1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:33 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
[QUOTE=NJTman;3238855]Oh yeah,

Can't forget the shot of staring at this for 1.5 hours

QUOTE]
that's no fun.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:58 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
that's no fun.
Especially since initially it was a nightmare getting it done in the first place.

It started at post #30

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t316377p2.html
Old 06-05-2014, 08:53 AM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
WOW!
I have seen some leaking VE pumps, but that is a garden hose like flow if fuel…
I remember the VE pump rebuild fiasco from a few months ago.
Best of luck getting that dealt with smoothly.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Where on the pump is it leaking from?
How did you notice the leak, truck sounds fine?
Old 06-05-2014, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Where on the pump is it leaking from?
How did you notice the leak, truck sounds fine?
I don't know where it's leaking from. The video should give some indication, but being frustrated as I was / am, I didn't bother to look.

I was descending down the GSP Bridge, heading north, when the truck wouldn't react to my foot pedal motions. I realized something was a miss, so I drifted to the right shoulder. After rolling along for about 30 seconds @ 10 mph, I got behind some cones left by a former road crew. It was there, I waited to be run down by a passing motorist, while they talked on their phone, did their hair, nails and makeup, finishing their coffee and bagel, and using a portable "on the road & in the car" urinal bag.

When I looked in my rear view, I saw all the diesel fuel.

BTW, The left side of my truck never looked so shiny.....
Old 06-05-2014, 11:21 AM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
That's whatcha git fer livin' Jersey!!
Seriously though that sucks. I used to date this girl who lived in Yardley PA and whose parents went camping every summer in Cape May. I had a 1995 CTD 2500 at the time and kind of became the haul vehicle. I STILL have nightmares about the Garden State Parkway. BTW...your wife doesn't look too happy in the pic.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I would have hid behind my truck and tossed the traffic cones at the cars as they went by to get their attention.

Jim
Old 06-05-2014, 03:49 PM

Well,

Truck is fixed, and I guess it wasn't much of a big deal. The VE pump rebuilder warranteed the job (as far as I know) and told me to come get it tomorrow, as they want to make sure all is well.

You can't see it in the diagrams, but on the top hat section of the pump there is what is called a "blocked off drill passage" that from the factory had a small ball jammed into it to stop fuel from blowing out. It's a drill passage to allow the machinist to drill the opposite side of the top hat for whatever mechanical reason.

The ball pushed itself out.

The shop foreman said that Bosch makes a "update kit" for it, should any issues ever arise.

Remove the top hat, drill and tap the hole, install hex plug and put it back together. he said it isn't something that normally you mess with in a rebuild, as they normally don't leak.

Mine just happened to pop itself out while coasting down the other side of the driscoll bridge.

Oh well, live and learn.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by MrFusion
That's whatcha git fer livin' Jersey!!
YOU're so right !!!! I hate it here, but the ball and chain wants to stay for a while...

I STILL have nightmares about the Garden State Parkway.
Rightfully so, Hundreds die annually just to prove your point.

BTW...your wife doesn't look too happy in the pic.
Yeah, So ? That is her standard operating procedure, and looks completely normal to me.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Well,

Truck is fixed, and I guess it wasn't much of a big deal. The VE pump rebuilder warranteed the job (as far as I know) and told me to come get it tomorrow, as they want to make sure all is well.

You can't see it in the diagrams, but on the top hat section of the pump there is what is called a "blocked off drill passage" that from the factory had a small ball jammed into it to stop fuel from blowing out. It's a drill passage to allow the machinist to drill the opposite side of the top hat for whatever mechanical reason.

The ball pushed itself out.

Carburetors are full of passages like that. It probably connects two passages that are perpendicular to it.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
The ***** block the end of the bores for the afc lever's pivot pin. If I recall correctly, you have to remove the afc lever to replace the o-ring that seals the afc pin (the little one that slides horizontally, and rides on the big one attached to the diaphragm). It seems like a lot of guys re-use the *****. I drilled out the top cover & used the sheetmetal plugs in the kit to cap the bore, (with loc-tite), and older covers used screws with copper gaskets under the head. I didn't know there was a bosch kit to retrofit a threaded plug. If you can score a part number for the kit, that would be cool.

At least they honored their warranty.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:51 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Alec
The ***** block the end of the bores for the afc lever's pivot pin. If I recall correctly, you have to remove the afc lever to replace the o-ring that seals the afc pin (the little one that slides horizontally, and rides on the big one attached to the diaphragm). It seems like a lot of guys re-use the *****. I drilled out the top cover & used the sheetmetal plugs in the kit to cap the bore, (with loc-tite), and older covers used screws with copper gaskets under the head. I didn't know there was a bosch kit to retrofit a threaded plug. If you can score a part number for the kit, that would be cool.

As soon as I saw your vid T-man I knew exactly what happened...Alec has it spot on.

The Non-IC pumps are the ones with the screws. The later IC ones went to the ball pressed into the case.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Alec

Yes, they did, and when I picked it up, they said if I had any other problems, to let them know.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:36 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
YOU're so right !!!! I hate it here, but the ball and chain wants to stay for a while...

Rightfully so, Hundreds die annually just to prove your point.

Yeah, So ? That is her standard operating procedure, and looks completely normal to me.
Good deal that you got it fixed! The last time I drove back from Cape May on the GSP we were in heavy traffic going about 65 when 6 ghettoed out cars and suv's (escalade type things with 22's on them) came flying up the right hand shoulder. They had to have been doing 85-90 per. 10 minutes later the GSP became a parking lot. Then all of the emergency vehicles started coming up the shoulders and through the middle of the stopped traffic. I couldn't believe it when I saw 5 or 6 cars tailing each of the ambulances and fire trucks thru the stopped traffic. None of them looked like emergency responders either. Sat there for 2 or 3 hours then the cops opened the gates to the south bound lanes and diverted us all back south. I had studied my road atlas (the days before GPS) and found a looong but scenic route back to PA. I DID actually meet a nice person from NJ though. We had to cross this long narrow bridge with a toll booth smack in the middle of it. The toll booth operator was this old guy that was pleasant and gave us a biscuit for the dog we had in the truck. Said he kept a box in the booth 'cause he liked dogs. That was kinda cool.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 368 Likes on 305 Posts
Picked up my new (to me) camper

Also got my 33's on. I love tires that have nearly 4000# capacity
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-20140606_193630_resized.jpg  

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?