1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 11:20 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Glue traps, the large 8" x 4" ones, baited with TomCat brand poison bars stuck in the middle, is what I use. I strategically place one set up on top of the windshield wash fluid tank, then one on top of the grid heaters, and a third one on top of the valve covers.

One year I used a rat trap on top of the windshield wash tank, baited with a piece of that poison bar, and popped a squirrel.

And to make sure they don't get away, I run inch and a quarter long finish screws from bottom of the trap upwards, at half inch gaps, along the perimeter of where the snap lands.

A headache and spearing at the same time!
The following 2 users liked this post by bigragu:
mknittle (11-01-2017), thrashingcows (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 07:03 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Maybe you should crapping in the barn.
If I owned a barn........
Old 10-31-2017, 01:34 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
If I owned a barn........
Where I grew up we sometimes called the garage the barn. I had a dog that liked to crap in there. He's no longer with us...
The following users liked this post:
bigragu (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 05:42 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Where I grew up we sometimes called the garage the barn. I had a dog that liked to crap in there. He's no longer with us...
I had a neighbor that liked to crap in our barn....he is no longer with us either
The following 3 users liked this post by Lary Ellis (Top):
bigragu (10-31-2017), mknittle (11-01-2017), NJTman (10-31-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 06:43 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Glue traps, the large 8" x 4" ones, baited with TomCat brand poison bars stuck in the middle, is what I use. I strategically place one set up on top of the windshield wash fluid tank, then one on top of the grid heaters, and a third one on top of the valve covers.

One year I used a rat trap on top of the windshield wash tank, baited with a piece of that poison bar, and popped a squirrel.

And to make sure they don't get away, I run inch and a quarter long finish screws from bottom of the trap upwards, at half inch gaps, along the perimeter of where the snap lands.

A headache and spearing at the same time!
A couple years ago I caught two adult rats in the same trap.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
A couple years ago I caught two adult rats in the same trap.
I remember that, Mark. Skippy as bait, wasn't it? You rat sniper, you! One shot, two kills, lol!
mknittle (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 10:37 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
I remember that, Mark. Skippy as bait, wasn't it? You rat sniper, you! One shot, two kills, lol!
That's right. twice the rat.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
We have a roof rat problem in my neighborhood because of all the citrus trees, they just love fruit. I got up 1 morning and something had chewed on a banana that was in a tray and left 1 turd. 1 trap and some Skippy later, no more rat. They just love peanut butter. I just painted my house white and I saw some tracks going up the wall and onto a window sill. Turned out I had another one living in a shed and was eating the fruit from my Mexican Key lime tree, I think that he "HAD" a good life, while it lasted ...Mark ...And by the way, when I asked to have you guys post up non-sticky threads in my archive thread, in order to archive them, that would exclude this one. 315 pages would kill me...
thrashingcows (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 02:20 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Well after several nights/mornings driving with a bad headlight switch I finally got to it last night. Tore everything apart and swapped in a spare switch, powered things up and turned the lights on....same issue! Now the odds of another headlight switch having the same issue is huge, so something else must be the problem.

I had checked my fuses visually and they all "looked" good.....turns out I should have popped them out to check. Turns out the 20amp - ext lamp/horn - fuse was cooked down low. Must have been a very old fuse since the internal link was in an up/down orientation, all my others ones are in a side/side set-up. Anyway replaced the fuse and everything works again.
The following 2 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
Blue Goose (11-01-2017), edwinsmith (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 04:14 PM

About three or four years ago I brought my truck to a local auto body shop to have the roof repainted. There was no rust on it at the time and the theory was to fix the gutter which was starting to have little cracks in it and repaint the roof before it started to rust thereby eliminating the rust. Since I brought it there that first time with no rust the paint has failed three separate times and now my roof is rotting out. I guess I should have just left well enough alone.

Today I scraped the paint in the rust bubbles off in applied some zinc paint on there after removing some of the new gutter sealant. Seems as though you get what you ask for and now I'm paying for it again. Had paid twice out of the three times it was repainted now I'm going to have to re-pay again.

Has anyone found a fix for this? Other than moving to Arizona?
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-1101171317a-768x1365-1.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-1101171317c_hdr-1024x576-1.jpg  
Old 11-01-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
About three or four years ago I brought my truck to a local auto body shop to have the roof repainted. There was no rust on it at the time and the theory was to fix the gutter which was starting to have little cracks in it and repaint the roof before it started to rust thereby eliminating the rust. Since I brought it there that first time with no rust the paint has failed three separate times and now my roof is rotting out. I guess I should have just left well enough alone.

Today I scraped the paint in the rust bubbles off in applied some zinc paint on there after removing some of the new gutter sealant. Seems as though you get what you ask for and now I'm paying for it again. Had paid twice out of the three times it was repainted now I'm going to have to re-pay again.

Has anyone found a fix for this? Other than moving to Arizona?
More than six years ago I noticed the OEM paint on my cab roof had worn too thin and there was some very fine surface rust beginning to show. I took it to the body shop -- they painted the roof and replaced the OEM gutter seals with a 2-part epoxy product made by Teknol (MRS-7204). (The stuff was apparently then being used as OEM on several Ford products; it has held up extremely well on my truck.) I can no longer locate the Teknol product on the web but 3M is making a 2-part epoxy seam sealer that was recently recommended on this forum (3M 08307). But it seems your problem may be more than just bad seam sealer? Sorry I can't be more help...
Old 11-01-2017, 04:40 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
The weakest link on our old truck in my opinion.

I need to work on mine as well.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Other than moving to Arizona?
You could move to New Mexico ...Mark
NJTman (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 07:37 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Thanks for the rodent advise guys! Poison is a NOGO due to the porch cats. I baited the traps with peanut butter. Nothing yet. Maybe the cats are doing their jobs. I DID cut back their food a bit. I might give a Walk-The-Plank trap a try. Check them out on YouTube. I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by james1
More than six years ago I noticed the OEM paint on my cab roof had worn too thin and there was some very fine surface rust beginning to show. I took it to the body shop -- they painted the roof and replaced the OEM gutter seals with a 2-part epoxy product made by Teknol (MRS-7204). (The stuff was apparently then being used as OEM on several Ford products; it has held up extremely well on my truck.) I can no longer locate the Teknol product on the web but 3M is making a 2-part epoxy seam sealer that was recently recommended on this forum (3M 08307). But it seems your problem may be more than just bad seam sealer? Sorry I can't be more help...
The sealer "was the new and improved"... yada, yada, yada. The body shop sucks, as I didn't have any, I mean zero rust in there until they got their hands on it.

A small gap formed between the sealer and the metal, which allowed water to enter, then causing rust to form beneath the sealer. The first time they said the guy they hired was not doing his job. The second time they fixed it, they said that "it's your truck, and this will come back".

Well, that's all fine and dandy, if I actually had any rust in the first place, and if they had done the job properly, and were willing to guarantee that it would never come back ..... which is what I was told, that it was never coming back.... they were doing it right the second time around.

Yeah.... Don't believe the bull they say to you.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?