1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 08:35 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
You live in the rust belt?
Yep! And so does my truck!
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 12:09 AM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Originally Posted by peckens
Overhauled my rear brakes and all the brake lines. Truck stops way better now. Especially since the passenger side didnt even work. I am going to have to try loosening the star adjusters because after my test drive both drums were smoking. Uhg...
It's natural for the drums to get hot. If there was any oil or grease on them from the brake job they would smoke. Once the oil/grease is boiled off they'll stop smoking. It doesn't mean they are dragging.

The last job I did on mine I had dome brake cleaner on the shoes. After the first few stops they smoked like hell but that was gone soon as the cleaner evaporated. They stop fine now.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:39 PM

Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
It's natural for the drums to get hot. If there was any oil or grease on them from the brake job they would smoke. Once the oil/grease is boiled off they'll stop smoking. It doesn't mean they are dragging.

The last job I did on mine I had dome brake cleaner on the shoes. After the first few stops they smoked like hell but that was gone soon as the cleaner evaporated. They stop fine now.
Good to know. I drive it again and wont be so aggressive on the brakes next time. I havent had rear brakes the whole time I have owned this truck apparently cant get over how well it stops.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by peckens
Good to know. I drive it again and wont be so aggressive on the brakes next time. I haven't had rear brakes the whole time I have owned this truck apparently cant get over how well it stops.
When I first got my truck the brakes were crap. I took off the rear drums and I found that the left side was completely gutted. No shoes. The brake line had a nail in it to keep the fluid from leaking out. I bought a new brake cylinder and shoes etc... for both sides and I had good brakes. A good upgrade for the one ton is 3" wide shoes and 1-1/8 cylinders.

Edwin
Old 05-29-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Ordered some injectors from Mark at Dieseltuff, great service! Now I have to finally get the piston pump installed when I install the injectors, plus, a little pump adjusting until I get the VGT installed.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:57 AM

Received 101 Likes on 72 Posts
When I first got my truck the brakes were crap. I took off the rear drums and I found that the left side was completely gutted. No shoes. The brake line had a nail in it to keep the fluid from leaking out. I bought a new brake cylinder and shoes etc... for both sides and I had good brakes. A good upgrade for the one ton is 3" wide shoes and 1-1/8 cylinders.

Edwin
I did the one ton upgrade actually. The P/S looked new with a factory drum, D/s was about 1/3 with a replacement drum. Both sides had already been upgraded to 3" shoes. However, neither side had the drums turned before switching from the 2.5" shoes.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Edwin
Hey Edwin,
My daughter and I were in Santa Ana last night on a job,
We stopped at Norm's for dinner afterwards,

Wished you could have joined us it was an exciting night, we sat next to a working lady at the counter then a homeless lady I think it was a lady begging for money for a bus fare after they kicked her out she came back to curse them out, thought she might get violent, got dinner and a show.
Jim
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Replaced the windshield wiper motor on the 91. Lastly, I cleaned out the evaporator box section of the rats nest of leaves and twigs, then installed a Beckson clear view deck plate.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Hey Edwin,
My daughter and I were in Santa Ana last night on a job,
We stopped at Norm's for dinner afterwards,

Wished you could have joined us it was an exciting night, we sat next to a working lady at the counter then a homeless lady I think it was a lady begging for money for a bus fare after they kicked her out she came back to curse them out, thought she might get violent, got dinner and a show.
Jim
Jim: Was it the Norms on 17th and Main? I used to live about 5 blocks from there. Now we're down by Warner and Fairview. I'll PM you my phone number for the next time you're in the area. I would love to have dinner with you.

Edwin
Old 05-30-2017, 07:52 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Replaced the windshield wiper motor on the 91. Lastly, I cleaned out the evaporator box section of the rats nest of leaves and twigs, then installed a Beckson clear view deck plate.

Both mods well worth the time!

If you got the time pull the wiper towers themselves and oil them up. Mine literally turned a million times easier once free'dup.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
I removed my M/H timing spacer today, and it "seems" to be less rattle then before. Also the motor seems to be running smoother as well.

As others have suggested I plan to remove the IP nut and check the woodruff key and make sure it's still lined up properly. Perhaps it sheared then got hung up on the shaft causing way too much timing? Also at the same time check the gear for cracks.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:49 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I removed my M/H timing spacer today, and it "seems" to be less rattle then before. Also the motor seems to be running smoother as well.

As others have suggested I plan to remove the IP nut and check the woodruff key and make sure it's still lined up properly. Perhaps it sheared then got hung up on the shaft causing way too much timing? Also at the same time check the gear for cracks.
So, you permanently saying bye bye to that spacer? Was it easy to remove? I tried removing mine just a couple weeks ago, and that bolt closest to the front of the engine, just like the factory one, is seized up, and I already rounded off the hex. So the spacer stayed. I was just going to remove it for a short while to see if it affected that KSB function
Old 05-30-2017, 10:26 PM

So, you permanently saying bye bye to that spacer? Was it easy to remove? I tried removing mine just a couple weeks ago, and that bolt closest to the front of the engine, just like the factory one, is seized up, and I already rounded off the hex. So the spacer stayed. I was just going to remove it for a short while to see if it affected that KSB function
Can you get some pliers or vise-grips on it? I wouldn't let that stop me. If push came to shove I'd break the head off and then replace the screw after I got it out of the pump. I'd replace it with the proper Torx head screw though. They're much harder to strip.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:54 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Not sure if I will put the spacer back or not....will have to see what the final result of the noise turns out to be.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:01 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Jim: Was it the Norms on 17th and Main? I used to live about 5 blocks from there. Now we're down by Warner and Fairview. I'll PM you my phone number for the next time you're in the area. I would love to have dinner with you.

Edwin
Edwin,
Yes it was the Norms on 17th and Main, it looked pretty nice from the outside, my daughter likes to sit at the counter so we get to see some pretty unusual looking weirdoes as they come in.
I do not get to Santa Ana to often though I do get to Fullerton Airport quite a bit, most of my travels are around the San Gabriel Valley.
I do like to visit Cummins Pacific in Irvine on occasion.
Because we are always on the move, we eat out often, we like to visit Norms, In-N-Out,
The Hat, Sonic for a snack on the way home.
Jim

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?