1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
Nice looking truck.

In your last picture...I have to ask is that some sort of "skin" that was on the fuel from the veggie oil, or is that paper towel in the grease puddle from cleaning it out? If that is the "chicken skin" that say sometime develops in Veggie tanks that is gross.

My daughter and I have a lot of fun naming our trucks.
Thanks! The paint is a mess, but I plan to fix that when I have the time where I don’t need a vehicle all the time. That is “skin” as you put it that was all over in the tank. Definitely gross. The money you save running veggie oil is not the money you save. You can filter out particulates, but you’ll never filter out the fats that turn liquid when warm enough. NEVER RUN YOUR TRUCK ON WVO!!!
Old 12-12-2017, 06:50 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Screen on bottom of sending unit.
Whole assembly. Notice the buildup?
Originally Posted by james1
I have the same question. I've run a lot of biodiesel and some veggie oil; I hope my tank is not such a mess .
My recomendation would be to TOP RUNNING WVO IMMEDIATELY!!! After you’ve done that don’t fill it with diesel without cleaning out the tank and cleaning out fuel lines with carb cleaner and gas or replacing them. Then blow them out with a air compressor. My truck ran just fine until the diesel started breaking down the veggie oil. After that the fuel shut off solenoid still didn’t work. I ended up taking it to a shop and having them do a tune up on the truck. They tried saving me some money by not replacing the injection pump, but I then had to drive it and not stop until it cleaned out. If I stopped it would die and then was harder to start. The shop recommended Stanadyne fuel additive and that helped get rid of the varnish that forms with veggie oil. After hours of driving back and forth on a backroad where I had turn around points so I didn’t have to stop, the pump is MOSTLY cleaned out and the fuel shut off solenoid now works after replacing it again. Truck doesn’t die anymore, but it took HOURS of back and forth driving. I discourage everyone from running waste vegetable oil in any engine. It doesn’t matter how much you filter it, the fats are still there. They solidify in your fuel system when it cools off and creates a varnish. Then you have issues. My truck is a rescued truck that was rotting away in a guys yard, and he had left the veggie oil in the tank for a couple years. He then just drained the tank and patched the small hole and filled it with a little diesel. Yours would probably not be as extreme as mine, but I again recommend you drop the tank ASAP and have it cleaned and flush out lines at the same time or replace mine. Just what was in my pump is what caused problems for so long from recirculation. After you switch to diesel I recommend running Stanadyne fuel additive permanently as it is also a good product to run in any diesel. I’ll post more pictures of what was collecting in my tank. It’s not any better. Sending unit doesn’t work anymore so I’m trying to find a new one. They’re proving to be hard to find the whole assembly.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93
Whole assembly. Notice the buildup?

Sending unit doesn’t work anymore so I’m trying to find a new one. They’re proving to be hard to find the whole assembly.
I have several complete sending units here at the shop.
PM me if you would like.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:18 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
6.7 water pumps fit our first gens? Is there a significant advantage to be had?
Yes, they fit. They have a more sophisticated impeller, and create higher pressure/higher flow. Supposedly, they can blow the freeze plug out of the back of the block at high RPM's in a 12 valve engine, but I can't confirm that. They also have a more robust bearing -- the side load from the belt is greater on the 6.7 than the 12 valve engines.

I have one in my truck. The original water pump was getting a little loose at 230,000 miles, which is about when the original pump in my other 1st gen started leaking, so I replaced it with an aftermarket 6.7 pump with roller bearings. So far so good, but it is only maybe 10,000 miles.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:15 AM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
Towed this farm fresh 67 MGB GT home last night. Going to clean it up and pop it up for sale (I’m not much of a British car guy...) Hopefully, I can make a few extra bucks to go towards an AC compressor, condenser, lines and an evac/charge before summer hits. Oh, and I got an Old Air Products “hurricane” unit delivered today. Got to unbox it and check things out a little bit. Hopefully doing the install really soon.
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 04:22 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Its 19* f , right now.

We don't need no stinkin A/C....

Lol
mknittle (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 06:29 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Its 19* f , right now.

