1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 10:56 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Another PS pump replacement.

This one should be the last, as I bought it from Chip @ Powersteering.com. What a great guy, knowing how busy he is with all of his rebuilds, he rebuilt me a pump super fast, as I was having a leaking issue with mine. For some odd reason, the Napa pumps I've been buying leak at the case. I guess it's just bad luck on my part...

Oh well.. that will teach me to buy from Chip all the parts needed for the Next truck. Nothing better than actually being able to personally talk to the guy who's doing the work.

Not bad luck but bad parts NAPA sucks pond water!!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:27 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Well NAPA is buying parts from some rebuilder somewhere. They probably have so half-witted monkey slamming those things together with a new re-seal kit. Those tight, outer O-rings are tough to get seated properly...or take a little extra time and effort to get them right.

Glad you finally got a piece that will work properly, and with no headaches.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Well NAPA is buying parts from some rebuilder somewhere. They probably have so half-witted monkey slamming those things together with a new re-seal kit. Those tight, outer O-rings are tough to get seated properly...or take a little extra time and effort to get them right.

Yeah, but the local stores here are pretty bad. if it has moving parts I won't buy it from a NAPA store. And most of the time I have to come up with my own part number or I come home empty handed. Even a 3/8 female rod end. Is too difficult for them.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Another PS pump replacement.

This one should be the last, as I bought it from Chip @ Powersteering.com. What a great guy, knowing how busy he is with all of his rebuilds, he rebuilt me a pump super fast, as I was having a leaking issue with mine. For some odd reason, the Napa pumps I've been buying leak at the case. I guess it's just bad luck on my part...

Oh well.. that will teach me to buy from Chip all the parts needed for the Next truck. Nothing better than actually being able to personally talk to the guy who's doing the work.
What a great site this is.
My sector has been slowly developing a seal leak, and I'm sure going a little low on fluid from time to time hasn't been that kind to the pump. I think I'll figure out a time when I can pull both and send them to Chip, and overhaul the vacuum pump while I'm waiting for the return.

Anybody know where I can get vanes and seals for the vacuum pump?
Old 07-13-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows

Chip is .... by far.... one of the most professional people I've ever had to deal with. When I ordered my pump, he looked up my truck, and for some odd reason, it told him I had hydroboost. When the pump came to me, it had an extra tube for return on it, which wouldn't work on my truck. I called him and asked him what to do, and he said send it back and I'll get you the correct housing (the housing is different, but the pump is the same). I sent it back, and wouldn't you know it, he credited my CCard for the shipping ? I didn't ask him to, he just did it. Now that's a guy who does the right thing. I didn't expect a refund, but he sent it. I realize now he probably didn't make a dime on me now, so I'm going to send him a nice gift thanking him for taking care of me...

BTW.. All of his parts ??? USA or CANADA MADE.... no South America or chinese junk...

Originally Posted by mknittle
Yeah, but the local stores here are pretty bad. if it has moving parts I won't buy it from a NAPA store. .
Think Napa is bad ? Try autozone..... OMG.. when you have to tell the person behind the counter what a part is, and where to find it on their computer look up system, you know you're dealing with someone who has no experience or interest in the automotive field, and it just there for a paycheck. I won't even get into the chinese made crap, so don't even go there..

Originally Posted by j_martin
What a great site this is. ?
yeah, that's why I'm here a couple times a day. None of the real BS that you find elsewhere. You can thank TOP, David and all the other moderators for that, as they won't allow the crapola that you see on other sites.

Thanks Guys !

BTW, J....

Make sure you CALL HIM, and discuss what you're doing. I bet you won't find a more knowledgeable person,with regards to Powersteering, on the planet than him...

Nice guy to talk to..... and he loves dogs....
Old 07-13-2014, 08:33 PM

I haven't seen very much at the NAPA store here that isn't made in china. I guess it depends on who owns the store. Here all the NAPA stores are owned by the same guy for a 50 mile radius he bought out all the competition and closed them down all but Orealy's. They are really good here.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
After working on almost every moving part other than the power steering system on my Black crew cab last winter…

The big stuff included a :
727 4x4 to NV-4500 4x4 swap with A.A. Rag to NV bell/kit and S.B. Clutch
NON I/Ced to Intercooled swap using all 2nd gen parts.
VE Pump re-seal and tune
Both axle re builds, king pins, bearings, u-joints, seals, hubs, brakes
new front and rear driveshaft
Diamond eye 1st gen D/P and T-case pipe pieces / 2nd gen "cat back" hybrid exhaust system

I drove it 1300 miles round trip to the Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle Pa. trouble free and loving the 3.07 gears.
I was averaging well over 20 MPG.
I threw the '85 crew right on the show field complete with the period correct '86 pop up camper.
My daughter and I had a great weekend.
My friend said there is a photo on Facebook, for the Carlisle events show coverage of me drinking a beer, in the shade of the old crew.
Sounds like something I would do.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
After working on almost every moving part other than the power steering system on my Black crew cab last winter.

The big stuff included a :
727 4x4 to NV-4500 4x4 swap with A.A. Rag to NV bell/kit and S.B. Clutch
NON I/Ced to Intercooled swap using all 2nd gen parts.
VE Pump re-seal and tune
Both axle re builds, king pins, bearings, u-joints, seals, hubs, brakes
new front and rear driveshaft
Diamond eye 1st gen D/P and T-case pipe pieces / 2nd gen "cat back" hybrid exhaust system

I drove it 1300 miles round trip to the Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle Pa. trouble free and loving the 3.07 gears.
I was averaging well over 20 MPG.
I threw the '85 crew right on the show field complete with the period correct '86 pop up camper.
My daughter and I had a great weekend.
My friend said there is a photo on Facebook, for the Carlisle events show coverage of me drinking a beer, in the shade of the old crew.
Sounds like something I would do...

Eh...... ehhum.....

No pictures ?.. well, it really never happened....
Old 07-15-2014, 02:51 PM

Eh...... ehhum.....

No pictures ?.. well, it really never happened....
You know me - I can't load pictures, but I can send you some..
Old 07-15-2014, 03:02 PM

You know me - I can't load pictures, but I can send you some..
Send them over, and I'll post them later tonight.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:05 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Name:  crew_zps261c74b0.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  67.1 KB
Old 07-15-2014, 03:33 PM

I love this place.
Getting a little help from your friends across the country.
Thanks PapeCat!

There I am, out of the sun on the showfield enjoying a cold IPA after a long, cold winter working on the old Crew.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:42 PM

I love this place.
Getting a little help from your friends across the country.
Thanks PapeCat!

There I am, out of the sun on the showfield enjoying a cold IPA after a long, cold winter working on the old Crew.
gotta love it.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:01 PM

I just did a bit of poking around under the dash. I was looking at what I have to do to remove the HVAC unit. And trying to stay somewhat clean because I had to take my mom to the doctor.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put the visor on as well as a topper I found that fits. Cleaned it up a little...kind of.
Name:  DSC05397_zpsa9277212.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  134.9 KB

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?