1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Check the boost numbers it takes to get you to a speed of say 70 mph, and how long it takes you to 70 mph. I'm not asking you to race it to 70, just normal everyday, off to work driving. You'll see that it gets to 70 faster than before, with less boost. Lastly, look at the boost number at freeway cruising speed on flat- you may be down in boost by 1-2 psi compared to where you were before the mod.
well, because i'm a skeptic/a-hole, i too decided to do this "upgrade/mod" today to my afc cover. i've been meaning to do this for sometime now, just for ease of tuning, not because i think it will make a dang bit of difference.

So i drilled and tapped the cover for 1/8" npt, installed (2) 90* brass fittings with 5/16" outlet. connected with 1/4" ID tubing(the 5/16" looked massive, so i made the 1/4" fit). went for 30 mile or so test drive. as i expected, i notice no difference. I watch my gauges religiously while i drive as well. no change in cruising boost.

I have been following the talk on this topic for the past week or so and I really feel that y'all are experiencing a placebo effect. about the only argument you could make for any improvement is during acceleration, as the VOLUME of air that can travel through a 1/4" id tubing is greater than that of the stock setup. therefore pressurizing the afc quicker and moving the fuel pin down sooner. This being said, i couldn't tell a difference during acceleration. But, once at a sustained boost level, like when cruising down the highway, it will still require the same amount of pressure(boost) to sustain the same speed as it did with the stock setup(this is assuming no leaks). this is also why i highlighted the "with less boost" statement. how quickly the boost gets there doesn't change how much boost(pressure) is needed to lower the fuel pin and increase fueling. I hope I've made atleast a tick of logical sense here.

In closing, I say DO THE MOD, as it's convenient to tune the AFC, but don't expect any change in performance because of it.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:23 PM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by j.fonder
well, because i'm a skeptic/a-hole, i too decided to do this "upgrade/mod" today to my afc cover. i've been meaning to do this for sometime now, just for ease of tuning, not because i think it will make a dang bit of difference.

So i drilled and tapped the cover for 1/8" npt, installed (2) 90* brass fittings with 5/16" outlet. connected with 1/4" ID tubing(the 5/16" looked massive, so i made the 1/4" fit). went for 30 mile or so test drive. as i expected, i notice no difference. I watch my gauges religiously while i drive as well. no change in cruising boost.

I have been following the talk on this topic for the past week or so and I really feel that y'all are experiencing a placebo effect. about the only argument you could make for any improvement is during acceleration, as the VOLUME of air that can travel through a 1/4" id tubing is greater than that of the stock setup. therefore pressurizing the afc quicker and moving the fuel pin down sooner. This being said, i couldn't tell a difference during acceleration. But, once at a sustained boost level, like when cruising down the highway, it will still require the same amount of pressure(boost) to sustain the same speed as it did with the stock setup(this is assuming no leaks). this is also why i highlighted the "with less boost" statement. how quickly the boost gets there doesn't change how much boost(pressure) is needed to lower the fuel pin and increase fueling. I hope I've made atleast a tick of logical sense here.

In closing, I say DO THE MOD, as it's convenient to tune the AFC, but don't expect any change in performance because of it.
Now I wonder if the ca. trucks are restricted To slow the AFC more than other states.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
Now I wonder if the ca. trucks are restricted To slow the AFC more than other states.
From my engine code mine is a CA truck, well at least hats what cummins told me. I have the stock 21 lagmaster turbo.

I think j.fonder is on to some thing with his under acceleration comment. After driving around some more today, the only time I can tell any difference is under a moderate to heavy acceleration, in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. If I just light foot it around town I feel no difference.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:32 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Ok, I didn't realize the mod would get so "studied", if you will. So, if I were to describe tooling along, light footing it from a Target to a Home Depot with 3 intersections between them within a mile and a half, naw, I don't notice anything at all. It's the getting up to speed, like getting into a short freeway on ramp at 30 mph and I need to merge into 75-80 mph speeds, I will feel it then.
Like I mentioned in the AFC boost mod thread, and I apologize to some for being loooong winded, maybe, my set up was leaking, and others on here aren't. Maybe that's why I feel a difference.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:39 PM
Banned

I need to merge into 75-80 mph speeds

my truck won't even go that fast!
Old 01-19-2016, 07:06 PM

my truck won't even go that fast!
C,mon, J, are you joshin? You must be! I've had mine up to 80... I'm sure others have...wait, your toying with me, gotta be!
I don't race or do the Dyno thing, just lost track of the speed I was going when Bay Area traffic broke free after I cleared a tomato truck that had lost its load. Don't want a ticket, so off the pedal I went
Old 01-19-2016, 07:38 PM
Banned

C,mon, J, are you joshin? You must be! I've had mine up to 80... I'm sure others have...wait, your toying with me, gotta be!
I don't race or do the Dyno thing, just lost track of the speed I was going when Bay Area traffic broke free after I cleared a tomato truck that had lost its load. Don't want a ticket, so off the pedal I went
for me to go over 70, someone has to be dying or have really ****** me off on the highway. i'm that old man in the right lane of the interstate with my cruise set at 65, even when i was up in south Dakota where the speed limit is 80.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:08 PM

Hey, I know it has nothing to do with doing something to a 1st Gen, but I have to ask, J, what does that last quote, on the combat rounds, mean in your sig?
On my D250 that I hopped up and sold, I got a ticket pushin up a climb at 75. Was wondering what a group of CHP's were gathering about for, on the side of the road, with one of them lookin like he was pointing a pistol at me, then he looked at it, and I knew I was in trouble. 5 seconds later CHP on my tail, and shortly after, ticket in hand and followed with this comment " see you in court"!!
Old 01-19-2016, 08:18 PM
Banned

Hey, I know it has nothing to do with doing something to a 1st Gen, but I have to ask, J, what does that last quote, on the combat rounds, mean in your sig?
On my D250 that I hopped up and sold, I got a ticket pushin up a climb at 75. Was wondering what a group of CHP's were gathering about for, on the side of the road, with one of them lookin like he was pointing a pistol at me, then he looked at it, and I knew I was in trouble. 5 seconds later CHP on my tail, and shortly after, ticket in hand and followed with this comment " see you in court"!!
haha, it was a conversation I had with a young army private while overseas.. apparently he found it odd that our trucks were littered with loose ammunition. we call them combat rounds.

and speeding tickets are a thing of the past for me. knock on wood. guess i'm just not in a hurry like i once was.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
for me to go over 70, someone has to be dying or have really ****** me off on the highway. i'm that old man in the right lane of the interstate with my cruise set at 65, even when i was up in south Dakota where the speed limit is 80.
x2😃 Drove across country in an old vw van once (when I was a lot younger) and a mech said it would make it if I kept to 55. Well took him seriously and found out later my speedo was off 10 mph. My girlfriend almost killed me when she found we drove coast to coast @ 45 MPH😂
Old 01-20-2016, 08:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well today i gathered some parts for my latest project. I went to downtown houston to meet a craigslist guy i had contacted about some parts. Boy was i surprised in both the condition/price of the parts i was after but the beauty sitting in the driveway when i arrived.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:40 PM

Ppumped crew cabNV4500 4x4. Yes everything works and yes he said he would sell it. Awesome truck. On a stretched 1 ton 1st gen frame. Body in good shape and interior fair. If i had the cash it would be sitting in my driveway right now lol
Old 01-20-2016, 08:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Wrong thread. Sorry.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:59 PM

Are you saying i posted in the wrong thread?
Old 01-20-2016, 09:52 PM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Schaweet crew cab!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?