1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 06:32 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel402004
Glad you got going there. Thoughts on the "double dosing" of PS: I had a near gelling (or icing) incident recently(-20 F) with dubious #2 and plenty of PS. First time ever in the 20+yrs of these rigs in extreme cold conditions. This got me to researching and reading about winter effects on diesel, and reading, and reading etc.
One of the huh? things I read was that a heavier dose of anti-gel can actually raise the cfpp--cold filter pour point--and actually cause gelling. It seems that most "winter blends" have a cfpp of -20 c to -40 c and adding PS can raise it. Or adding too much anti-gel to normal #2 can cause gelling itself. Also of note is that once gelled fuel never completly "ungells" in the filter element thus being restricted and more prone to re-gelling.
Another scenario is water in fuel is different then gelling, but the ice crystals can contribute to gelling, or cause restriction in the filter/lp area too. (I actually think this was my issue). Just some things to ponder....
No offense to you or your reading or experiences. I mean this sincerely.

Feel free to reply back with links to your research so I can read, read and more reading for myself.

In the meantime.

I have a good friend who is a big rig diesel mechanic. Rarely works on class 3 or smaller trucks. When I broke down, he's the one who advised me of doubling the amount of PS white in my dodge. He said that when the temps get down into the single digits, this is what he has always done. Since he sees Peterbuilts, freighliners, Mack, international, and all the other big trucks in his shop, year after year, after year under a multitude of different issues, some freezing up, I trust his judgement. Until his advice proves otherwise, I'll do what he says. He has more diesel knowledge in his fingernail grease than I do over my entire entity.

So, that's what I'm doing, until proven otherwise.for your thoughts.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:21 AM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
No offense to you or your reading or experiences. I mean this sincerely.

Feel free to reply back with links to your research so I can read, read and more reading for myself.

In the meantime.

I have a good friend who is a big rig diesel mechanic. Rarely works on class 3 or smaller trucks. When I broke down, he's the one who advised me of doubling the amount of PS white in my dodge. He said that when the temps get down into the single digits, this is what he has always done. Since he sees Peterbuilts, freighliners, Mack, international, and all the other big trucks in his shop, year after year, after year under a multitude of different issues, some freezing up, I trust his judgement. Until his advice proves otherwise, I'll do what he says. He has more diesel knowledge in his fingernail grease than I do over my entire entity.

So, that's what I'm doing, until proven otherwise.for your thoughts.
do y'all just not have winter blend at the stations up your way? all we run in the winter is winter blend. most, if not all, stations have a chart on the pumps that say what % of blend they are running and for what temps its safe for. sure mileage decreases, but don't have an issue with gelling and don't use additive.

this seems to be an issue on the boards every winter season. maybe we need a seasonal sticky on "how to avoid fuel gelling"
Old 01-13-2017, 03:01 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by j.fonder

this seems to be an issue on the boards every winter season. maybe we need a seasonal sticky on "how to avoid fuel gelling"

...and in a couple months we will start to see the questions about why the AC is not working properly.....
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I just went and installed new tires on the front of my truck.

2) Michelin LT215/85R16's Discovers (new name) paid $416,39 installed.

BTW Yes I do know about mounting 2 new tires on the drive axle but that would be dangerous on duals, the new tire would have a larger diameter than the old one and you would have a smaller footprint.

I use my AC almost all year long here in SoCAL if not for the heat, you also need it to clear your windows.

Jim
Old 01-13-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
I just went and installed new tires on the front of my truck.

2) Michelin LT215/85R16's Discovers (new name) paid $416,39 installed.

BTW Yes I do know about mounting 2 new tires on the drive axle but that would be dangerous on duals, the new tire would have a larger diameter than the old one and you would have a smaller footprint.

I use my AC almost all year long here in SoCAL if not for the heat, you also need it to clear your windows.

Jim

Our work trucks get new dual tires as a pair, never just one. Company will do one side only if needed but not just a single dual tire. I agree with your placement.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:25 PM

Today just before sunset I made one of the Bosch VE manual kill nails that holds the pump in De Fuel. I made it out of some thick high strength wire though instead of a 16 Penny nail.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:05 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
...and in a couple months we will start to see the questions about why the AC is not working properly.....

that reminds me.....I've had my Uncle's truck over a year now...one of these days I've gotta see if the AC works...
Old 01-14-2017, 04:39 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
That is a nice looking trailer,
Are there many people that camp at Salton Sea?
I used to camp with my family in our new camper back in the early 1960's, we used to stay at Tin Can Beach named for obvious reasons on the side with the railroad tracks and the 100 car freight trains, we would also camp the Anza Borrego Desert and practice shooting.

