1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 08:38 PM
BHD

Received 418 Likes on 279 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
I managed to step in doggie doo 5 times this morning. Then I broke the hokie plastic rod ends on my throttle linkage.
Nailed by land mines? My dog lays them very strategically.

You upgrading to the 2nd gen ends on the throttle link?
Old 04-11-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
I finally got the dually fenders sanded, painted, lights installed and back on the truck. Just in time for vacation trip back to KS this Saturday. HOORAY! The paint job is finally done after 12 years! (Don't ask.)
The following 2 users liked this post by edwinsmith:
mknittle (04-11-2017), thrashingcows (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 06:08 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
We have An Old dog here that makes booby traps I step in it so often my wife bought me this patch for my hat.

Well, I am impressed, although your dog needs to go on a diet, which might help with your landmine issue.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-mknittles-dog.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
I got some more welding/rust repair done on the replacement cab.
mknittle (04-12-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 07:06 PM

I lubed the front suspension. Then I checked out the grid heater temp sensor wiring to see why my WTS light keeps flashing. No problem found in the wiring or the thermistor. BTW here's a link to a section on Ram Diesel forum on how to troubleshoot the grid heater system. Ram Diesel Manifold Heater Problems

Last night I took the wife to Sonic for ice cream and when we left I let the truck roll into the wall and cracked my brand new grille. The crack doesn't show badly but it scraped the paint on the fender. Getting the new bumper put on next week.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:32 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Bummer man! That's why we can't have nice things.
mknittle (04-14-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:00 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
I changed the oil in the truck today, ran it for about 11K km's with the Rotella T6 synthetic. The motor had been rattling really bad the last month or two and I thought perhaps my injectors were on their way out, or the large springs inside the IP had broken. I checked the mainshaft on the IP for "in/out" play....if the springs break you can push/pull the mainshaft pretty easily...mine was secure. So that left me thinking bad injectors.

But after changing the oil and filter today it's nice and quiet again....well as quiet as these motors can be. Wonder if the oil filter was plugging up, and I was lacking a bit of oil pressure, or perhaps the interval for changing oil had gone too long?
Old 04-14-2017, 11:17 AM

Still have the filter? Cut the casing off and give a looksey.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I lubed the front suspension. Then I checked out the grid heater temp sensor wiring to see why my WTS light keeps flashing. No problem found in the wiring or the thermistor. BTW here's a link to a section on Ram Diesel forum on how to troubleshoot the grid heater system. Ram Diesel Manifold Heater Problems

Last night I took the wife to Sonic for ice cream and when we left I let the truck roll into the wall and cracked my brand new grille. The crack doesn't show badly but it scraped the paint on the fender. Getting the new bumper put on next week.
As, crap... Man! That sucks.

Well, at least you have a good outlook on it...
mknittle (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
As, crap... Man! That sucks.

Well, at least you have a good outlook on it...
I figure I've done all the hard work and a new grille doesn't cost that much. I can swap it out if it gets to bugging me to much. I'm most worried about the paint. Does anyone know of a good source for touch-up paint? I'm also considering repainting the entire fender over again since I have the paint and the fender got bunged up by dropping it right after it was painted last August.

Edwin
Old 04-15-2017, 09:08 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Finally get to contribute to this tread. Last night I installed a power steering cooler up from in front of the radiator. I am prepping to do a hydroboost conversion, just awaiting the parts from Tallon Hydraulics. I got tired of MKnittle putting the screws to me to get this done, LOL, so after reading all the positive feedback from this mod, I decided to pull the plug and get it done.
If ever any of you decide to just buy a pre made kit for HB, call Butch over at Tallon Hydraulics. I read about all the positive feedback on his knowledge and assistance from others that have done this mod. Great guy to deal with. He has a kit, specifically made for a 1stGen. He didn't use to, but after getting a bunch of requests he decided to put together first rate parts for a true bolt in HB system. The hole pattern for the mount plate is made to fall into place as the OEM's, and the brake pedal push rod is already sized accordingly.
He did suggest that I add an auxiliary cooler, and his system is designed to just tee into the factory return line.
The parts should be in by this coming Wednesday or so. Will post the results of the install when completed.
The following 2 users liked this post by bigragu:
mknittle (04-15-2017), thrashingcows (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Finally get to contribute to this tread. Last night I installed a power steering cooler up from in front of the radiator. I am prepping to do a hydroboost conversion, just awaiting the parts from Tallon Hydraulics. I got tired of MKnittle putting the screws to me to get this done, LOL, so after reading all the positive feedback from this mod, I decided to pull the plug and get it done.
If ever any of you decide to just buy a pre made kit for HB, call Butch over at Tallon Hydraulics. I read about all the positive feedback on his knowledge and assistance from others that have done this mod. Great guy to deal with. He has a kit, specifically made for a 1stGen. He didn't use to, but after getting a bunch of requests he decided to put together first rate parts for a true bolt in HB system. The hole pattern for the mount plate is made to fall into place as the OEM's, and the brake pedal push rod is already sized accordingly.
He did suggest that I add an auxiliary cooler, and his system is designed to just tee into the factory return line.
The parts should be in by this coming Wednesday or so. Will post the results of the install when completed.
Pictures!!!
That seems like a good way to go if you don't have a bunch of time or aren't a parts searching addict. I am glad somebody came up with a bolt on kit so more of us can have better brakes.
thrashingcows (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 11:00 AM

Pictures!!!
That seems like a good way to go if you don't have a bunch of time or aren't a parts searching addict. I am glad somebody came up with a bolt on kit so more of us can have better brakes.
Nice stuff, eh ?

http://www.tallonhydraulics.com/stor...ex&cPath=54_60
mknittle (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 06:01 PM

When the brick broke down because of that fuel filter issue, I saved it for inspection.

Clean as a whistle, so I found out today. Still don't know what happened that day or the previous episode

Usps dropped off some wire today as well
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-0415171847-1-800x777.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-0415171849-1-768x838.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-0415170706a-1-800x450.jpg  
Old 04-16-2017, 12:28 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Pictures!!!
Parts searching addict, I am. But, I have my limitations, and hydraulic type fittings I am weak at. Not too proud to admit it, either. In fact, that's the main reason I haven't already done this mod, as my brakes suck. I've done all the upgrades, done every type of fluid bleeding procedure outlined here, and although I know my lines are free of air, I want brakes that'll make me NEED to wear my seat belt, and possibly a football helmet.
Tallon did reccomend I install a fluid cooler, so I ordered a Derale cooler, and mounted it in front of the radiator, just underneath the black flap that mounts on top, to direct better airflow thru the radiator. I've got a feeling I mounted it too high, as I spent all day today and 4 hours yesterday evening trying to bleed the PS pump, and I can't get it to take. What ends up happening, is bubbly vomit consistency type becomes of my fluid, and pushes past the lid, oozing out. Did all the procedures per the FSM, spent countless hours turning that steering wheel back and forth with the engine off, and front tires off of the ground.

I eventually turn the engine on, after I see that the fluid amount holds steady inside the reservoir. Then I turn the wheels back and forth, slowly, and after about 15 cycles it frees up, like my power steering is good to go. But when I look at the reservoir, that junk is just oozing out the cap. Then after about 15 minutes I check to see if the power steering freed up, but it is still tight. At a loss. I've bled these things before, when I replaced my pump in another first gen, and never had a problem.
I even went as far as buying and replacing the PS reservoir cap, thinking I was drawing in air thru the cap.
Any ideas, fellas?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?