1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed my rear slider window. Now I will paint and install the old flatbed and liftgate. Getting close.
Mike
Old 07-03-2014, 06:26 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by aicomp
Hi,
Try cleaning it off and using POR 15. I love the stuff. Just be sure to wear gloves, because when it dries it will be there until the skin comes off, Lol.
I use it on all my frames. Just make sure to use only where the sun does not hit it. Underneath is great.
Mike
Thanks Mike,

Appreciate the tip, but I think I've found something I've wanted to try for a while now. It's a two part epoxy paint used for under water applications. My local Sherwin Williams dealer sells it, and it's more forgiving and a lot less expensive than POR15. You can make just what you want out of the gallons, vs using a 1/2 pint at a time, as long as you make sure your mixing ratio is right ....They swear by it, and say their commercial customers do as well.

1 to 1 ratio, btw.

I figured I'd give this a shot, and if it doesn't work..... then I'll let the truck rot away, and buy another from out west again...

BTW(2)

Thanks for that welding site. Can't wait to start watching those videos..
Old 07-03-2014, 11:14 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
How in the world did you know that I'm a peanut butter fan ???

Actually, I by the all natural peanut butter from Costco. It's a little less tasty, and you have to mix it with a blender / mixer, and then put it in the fridge, otherwise you cannot eat it.... you'd have to drink it.

Much healthier for you, from what I understand, but not quite as tasty...
My mom buys the all natural stuff too. First time I was at her house and went to make a PBJ I poured the oil off the top of the peanut butter! She was none too happy with me..
There's a place sorta kinda on my way to the jeep JY that has a grinder and makes fresh PB. The honey roasted peanuts make durned good PB. Next time I'm headed up that way I'll PM you for your mailing address and send you some!
BTW: whatever you're doing to your truck is working. Yours has WAYYYY less brown dandruff than mine...
Old 07-04-2014, 01:23 AM

Thanks Mike,

Appreciate the tip, but I think I've found something I've wanted to try for a while now. It's a two part epoxy paint used for under water applications. My local Sherwin Williams dealer sells it, and it's more forgiving and a lot less expensive than POR15. You can make just what you want out of the gallons, vs using a 1/2 pint at a time, as long as you make sure your mixing ratio is right ....They swear by it, and say their commercial customers do as well.

1 to 1 ratio, btw.

I figured I'd give this a shot, and if it doesn't work..... then I'll let the truck rot away, and buy another from out west again...

BTW(2)

Thanks for that welding site. Can't wait to start watching those videos..
Your welcome. What is the name of that product? I might give it a try on a project or two. POR15 is very expensive.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-04-2014, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by aicomp
Your welcome. What is the name of that product? I might give it a try on a project or two. POR15 is very expensive.
Thanks,
Mike
After Grinding, I use a product called Jasco Prep and prime. Actually, I use the stuff all the time on many different projects. It's a Phosphoric Acid application that takes metal with rust, converts it to a non aggressive form of iron phosphate or oxide, and makes the surface ready for paint. The gallons have been recently discontinued, so I don't know what's available anymore.

http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=103&prodid=221

The stuff from sherwin is called Macropoxy 646 which is designed again, for use in salt or fresh water.

http://protective.sherwin-williams.c...7:product-6843

Here's the Data SHeet:

http://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPDF...prodno=B58W610

Originally Posted by MrFusion
BTW: whatever you're doing to your truck is working. Yours has WAYYYY less brown dandruff than mine...
What I'm doing is lying on my back every 3 years, scraping, grinding, wire wheeling, spraying with Phospohoric acid, priming and painting.

Be careful about how much rust you get under there. Even with my truck being a "west coast vehicle", it still has some rust on the frame, especially behind the rear wheels at the spring hangers. These truck are notorious for rotting frames, and spring hangers, behind fuel tanks, and a few other places are it's focal points.

