1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 06:28 PM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
For that Ford, I would invest in a decent code reader, then get a Chilton or Haynes manual to assist in fixing. YouTube it if you still need further assistance after the Chilton manual and code reader.

As an example- we bought my son a decent, inexpensive car for his last two years in high school in 2013. It was a 1998 Lexus ES300. We were the second owners. It had 189,000. It leaked oil, needed spark plugs changed, all that stuff. Mechanically, it needed some work, but the interior was immaculate.
One day my son is ahead of me in that Lexus and I'm in my Dodge following, and he runs thru a red light! He immediately called me in a panic to say he had no brakes! When we got home, I plugged in that code reader and with the help of the Chilton manual, it listed a fault in some solenoid I knew nothing about. I didn't know where it was in the engine bay, nothing.
The Chilton manual explained briefly how to check the solenoid for fault, along with pics, but a YouTube video showed exactly where it was in the engine bay. While watching the video, the mechanic on there also said to check on two of these filter screen deals, inside two ports covered by a galley plug. Remove the galley plugs, and clean out the screen filters inside these ports. Upon further reading of the Chilton manual, it said if the screens have debris or get plugged, it may cause a brake failure. So, I replaced the solenoid, and cleaned out those filters just for reassurance.
So, the code reader, the book, and some YouTube helped me fix a problem on a car that I had no clue on how to work on.
No wonder there are so many crashes these days.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
The fact that an electrical problem can cause the brakes to fail doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence. Brakes are an extremely critical system that needs to be a simple as possible. The dual redundancy hydraulic system with a vacuum booster is about a simple as you can get. If either the front or rear wheel systems fails the brake still works. If the vacuum booster fails the brakes still work. If the entire hydraulic system fails the parking brake still works.

Bringing electronics into the picture is asking for trouble. System reliability is inversely proportional to system complexity.

Edwin
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 09:15 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Fixed my floppy mirrors again.

I got tired of running around the truck to adjust the right side mirror so I decided to use the plastic from a milk jug to fix them. The right side need the full treatment with completely replaceing the old plastic part. The left side just required a shim piece to tighten it up. Now I can slam the doors without moving the mirrors. Nice!
Old 06-30-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts
Pulled the fenders to check for cowl cracks, None. Not sure why I am getting water on the P/s floor when water is dumped down the cowl. Leaks at the heaterbox where it meets the kick panel somewhere
Old 07-01-2017, 08:17 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by peckens
Pulled the fenders to check for cowl cracks, None. Not sure why I am getting water on the P/s floor when water is dumped down the cowl. Leaks at the heaterbox where it meets the kick panel somewhere
There should be a drain out the bottom of the heater box for AC condensate and rain water. Leaves and such in the heater box can plug the drain.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Well you can now add "Liar" to your Resume as well as "banned twice" from DTR.
Wow...

Found in 5 hours...

Amazing....thou art.....

mknittle (07-03-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 08:21 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Is there a drain that may be plugged? the water has to go somewhera when things are working right.
I have had old Chevys do that and had to use a welding rod to get the crap out ov the smallish drain hole.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:05 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Piston lift pump spring info

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Is this something I could buy for you and then mail up there? Are they killing you with shipping charges?

Fastenal? Do you have a link to the web page for the spring you need?

Edwin
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I just checked and Fastenal is just down the road for me. About 1.5 miles. I would be glad to go pick up the spring for you and mail it up there.

Edwin
The fastenal spring is SKU # 110166720, .938 (15/16) OD, 2" tall, x .080 wire diameter, but I have found the comparable spring in another manufacturer and will see if I can find a seller for that one locally. That one is Century Compression Spring, C-752 or CR-752.

If not I will PM you Edwin.....I appreciate your willingness to doing that for me!
Old 07-02-2017, 12:07 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Could also be the seal around the HVAC resistor in the cowl. If you pull the glove box out you can see it screwed into the cowl.....perhaps the seal is gone on that and it's leaking in that way?
Old 07-02-2017, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by mknittle
Is there a drain that may be plugged? the water has to go somewhera when things are working right.
I have had old Chevys do that and had to use a welding rod to get the crap out ov the smallish drain hole.
I will try shoving a rod in that drain.

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Could also be the seal around the HVAC resistor in the cowl. If you pull the glove box out you can see it screwed into the cowl.....perhaps the seal is gone on that and it's leaking in that way?
It looks intact but the only way to know for sure is pulling the whole **** thing out.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Finally got the PS 1/8" cab mount welded together and into the donor cab. The rust abatement continues...
Old 07-02-2017, 09:51 PM

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
While changing my oil today I decided to fix the floppy side mirrors that won't hold their position. Followed the advice in the sticky but instead of using pieces from milk jugs I cut out pieces of the oil jug (recycling at its finest &#128077and shimmed them and clamped them back down. Very easy fix and they definitely won't be pushed in while running 65 down the highway
Old 07-02-2017, 10:42 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Created some shade for major brake work tomorrow. Yes my neck is red, from working in the sun too much
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-img_20170702_195604.jpg  
mknittle (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
My passenger side mirror started moving on me because people keep hitting it in parking lots, I will come out and find someone had bumped into it again and again, I also find butt marks across my dually fenders all the time.

I purposely park away from everyone or back into parking spots but when I come out I'll find someone parked next to me.

I opened the cover and tried to tighten the clamping bolts when one of them started to strip,

So I re-tapped the existing M6-1.0 thread out to 1/4-20 and Installed stainless steel socket head bolts also flat and split washers.

Between the clamp and the mirror shaft I used a section of 1/16" neoprene rubber as the friction material tightening the bolts enough for a tight but still movable fit.

I also have a video camera Installed under the passenger side mirror to cover my blind side and connected to my onboard video system.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Lane; 07-03-2017 at 05:50 PM. Reason: updated information :)
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim Lane:
edwinsmith (07-03-2017), mknittle (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
My passenger side mirror started moving on me because people keep hitting it in parking lots, I will come out and find someone had bumped into it again and again, I also find butt marks across my dually fenders all the time.

I purposely park away from everyone or back into parking spots but when I come out I'll find someone parked next to me.

I opened the cover and tried to tighten the clamping bolts when one of them started to strip,

So I re-tapped the bracket out to 1/4-20 and Installed stainless steel socket head bolts also flat and split washers.

Between the clamp and the mirror shaft I used a section of 1/16" neoprene rubber as the friction material tightening the bolts enough for a tight but still movable fit.

I also have a video camera Installed under the passenger side mirror to cover my blind side and connected to my onboard video system.

Jim
I have had big dent in my bed since I have owned mine. Its not uncommon for me to find different paint on my truck because of it.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?