1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
Well, I couldn’t get the bolt out of the belt tensioner last night, without fear of breaking the bolt with my 1/2” drive breaker bar. Soaked it in PB all night, pulled out a bent bolt this morning, raced over to the hardware store and grabbed a new 10x1.5x80 bolt grade 10.9. The little weewee on the tensioner was sheared off. The only thing that I can think of is that the PO must have somehow hit the tensioner, when he removed the AC compressor. It’s been fine for about 4,000 miles, but it was time I guess. Hopefully the Dayco tensioner with a COMPOSITE pulley will last. The old one had a steel pulley.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by 73CrewCab
. Hopefully the Dayco tensioner with a COMPOSITE pulley will last. The old one had a steel pulley.
Swap the steel pulley over onto the new tensioner?
Old 11-10-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by alxknngr
Could this be related to how the lights get grounded? I remember J martin mentioning it in the past.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...8/#post3281230
Excellent first post, mr. Alxnngr.

Might be the ticket. After reading that post, it seems as though I read it back then, and then completely forgot about it.

Appreciated.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:06 PM
BHD

Received 418 Likes on 279 Posts
I started a full fluid change on my CTD RamCharger today since PA DOT decided to start spraying car rotting chemicals on the road. Dropped the tranny pan (518) and found a nice chunk of metal stuck to the magnet. I didn't see a lot of flakes in the fluid, but big chunk of mystery metal has me concerned. I haven't seen a slushbox worth owning and this one has performed well, but I'm guessing it is not long with this world. I'll start a new thread and hope someone can shed some light on what is broken.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Shelby/Dakota
Swap the steel pulley over onto the new tensioner?
I’ll wait and see how it holds up. I’ll also keep the old one handy, to rob parts from...
Old 11-10-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
I have been running those composite dayco pulleys on my tensioners for a lot of miles now with no issues. But having said that I have never had a steel one....so not sure what is the norm?
Old 11-10-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by BHD
I started a full fluid change on my CTD RamCharger today since PA DOT decided to start spraying car rotting chemicals on the road. Dropped the tranny pan (518) and found a nice chunk of metal stuck to the magnet. I didn't see a lot of flakes in the fluid, but big chunk of mystery metal has me concerned. I haven't seen a slushbox worth owning and this one has performed well, but I'm guessing it is not long with this world. I'll start a new thread and hope someone can shed some light on what is broken.
That's what you get for dumping beer in the trans!!
Old 11-11-2017, 08:07 AM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Yesterday I took the Vanilla Gorilla [White '85 crew], The Gauntlet ['89 12V RC] and Poncho ['91.0 W250] off the road due to the fact the salt trucks started up yesterday for the few inches of snow we just got. Time to write up a small list of things to fix on each rig and leave them on the dash. I do this so I don't forget any of the things that need attention to be ready to rock next April or early May when the salt is washed off the roads. Time to clean out the back of the shop and tuck some Mopar away for a long winter.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:06 AM
BHD

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Yesterday I took the Vanilla Gorilla [White '85 crew], The Gauntlet ['89 12V RC] and Poncho ['91.0 W250] off the road due to the fact the salt trucks started up yesterday for the few inches of snow we just got. Time to write up a small list of things to fix on each rig and leave them on the dash. I do this so I don't forget any of the things that need attention to be ready to rock next April or early May when the salt is washed off the roads. Time to clean out the back of the shop and tuck some Mopar away for a long winter.
I have been getting ready for the same thing. I don't run anything but the RamCharger in the winter because the sheetmetal is garbage on that ride. Everything else gets winterized and parked.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:08 AM
BHD

Originally Posted by MrFusion
That's what you get for dumping beer in the trans!!
I use that for conditioner.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:51 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
One nice thing about SoCal is if you want to see snow you can drive up in the mountains and when you're tired of snow you can go home.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
One nice thing about SoCal is if you want to see snow you can drive up in the mountains and when you're tired of snow you can go home.

The Vancouver BC area I was originally from was the same way....just having to deal with the several million less then courteous and caring individuals on the road, and in the community is what killed it for me.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BHD
That is the end of a snap-ring. One that probably holds a reaction plate in. Its been several years since I have been in a 518. That tranny will need some attention soon! Very simple part, that requires a complete tear-down to get to.
Unfortunately! What a bummer! The end that looks broken at an "angle" is most likely the good end, and the end that looks "square" is most likely the broken end.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
not to...but with and for.this was my '88 D100 that I had originally bought for $300 as a parts truck for the '87 D100 I got from my Uncle Jim, and his now my '91 W250. The '88 was too nice to part, and in better shape than the '87, and Jim wanted to find a cab from a diesel, so I drove the '88 for about 5 years, and swapped the 318/auto from the '87.When Jim passed and I got the diesel, I parked the '88 and didn't know what to do with it. A buddy's son needed wheels, so I sold it to him.Well he tore it apart and started to redo it when he quit his job and moved to Alabama. He was hurting for $$, so he had his Dad sell parts for cash. I got the cab,front clip, and tailgate back for $300. The cab is rust free, with just one bad spot on the roof. It was originally a V6 5 speed, so I thing the hump will be the same. But it will be yard art till Springtime.

and this is what I brought home, minus the 6 foot bed. The rear frame is shot, but he'll get the frame back since his boy rebuilt the front end.

and every wife's dream come true....and that is how wide our yard is, so they kinda stick out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Blue Goose:
mknittle (11-11-2017), thrashingcows (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 09:38 PM
BHD

Originally Posted by m-o-p-a-r
That is the end of a snap-ring. One that probably holds a reaction plate in. Its been several years since I have been in a 518. That tranny will need some attention soon! Very simple part, that requires a complete tear-down to get to.
Unfortunately! What a bummer! The end that looks broken at an "angle" is most likely the good end, and the end that looks "square" is most likely the broken end.
Thanks man. I figured as much.

The only attention I will give to an auto is a quick toss in the scrap pile. I have a donor with a Getrag, that will be my cheapest option I'm thinking.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?