Lol
We had 14* last week
edwinsmith (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by mknittle
We had 14* last week
Thanks for sending it our way, my friend..
mknittle (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 09:06 AM

Yesterday, hosed off the plow, and then hosed off the front of the truck after washing the rest of the outside. Spiffy clean today

Today, I'll be checking bolts, greasing TRE's, Ball Joints, Driveshafts, etc. A bit nipply out there today, so I'll be wearing my Zoot Suit (insulated coveralls) to keep the old man warm.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93
My recommendation would be to STOP RUNNING WVO IMMEDIATELY!!! After you’ve done that don’t fill it with diesel without cleaning out the tank and cleaning out fuel lines with carb cleaner and gas or replacing them. Then blow them out with a air compressor. My truck ran just fine until the diesel started breaking down the veggie oil. After that the fuel shut off solenoid still didn’t work. I ended up taking it to a shop and having them do a tune up on the truck. They tried saving me some money by not replacing the injection pump, but I then had to drive it and not stop until it cleaned out. If I stopped it would die and then was harder to start. The shop recommended Stanadyne fuel additive and that helped get rid of the varnish that forms with veggie oil. After hours of driving back and forth on a backroad where I had turn around points so I didn’t have to stop, the pump is MOSTLY cleaned out and the fuel shut off solenoid now works after replacing it again. Truck doesn’t die anymore, but it took HOURS of back and forth driving. I discourage everyone from running waste vegetable oil in any engine. It doesn’t matter how much you filter it, the fats are still there. They solidify in your fuel system when it cools off and creates a varnish. Then you have issues. My truck is a rescued truck that was rotting away in a guys yard, and he had left the veggie oil in the tank for a couple years. He then just drained the tank and patched the small hole and filled it with a little diesel. Yours would probably not be as extreme as mine, but I again recommend you drop the tank ASAP and have it cleaned and flush out lines at the same time or replace mine. Just what was in my pump is what caused problems for so long from recirculation. After you switch to diesel I recommend running Stanadyne fuel additive permanently as it is also a good product to run in any diesel. I’ll post more pictures of what was collecting in my tank. It’s not any better. Sending unit doesn’t work anymore so I’m trying to find a new one. They’re proving to be hard to find the whole assembly.
Thanks. I haven't run WVO in at least five years and I've run a lot of biodiesel since then. Edwinsmith reported on this forum that the methanol in biodiesel has a solvent effect -- so I'm guessing my fuel tank is relatively clean.

I recently purchased the single last OEM sending unit from a Dodge dealer in Colorado Springs and I will be dropping my tank soon to install it, so I'll have a chance to clear out any crud. Thanks again.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:45 AM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Its 19* f , right now.

Lol
Its 86/43 here in Southern Ca. Still need AC for my 3 year old twins.... 2 months ago, we had a few weeks of 102*-114* days.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by 73CrewCab
Its 86/43 here in Southern Ca. Still need AC for my 3 year old twins.... 2 months ago, we had a few weeks of 102*-114* days.
Welcome to the cub ...Mark
Old 12-14-2017, 07:36 AM

For Mr Fusion
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-1214170640b-1024x576-1.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-1214170639-1024x576-1-1.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by NJTman:
edwinsmith (12-14-2017), MrFusion (12-15-2017), thrashingcows (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 06:39 PM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
I got out for the first plow of the year here at my house.
We got about a foot of snow over the last few days. I got most of the yard and driveway plowed out before I stuck the old plow pretty well in some mud that was under the snow. I was plowing out an area that had been freshly graded out in the late fall and the ground was soft / unfrozen under the snow.
The front wheels mostly disappeared in the mud under the snow. I looked at how bad it was and decided with the temp hovering about 0 F* and the sun going down in less than an hour I would give up. I walked away and headed towards the beer on the porch.
thrashingcows (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 09:03 AM

Went to the home cheapo, and followed this goober out onto the 50mph hwy.

His wheelbarrow didn't quite fit...

Goober...
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-1215170943_hdr-1-1024x803.jpg  
The following 5 users liked this post by NJTman:
edwinsmith (12-15-2017), mknittle (12-15-2017), MrFusion (12-15-2017), nonrev (12-16-2017), thrashingcows (12-15-2017)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?