Are there still any active military bases out there? At night we would be at camp under the stars when the ground started rumbling as probably 15-20 B-52's would fly overhead all in formation, probably practicing at Chocolate Mountain Gunnery Range, we would also see jet fighters flying by, it was really quite impressive.

Originally Posted by 1320Fastback
Fired up the 92 and used her to pull our trailer out to the desert.
Camping on the west side of the Salton Sea.

First time I towed up and over Palomar Mountain and it didn't do too bad at all. Got into 3rd and held it there until the very top.

1STGENFARMBOY (01-15-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 09:58 AM

Thanks, it's pretty busy all over now days but we tend to go on off weekends or the weekend after a major holiday weekend.

I believe the Chocolate Mountains are still a live fire range, aka real bombs.

We tend to stay in the Anza area riding at Superstition Mountain, Plaster City, Painted Gourge, Octillio Wells, Pole line, North Marina Drive, Truckhaven Hills. At Superstition Mountain there is a live fire range but the bombs they drop are inert, they haven't ever dropped live rounds there reportedly. There is a old tank there that they shoot up and it's pretty fun to watch from a far as helis strafe it with Gatling guns and f18s scream overhead and drop dummy rounds on it, not that you can see the bombs but can see the impact.

Another cool thing about Superstition Mountain is it's right next to El Centro NAS which is home to the Blue Angeles when they are not at a show so quite often you get to see them perform while sitting in camp drinking a brew or 12.
j.fonder (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 07:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by j.fonder
do y'all just not have winter blend at the stations up your way? all we run in the winter is winter blend. most, if not all, stations have a chart on the pumps that say what % of blend they are running and for what temps its safe for. sure mileage decreases, but don't have an issue with gelling and don't use additive.

Yep. Winter blends start in montucky bout sep. But not all stations post and its amazing how many folks have come in the store with issues the in last month's arctic blast. 20+ years and I had my first issue. Thats why I decided to do some research and was surprised at the complexity. The ULSD has added a new wrinkle
Old 01-15-2017, 12:30 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Changed my little G2 fram fuel filter...between tank and lift pump today. Needed to do it for some time now but the temps have been so cold I wasn't going to lay under the truck to change it. The temps have warmed up significantly last day or so.....up to -3*C from -30*C. Truck sure has a lot more pep again....

Also recently figured out how to get my transfer case out of gear. I had been having a heck of a time trying to disengage it. Most times I would have to come to a stop, then straddle the shifter and hammer on it with my open palm until it shifted out of 4H. I tried all kinds of different methods and finally found the one that works for my junk.....get my road speed up to 60Kph, pull the tranny into neutral (nv4500), foot off throttle and then a slight "whack" on the 4wd shifter and it pops into 2H.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:09 AM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
I know this is not the best when you go in and out often, but mine slips out of 4x4 if I unlock one of the wheels, but is hard to go to 2wd if I don't.

what you are doing is what BC ( David ) does at the end of a 1/4 mile run on the track, and I have done it as well.
thrashingcows (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 11:39 AM

Changed the injectors for some new ones I bought on a Black Friday sale.

Need to go to Napa and see if I can find the o rings that seal against the injector in the little retainer cups as they didn't come with the new cups? All well, if anything hazard fraught o ring kit should have them and only be a few dollars.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
I can't believe it took me 3 years to do this mod. I don't think this issue gets enough talk when it comes to new 1st gen owners asking what to do to their trucks first. I'm guilty of never recommending this, but i definitely will from now on!

Name:  6F955D59-407D-41F9-BC8E-01B3A499EEF0_zpsxxxwyhsu.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  173.3 KB
Name:  57D1266B-DE37-4490-8067-C3EA8DD3201E_zpsr2im8ej0.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  213.8 KB
Name:  5C0B0052-EFEB-4C40-8BE0-126E6AF3505A_zpsju7nnlou.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  173.6 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by j.fonder:
1320Fastback (01-15-2017), NJTman (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
I put the clear cap on mine, which allows me to see in there when stuff gets inside without actually removing the plug. Kind of cool to leaves and whirly birds flying about on a windy day...
j.fonder (01-16-2017)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?