1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 06:58 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
TCows, don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods concerning permits, and materials allowed, but have you priced your shop made out of metal studs, entirely? My good friend had his home custom built with 100% metal studs and all wall insulation was spray in foam, before the Sheetrock was laid. He told me the metal studs were cheaper in materials cost when compared to traditional wood frame.

4" walls, 6" ceiling joists, and depending on your spans and roof loads, possibly 8" wide rafters.

If I had to do it over again, I'd have built my home with metal studs, but at the time it was unheard of in residential use.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:26 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
TCows, don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods concerning permits, and materials allowed, but have you priced your shop made out of metal studs, entirely? My good friend had his home custom built with 100% metal studs and all wall insulation was spray in foam, before the Sheetrock was laid. He told me the metal studs were cheaper in materials cost when compared to traditional wood frame.

4" walls, 6" ceiling joists, and depending on your spans and roof loads, possibly 8" wide rafters.

If I had to do it over again, I'd have built my home with metal studs, but at the time it was unheard of in residential use.
Due to snow loads the walls have to be 6" studs on houses and shops/garages up to 16' high walls. My engineered drawings and permits are all for the wood construction, so that would cost me a couple grand more to redo them all.....highly doubt the cost savings would be that much.
The following users liked this post:
bigragu (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Just build yourself a big igloo this winter!
Old 09-06-2017, 09:20 PM

I remember driving by a few mock up model homes, with big signs saying "metal stud framing". Having been around all that type of framing in commercial construction, I thought to myself "its about time!".

It didn't grab on in this part of the NorCal market anyway, and come to find out it was because they couldn't find enough skilled help to build in the residential market. All the skilled workers needed for metal stud work were all tied up in the commercial work sector.

That also became a problem for the small roofing contractors that had specialized in residential metal roofing, but shingle style. Now that was a beautiful roof. Looked like tile, but all metal. A forever roof.
If I was a lotto winner, I would have chosen that type of roof, but in copper.
thrashingcows (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 10:14 PM

That also became a problem for the small roofing contractors that had specialized in residential metal roofing, but shingle style. Now that was a beautiful roof. Looked like tile, but all metal. A forever roof.
If I was a lotto winner, I would have chosen that type of roof, but in copper.
I have seen a few of those roofs.....they sure look stunning!
Old 09-06-2017, 10:21 PM

Well last couple days I got at the roof on the old Ramcharger.....was starting to rust up pretty bad. Truck was originally from Eastern WA state high desert region so the paint on the roof was mostly cooked off. Then sitting out side all winter with several feet of snow on it, and the rain and cool temperatures up north had started to take it's toll.

So I sanded it down by hand....mostly just surface rust, then primed and painted it. I used some pre-mixed paint they sell at Canadian Tire, just filter and your ready to spray. The Slate grey paint I chose turned out to have a lot of metallic in it, and I was not painting in the best of conditions....outside, warm temperatures in the hot sun. SO the paint is a bit blotchy, but at least it is protected from the environment for a few more years.

Once I get the new shop built I will be able to dedicate a corner to a temp paint booth and give both Patches, and Sno-ball a decent paint job.

PS....I'd post pics but have not found a new site on-line to host my photo's.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:25 PM

Also been chasing air leaks in my fuel system on Patches. Been trying to seal things up since swapping in the new'er injectors, and having the IP off. Now that the mornings are getting cold...been 3*C the last few mornings...the truck starts rough and shudders and shakes while blowing white smoke. Does this for 30 sec to a minute before clearing the air out of the system. Runs great the rest of the day and even after sitting for 4-6hours....just after 10-12 hours of sitting in the cool does it give me any grief.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:08 AM

Did you ever get that noise chase down resolved, TC?
Did you leave your M&H spacer permanently off then? I'm curious what your fuel mileage has been, if you sure enough did remove that spacer.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:38 AM
KRB

Received 523 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFusion
A guy down the road from me put two 20 ft containers about 20 feet apart and and built a pitched roof between them. Storage in one container. Shop in the other. Cover to work under. He also considered putting them 15' apart and putting one on RR tie risers with a flat roof between them so it would drain.
My buddy did that. He found some used trusses and set those over the two containers with a covered area in between. Cut windows and a stove pipe hole in one for a shop and used the other for a locked storage area. Pretty neat.

Question on the wood vs metal construction. Does a metal 2x4 have the same load carrying capacity as a wood 2x4? I'd ask my dad the architect but it's 4:30 am here. Just wondering when you are looking at snow load etc, is it apples to apples?
Old 09-07-2017, 03:39 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows

PS....I'd post pics but have not found a new site on-line to host my photo's.
Why not use DTR's upload function ?

I switched to that a few years back, and none of my pics since have disappeared, or cost me $400 a month...

I use paint to resize them to a manageable 800 x 800 pics or so.
The following 2 users liked this post by NJTman:
mknittle (09-07-2017), thrashingcows (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
My buddy did that. He found some used trusses and set those over the two containers with a covered area in between. Cut windows and a stove pipe hole in one for a shop and used the other for a locked storage area. Pretty neat.

Question on the wood vs metal construction. Does a metal 2x4 have the same load carrying capacity as a wood 2x4? I'd ask my dad the architect but it's 4:30 am here. Just wondering when you are looking at snow load etc, is it apples to apples?
Probably not. And I probably put out the wrong idea when I said "all metal stud framed house", because it cannot be all metal studs. Somewhere in that mix of steel has to be the reinforcement structural beams and columns.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
I've ben using shutterfly..no cost,no resizing.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Why not use DTR's upload function ?

I switched to that a few years back, and none of my pics since have disappeared, or cost me $400 a month...

I use paint to resize them to a manageable 800 x 800 pics or so.
Originally Posted by Blue Goose
I've ben using shutterfly..no cost,no resizing.
I would but I don't want to upload pics of Non-1st gen content. Think I will check out shutterfly as the Tealduck suggests....
Old 09-07-2017, 04:07 PM

Did you ever get that noise chase down resolved, TC?
Did you leave your M&H spacer permanently off then? I'm curious what your fuel mileage has been, if you sure enough did remove that spacer.
The noise has been progressively getting better, with the removal of the M/H spacer, then the fixing of the woodruff key and timing gear replacement, as well as swapping in a known set of decent used injectors. And changing back to 15W40 T4 rotella engine oil, for the summer at least.

Each of these steps has lessened, or changed the noise. But it is still there, but in the back ground noise rather then being an overpowering issue. I'm starting to think it may be the wrist pin previously mentioned. But still have to pull the rocker shaft assemblies to check each push rod for straightness.

Fuel mileage has not suffered, in fact I think it has increased slightly....maybe 1/2 to 1 mpg? But this is probably more to do with all the little things I have done, more then just the removal of the M/H spacer.
The following 2 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
bigragu (09-07-2017), mknittle (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 11:52 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
you can upload just what you want, and unlike photobucket, when someone clicks on your pic, they don't have access to your whole album.
mknittle (09-08-2017)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?