1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 09:39 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Well, wouldn't you know it. Been home 10 weeks and truck is all good, 1st day back to work and when I got ready to hop in the truck after work I see an eight inch diameter glop of gear oil under my transfer case. I cannot find where it is sourcing from. Came to the conclusion it was someone's vehicle who parked at my spot while I was away. I get back to the trailer and put a piece of cardboard under the same spot, and sure enough, it's leaking. I crawl under there and see my rear transfer case yolk bolt very loose, and gear oil was leaking out of there.
I yanked out the u bolts holding the U-Joint on, and stoopid me, did not chalk my tires. When I popped the driveline loose that truck was rolling backwards(on a slight slope)!! Man, I never thought I had it in me to crawl out of there that fast!!! What saved me was the muddy tracks from backing up everyday created a mound behind the rear tires and the truck stopped against the mound! Man that was a dumb, could have been costly on my life, move.
Anyway, retourqued that yolk nut to spec, this time with lock tite, and got everything buttoned up.
Man, can't believe I did that. Just curious, if I would have never addressed that nut, would that yoke have fallen off along with the driveline or would the yolk nut have stopped against the U-Joint?
Old 02-29-2016, 10:08 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Glad your OK Augie...scary stuff for sure. Those brain farts can cause a lot of problems....
Old 02-29-2016, 10:16 PM

Been working on the main bathroom reno's, and put down some mud so decided to do a little work while waiting for it to dry.

Pulled out my spare tire holder and hit it with the knotted wire wheel on the 4.5" grinder.

Name:  PICT0001_zpsgcdwmngx.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  236.2 KB

The holes where the rods run through were wallowed out...figured I'd weld on a couple washers.

Name:  PICT0002_zpspx84ooh9.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  209.2 KB

And washers welded on.

Name:  PICT0006_zps7rcujyqt.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  270.9 KB

Name:  PICT0007_zpsfveorqmr.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  240.1 KB

It's in the garage now getting a couple coats of Tremclad paint.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:28 PM

Also dismantled and started cleaning up the rusty and crusty T-Case shifter I bought for a twin stick set-up.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:57 PM

TC, I see you're into multi tasking...remodeling and working on the rig. Pleasin' the woman, and playing with your truck. Don't know what it is about remodeling, but mention that and wifey gets motivated.
Yeah, thanks for the words of caution. Kinda scares me on what would have happened, cause where I'm at with my truck and trailer no one would see or hear me.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:25 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
TC, I see you're into multi tasking...remodeling and working on the rig. Pleasin' the woman, and playing with your truck. Don't know what it is about remodeling, but mention that and wifey gets motivated.
Yeah, thanks for the words of caution. Kinda scares me on what would have happened, cause where I'm at with my truck and trailer no one would see or hear me.
Sometimes my wife uses a special kind of math. As near as i can figure it is akin to algebra.the formula goes like this.

We=U-I
Old 03-01-2016, 07:33 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
You know the reason the wife wanted you to write up that manual for the home's appliances now. Same reason you had to sign that paperwork with your eyes closed a few weeks back. Those life insurance policies can be very profitable to spouses, you know. This is why I don't have one.....

BTW..... I know a dumb question....

You don't use your E Brake ?
Old 03-01-2016, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
You don't use your E Brake ?
Isn't that the thing that lets the truck run away only slower?
Old 03-01-2016, 08:02 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
I am glad you didn't get hurt (or hurt the truck) Augie!

Those situations suck, and anyone who tells you they don't make mistakes like that has selective memory, or worse.

It reminds me of a time I was turning the rear drive shaft by hand to get to a u-joint grease fitting -- right until the truck rolled off the edge of the mostly level garage floor.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Alec
I am glad you didn't get hurt (or hurt the truck) Augie!

Those situations suck, and anyone who tells you they don't make mistakes like that has selective memory, or worse.

It reminds me of a time I was turning the rear drive shaft by hand to get to a u-joint grease fitting -- right until the truck rolled off the edge of the mostly level garage floor.
Been there also.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
Isn't that the thing that lets the truck run away only slower?
Sure does. A wee bit slower. Won't move at all if it's below 20*F with all the water in the line.

TEST POST: See if pictures work or not through photobucket

Name:  0929151608_zpsuxfhtomx.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  123.9 KB
Old 03-01-2016, 08:29 PM

Pic of Brakes came thru. As far as the e-brake cable, it was on, but not down fully compressed until stop. Bottom line, being on a slight slope, I should have blocked/chalked the tires. I'm surprised that driveline didn't come bapping me on top of the skull, as I let go of that thing as I saw the front tires rolling back towards me. The u-joints somehow managed to hook themselves on top of that rear yoke. I must have thrown the driveline upwards as I made my retreat!
Proud of not soiling myself!
Old 03-01-2016, 09:38 PM

Pic of Brakes came thru. As far as the e-brake cable, it was on, but not down fully compressed until stop. Bottom line, being on a slight slope, I should have blocked/chalked the tires. I'm surprised that driveline didn't come bapping me on top of the skull, as I let go of that thing as I saw the front tires rolling back towards me. The u-joints somehow managed to hook themselves on top of that rear yoke. I must have thrown the driveline upwards as I made my retreat!
Proud of not soiling myself!
You probably didn't have time to say it let alone do it. Amazing how fast a guy can move when he has to.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced the factory odometer gears. They had desinegrated in the dash.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
bigragu, i about had a similar UH OH today. I always just stick the truck in gear and don't use my e-brake when i park. loading up the truck today leaving the beach with the girl and pup. girl hops in, i hand her the keys so i can lift my lazy/tired dog up into the passenger seat. as soon as I pick up the pup, she turns the key, truck STARTS and is ready to drive off. i drop the pup, leap over top of her, and turn the key off. truck stops about 2 feet short of a tree. i'm laughing, girl is in tears. moral of the story: need to fix the clutch safety switch. any tech on this?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?