead would last any longer but I would think that it would stick better. Probably cost a lot more to do it that way though. Could you form a sheet of galvanized steel and weld it in place of the bent portion?
Old 03-12-2018, 12:51 AM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
Took the rear driveshaft out to change the center u-joint as its never been done and I have been hearing a dinging clunking sounds when accelerating. Found the getrag yoke nut had come off instead and that was what was making the noise. Cleaned the threads and put it back on with some loctite and a 4' breaker bar.

Removed the u-joint anyways and cleaned and relubed all the needles and put it all back together. Found one broken roller bearing so replaced it with a good one from a old joint.

Good to go for another 100k!
thrashingcows (03-14-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Didn't old time body men beat out fenders and such then coat them with lead instead of Bondo? I don't know if the lead would last any longer but I would think that it would stick better. Probably cost a lot more to do it that way though. Could you form a sheet of galvanized steel and weld it in place of the bent portion?
Maybe, but I guess I’ll just look for another bed in good shape or put a flatbed on it. I don’t care if the paint is good on a replacement bed, just if it is straight. Maybe I’ll find one nearby and then sell my bed for a couple hundred bucks.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?