Yes... I'll be dropping the tank again to get behind there.. Just got to run the fuel out of it first (almost completely that its).
Old 07-04-2014, 09:30 AM

After Grinding, I use a product called Jasco Prep and prime. Actually, I use the stuff all the time on many different projects. It's a Phosphoric Acid application that takes metal with rust, converts it to a non aggressive form of iron phosphate or oxide, and makes the surface ready for paint. The gallons have been recently discontinued, so I don't know what's available anymore.

http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=103&prodid=221

The stuff from sherwin is called Macropoxy 646 which is designed again, for use in salt or fresh water.

http://protective.sherwin-williams.c...7:product-6843

Here's the Data SHeet:

http://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPDF...prodno=B58W610

What I'm doing is lying on my back every 3 years, scraping, grinding, wire wheeling, spraying with Phospohoric acid, priming and painting.

Be careful about how much rust you get under there. Even with my truck being a "west coast vehicle", it still has some rust on the frame, especially behind the rear wheels at the spring hangers. These truck are notorious for rotting frames, and spring hangers, behind fuel tanks, and a few other places are it's focal points.

Yes... I'll be dropping the tank again to get behind there.. Just got to run the fuel out of it first (almost completely that its).
Thanks for that info. I also use the Jasco. Works great. I will get some of the Sherwin Williams product and try it. Sounds real good.
Mike
Old 07-04-2014, 11:48 AM

The Jasco works really well, but it looks like I'll be switching to another product called Ospho
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ospho&tbm=shop

Simply because Jasco isn't selling gallons any longer. I really liked using it on my spinach salads, as it gave it that zing that made the salad "Oh, so good...."

For those who don't know Jasco, after grinding, you spray, brush or whatever the product on, and let it sit overnight. Rust areas are turned black, and the white powdery stuff is a residue left behind when it's applied to painted areas not cleaned properly. It's etching the paint for proper adhesion of the new paint, but you have to wipe the powder off to get a good bond. Utilizing a water dampened rag, followed by a dry rag are the way to go, from what I gather. YOU MUST WEAR A RESPIRATOR designed for chemical sprays, and protective eyewear and clothing. I use a pump sprayer (Bleach type) and spray it liberally everywhere under there. It gets into cracks and crevices you can't normally get into.

Name:  0704140903a_zps03ef7f81.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  123.3 KB

The paint applied. Not pretty, but hopefully I get more than 3 years of protection. RESPIRATOR also required.

Name:  0704141123_zps9e2cc9d9.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  111.6 KB

Name:  0704141122_zps3a5269c0.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  132.3 KB
Old 07-04-2014, 01:31 PM

Looks Great NJTman.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:27 PM

Aww ur no fun NJT Man... Paint fumes make the peanut butter more amusing!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:30 PM

Received 451 Likes on 343 Posts
Fix my voltage regulator ground. Remove a bunch of abandoned wiring and started fixing my trailer wiring. Remove the old leaking saddle bag tanks I never used. Had about 12 gallons of who knows how old died diesel in them.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:41 PM

I wired up my reverse lights to my NV4500 and wire loomed the harness from the bell housing to the reverse switch, 4x4 switch, and VSS. I also primed the trans tunnel hole and the tunnel cover. I drove the truck around my driveway twice. Hit 2nd gear! Also changed oil in the wife's RAV and my Jeep.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:49 PM

Today I fabricated the frame for my clubcab rear bench. I will make the back tomorrow and get it ready for my buddy who does my upholstery.
Mike
Old 07-05-2014, 01:02 AM

I got the 366 governor spring I ordered from Hungry Diesel installed and turned the full power screw in a bit. Should've done that mod first. It's like driving a different truck.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:03 AM

Received 368 Likes on 305 Posts
Worked some more on my axle-swap/lift/shackle-flip project.....

http://ramchargercentral.com/axle-te...stcoast-style/
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-20140704_214424_resized.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-20140704_203630_resized.jpg  
Old 07-05-2014, 04:18 PM

Received 451 Likes on 343 Posts
Just about finished the trailer wiring. All I have left to install is the 7 pin socket.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?