1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 04:52 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I grew up in that area. In a little town called Coffeyville, KS 60 miles north of Tulsa. Really nice people in OK.
Apparently so...

A couple years ago, I sent the brick's seatbelt to these guys..

www.seatbeltplanet.com

A few weeks back, as I leaned forward, the seat inertia stop seemed to give way. IOW, the belt became a free spirit, and wasn't holding me back anymore.

Sent the belt assembly back to them. THey inspected it, found nothing wrong, and are sending it back to me. They charged me nothing.

Good customer service, or good people ? IMO, it's both.

Hopefully any adjustments they made corrected the issue. Will find out next week when UPS drops it off
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 07:36 AM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
I may send the Gauntlet seat belts to them, as they don't always return. I have dozens of other seat belt units, just nothing else in blue.
I will fiddle with them a bit more first and if I can't find an issue, that is good info.. Thanks T-man.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:06 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
I may send the Gauntlet seat belts to them, as they don't always return. I have dozens of other seat belt units, just nothing else in blue.
I will fiddle with them a bit more first and if I can't find an issue, that is good info.. Thanks T-man.
It sure would be nice to have nice fresh seatbelts that work like they are supposed to.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Apparently so...

A couple years ago, I sent the brick's seatbelt to these guys..

www.seatbeltplanet.com

A few weeks back, as I leaned forward, the seat inertia stop seemed to give way. IOW, the belt became a free spirit, and wasn't holding me back anymore.

Sent the belt assembly back to them. THey inspected it, found nothing wrong, and are sending it back to me. They charged me nothing.

Good customer service, or good people ? IMO, it's both.

Hopefully any adjustments they made corrected the issue. Will find out next week when UPS drops it off
Both without good people costumer service goes out the window.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
The belt material was replaced when,I had them work on it originally a few years back. The belt material is oem, and they have tons of colors. Talk to Steve or Mike, and tell them I referred you. They like word of mouth referrals.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:14 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
So I was able to swap the brake arm end on the parking brake cable but there's no boot on the leading end. The left one has one but not the right. What's up with that? Seems like I read about someone making there own boot?
Old 07-07-2017, 09:30 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredbrick
So I was able to swap the brake arm end on the parking brake cable but there's no boot on the leading end. The left one has one but not the right. What's up with that? Seems like I read about someone making there own boot?
Without the boot I would think that the cable would be subject to early failure due to rust from water and road salt. The manufacturer saved 30 cents by not including it. I'd shop elsewhere.

Edwin
Old 07-07-2017, 09:43 PM

In the pics on Rock, of the three right rear cables available, only the Raybestos has a boot and it's pretty small unlike the long bellows type boot on the original.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by bigredbrick
In the pics on Rock, of the three right rear cables available, only the Raybestos has a boot and it's pretty small unlike the long bellows type boot on the original.
I just looked at the pics of the BrakeBest cables for my 89 on O'reilly's. The left one has a boot but the right one doesn't. The right cable also seems to be missing the clip to attach it to the lever.

Could you use the old boot by carefully stretching it over the **** on the end of the cable?

My right side cable is sticking and I need to replace it. I don't know if they can be lubed.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:16 PM

I did a google search for Brake Cable Rubber Boot and found these on Amazon.
Amazon Amazon

There are others listed.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:54 AM

I used several layers of shrink tubing that you use on sealing electrical connections.

It worked for a while, but eventually it popped off due to the stresses of the cable being stretched back and released every day.

Oliver was the one who suggested it. It worked well for me, but again didn't last forever.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:57 AM

That orreillys part looks like a Dorman based on part number and lack of any kind of boot. I doubt that a boot with a hole sized for the cable will stretch enough to fit over the end. The original boot is in pieces and brittle. Maybe a combination of rubber hose and shrink tubing? That "clip" on the brake end of the cable can be removed and installed on the new cable. If I had studied those little pictures I would have got the Raybestos since it has a little boot on it.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
I used several layers of shrink tubing that you use on sealing electrical connections.

It worked for a while, but eventually it popped off due to the stresses of the cable being stretched back and released every day.

Oliver was the one who suggested it. It worked well for me, but again didn't last forever.
Have you tried boat wheel bearing grease? the water proof stuff.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:00 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
A long time ago, on this very topic, I threw out latex tubing as a possibility. The kind used on the old wrist rocket, but a more durable to the outdoors type. Zip tie the ends tight, and you have a flexible, retractable boot.
The following 2 users liked this post by bigragu:
edwinsmith (07-08-2017), mknittle (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 03:46 PM

It's 113* and rising here so all i did was ordered a fan belt.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?