1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 09:29 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Looks good, JF. The offsets on the piping did come out perfect, huh!
I'm curious what you did to support the top of the core support, where the hood latch goes thru. Did you tie some type of steel from the top support back down onto the frame? Also, positive type suggestion, think about some type of vibration isolator between intercooled and the mounting point. All IC's are isolated in some form from the mounting points. You don't want your IC to crack somewhere later on. Or worse yet, your refrigerant lines cracking due to the condenser not being isolated from bumps and such. I believe your condenser in stock form was isolated, also. My 16 ga bracket on one of the supports on the drivers side eventually stress cracked, and it was isolated even. The roads are harsh on vehicles, LOL!

On another note to all, if ever you all are deciding on piping offsets, and are unsure which degree is required for a certain type of offset, how long it'll eventually end up, or need to know the distance between the two elbow degrees, just shoot me a PM and I'll calc that for you.
The following users liked this post:
j.fonder (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 11:47 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
That looks great Justin....how does the front grille fit?
j.fonder (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 06:41 PM

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
I find it frustrating that I can't click "Thanks" on my own posts. What the heck is this, Soviet Russia?
Old 03-06-2016, 08:06 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Looks good, JF. The offsets on the piping did come out perfect, huh!
I'm curious what you did to support the top of the core support, where the hood latch goes thru. Did you tie some type of steel from the top support back down onto the frame? Also, positive type suggestion, think about some type of vibration isolator between intercooled and the mounting point. All IC's are isolated in some form from the mounting points. You don't want your IC to crack somewhere later on. Or worse yet, your refrigerant lines cracking due to the condenser not being isolated from bumps and such. I believe your condenser in stock form was isolated, also. My 16 ga bracket on one of the supports on the drivers side eventually stress cracked, and it was isolated even. The roads are harsh on vehicles, LOL!
i didn't do anything to support the core support. didn't feel i needed to. i really think that the vertical brace that i removed was only there to hold the middle of the grill and front valence on and provided no significant support. i'm not worried about it.

the top mounts of the IC have bushings. i think you're right in the idea of adding some to the lower mounts. not too worried about the "bracket" cracking, it's pretty thick steel. but would hate for a line to crack. cheers!

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
That looks great Justin....how does the front grille fit?
thanks tcows! your install helped, especially with the decision to keep the condenser in front. can't compromise my a/c here in florida.

as for the fit of the front grille and lower valence. there's a reason I didn't include that in my post

the "hump" or whatever you want to call it that runs lengthwise down the middle of the lower valence was hitting the corners of the IC and bottom mounting studs. so i did some "forming" of the metal with a mini sledge to make it work. it's hidden by the bumper so i wouldn't expect anyone to notice but us. lower edge of the grille hits in the same area. but nothing a dremel can't fix. and again, unless the bumper was off and you were laying on the ground, you couldn't tell.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:19 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Drained the coolant, pulled the rad, tried to clean the inside of the rad of it's scale build up. Pulled T-stat, and installed my electric fan switch, and made a new air dam for top of rad.

Check out my build thread for more details...and pics.

Starting at post # 1091

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...3/#post3298406
Old 03-08-2016, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
installing headbolts and 60# valve springs tomorrow. forgive my ignorance, but as long as I bring each cylinder to top dead center, i can remove/replace the valve springs without worrying about the valves falling into the cylinder?

and what is the best method of finding TDC of each cylinder?

lastly, just a sanity check, 1-6, 2-5, 3-4 are at TDC together, "companion cylinders". so i can do the valve springs of 2 cylinders at a time?
Old 03-09-2016, 05:23 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by j.fonder
installing headbolts and 60# valve springs tomorrow. forgive my ignorance, but as long as I bring each cylinder to top dead center, i can remove/replace the valve springs without worrying about the valves falling into the cylinder?

and what is the best method of finding TDC of each cylinder?

lastly, just a sanity check, 1-6, 2-5, 3-4 are at TDC together, "companion cylinders". so i can do the valve springs of 2 cylinders at a time?
When a cylinder is at TDC, it's opposite will be at valve crossover between exhaust and intake strokes. Both valves will be slightly open.

You may not want to deal with that when changing springs, as you won't be able to adjust the valve lash at that position.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:27 PM

Well she did it to me again. Took DW and Blue to the auto shop to retrieve the rice burner getting a PS pump transplant. Sent DW home with Blue while I stayed behind to pay the bill. She blew a transmission cooler line on the way home. Left an oil slick 3 miles long and failed to proceed in the driveway. She called me at the auto shop and said the truck is bleeding.

It's rainy and muddy out there. Blue will sit there till it dries up enough so I can crawl under it and bypass the fault and get some fluid in it. Might be weeks.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:09 PM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Well she did it to me again. Took DW and Blue to the auto shop to retrieve the rice burner getting a PS pump transplant. Sent DW home with Blue while I stayed behind to pay the bill. She blew a transmission cooler line on the way home. Left an oil slick 3 miles long and failed to proceed in the driveway. She called me at the auto shop and said the truck is bleeding.

It's rainy and muddy out there. Blue will sit there till it dries up enough so I can crawl under it and bypass the fault and get some fluid in it. Might be weeks.
When you say "failed to proceed in the driveway", does that mean, she ran it out of fluid before she got home, or that it didn't make it home?

It is rapidly looking like mud season around here as well.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:24 PM

I got the white crew cab and the '91.0 truck fired up and idling for the first time in a few months as it was 50F* here today.
Fired up quickly and smoothly like it was running an hour earlier!
thrashingcows (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 07:51 PM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
I took some measurements for My shift boot. now I have to decide how I want to make it. I want the base as big as I have room for or it will look funny. I also cut out the material for my transfer case boot.
thrashingcows (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 07:53 PM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
I got the white crew cab and the '91.0 truck fired up and idling for the first time in a few months as it was 50F* here today.
Fired up quickly and smoothly like it was running an hour earlier!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
When you say "failed to proceed in the driveway", does that mean, she ran it out of fluid before she got home, or that it didn't make it home?

It is rapidly looking like mud season around here as well.
She pulled up to the porch. Couldn't back up.

I put proof of the carnage in the first post.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:20 AM

That is some sloppy looking mud to work in.
I can see why you are going to wait for it to dry up a bit.
Glad she made it safely home.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:24 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Well she did it to me again.

Tell the wife to stop running over people, and this won't happen again !!

YUK on the mud thing. Is that a road outside your home ? Do you live in a field of muck ?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?