1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 12:19 PM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Cool that they had that barring tool as well, T-man.
What is with the line up of import cars in front of the Cummins Dealership??
I would expect to see a Cummins truck or two.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
I would expect to see a Cummins truck or two.
How many of your trucks are you running in the salt?

Mine's parked, ready to start on a moment's notice and rescue anybody or anything, but not getting salted daily with lowly commuting and such. That's what the rice burner is for.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:10 PM

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Fair point j_martin.
I am down to three 2nd gens on the road, with one only used when I have to tow heavy for road trips so it misses most of the worst salty days.
I washed and oil under coated them all a month ago.
All the 1st gen stuff is parked till the beginning of May.
They have only salted 2 or three nights up here as it has be crazy warm though.

Have they even used salt down in NJ yet, T-man?

I just can't picture hundreds of #s of my Mastiffs sprouting out the windows, in the back seat of a ricer!
If DOT saw that they could write me up for being over loaded!
Old 12-17-2015, 01:11 PM
BHD

Received 418 Likes on 279 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
How many of your trucks are you running in the salt?

That's what the rice burner is for.

I bought a piece of Jap Scrap for beating around, especially in the winter. No sense in chasing parts, in the salt, with my Dodges. If they do go out in the slop they have an immediate date with a pressure washer.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:45 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Thanks guys.

Called a local trans shop. Wants $2500 for a basic rebuild. Any upgrades would be extra.

So far, I've ordered a new flex plate, ARP Bolts which will be in sometime in the next couple days.

Today, I picked up a Cummins rear main seal kit $82.41
Adapter gasket $8.39
Barring tool for rotating the flexplate $38.51

Still undecided on how to go, although looking for a warm garage to rent and do this myself is seeming to be the best route, albeit, not the easiest.
. Hey, T, while you still have the parts n pieces still boxed up, can you post up the part numbers, at least for the adapter gasket and the flexplate, as those aren't visible on your pic. The Cummins 2nd Gen flexplate, I remember when I needed to replace mine, had gone thru a series of part number changes, and even the latest one I got from DTR the day before I went to Cummins, was different at the Cummins parts counter as the 2nd Gen number had been just recently superceeded. You did get a 2nd Gen FP, correct?
What are the plans of the jack being used to R&R the transmission/t-case? Safety First, Manly Man!! Remember to get that engine supported by itself, before dismantling the transmission from the engine. A tip my father in law gave me, who at the time was a diesel mechanic for Kenworth, is to have some #12 tie wire ready for when the transmission parts away from the engine. As soon as you slide the transmission back and have room for your mittens, thread the tie wire thru one bolt hole at around 9:00 and across to the bolt hole at 3:00. Do this while applying rearward pressure on the torque converter, so as not to break the seal. The wire tied off across the TC will hold that TC safely inside of the tranny while you maneuver and jockey that transmission unit outta there. You remove the wire at the time of re bolting everything back up.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster

Have they even used salt down in NJ yet, T-man?

I just can't picture hundreds of #s of my Mastiffs sprouting out the windows, in the back seat of a ricer!
If DOT saw that they could write me up for being over loaded!
See attached pic. They're still cutting grass down here. Not a single flake of snow or salt on the ground.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-1216150940_hdr.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-1216150940c.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-1216150940f.jpg  
Old 12-17-2015, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by bigragu
. Hey, T, while you still have the parts n pieces still boxed up, can you post up the part numbers, at least for the adapter gasket and the flexplate, as those aren't visible on your pic. The Cummins 2nd Gen flexplate, I remember when I needed to replace mine, had gone thru a series of part number changes, and even the latest one I got from DTR the day before I went to Cummins, was different at the Cummins parts counter as the 2nd Gen number had been just recently superceeded. You did get a 2nd Gen FP, correct?
What are the plans of the jack being used to R&R the transmission/t-case? Safety First, Manly Man!! Remember to get that engine supported by itself, before dismantling the transmission from the engine. A tip my father in law gave me, who at the time was a diesel mechanic for Kenworth, is to have some #12 tie wire ready for when the transmission parts away from the engine. As soon as you slide the transmission back and have room for your mittens, thread the tie wire thru one bolt hole at around 9:00 and across to the bolt hole at 3:00. Do this while applying rearward pressure on the torque converter, so as not to break the seal. The wire tied off across the TC will hold that TC safely inside of the tranny while you maneuver and jockey that transmission unit outta there. You remove the wire at the time of re bolting everything back up.
You missed your 1.5 hour time limit when the house was empty....

Part #s

Engine rear main seal kit # 3934486
Adapter gasket seal # 4947667
Barring tool #5299073

I didn't purchase the flex plate from cummins, as they don't offer it. They only sell from the crank forwards. No plates, torque converters, etc.

I ordered an aftermarket upgraded unit that J martin recommended, as it was stocked through slammazon.

Amazon.com: PRW 1835910 Xtreme Duty SFI-Rated Internal Balance 152 Teeth Steel Flexplate for Dodge Cummins 5.9L, 1988 - Current: Automotive Amazon.com: PRW 1835910 Xtreme Duty SFI-Rated Internal Balance 152 Teeth Steel Flexplate for Dodge Cummins 5.9L, 1988 - Current: Automotive

Hoping to god it fits the first time, as some aftermarket units require a spacer to move the trans back a few thousands. If so, I'm screwed, as it would prevent me from putting the truck back together, pissing off whomever I asked to let me use their shop. The aftermarket units, if too far inwards towards the transmission, cause the front pump seal to override it's bearing spot, and seize up. There needs to be a 1/8" space between the converter being all the way pushed in, and the flexplate. I guess I'll find out when I do the job. This is the particular reason I wanted to get a place I can use that won't affect anyone (such as an "unused" garage), where if I come across a blip, I can handle it in time, and not create issues for someone else.

I also want to support the engine so it's not putting excessive downwards pressure on the engine motor mounts as they were made in 1991, and won't like a significant angle change. Again... another reason to have a garage that I can take my time thinking and rethinking things.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:28 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
NATCO transmission threw mine in. Didn't mention any problems. Said the flex plate looked pretty good to them. I haven't had any problems with it.

It's good for about 12,000 RPM. Don't think you'll tear it up.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:34 PM
BHD

Received 418 Likes on 279 Posts
I just finished VE pump R&R on my RamCharger. OE pump was leaking between the pump body and head. Not a bad job overall.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:14 AM

I was under the dodge today removing the front driveshaft, skid plate, shifter for the TC, and pulled the inspection plate for the converter at the bottom of the bellhousing. There are "FRESH" marks of silver under there where I assume the crack has taken place. Amazing that this thing still moves with those cracks in there. I also found that my shifter bushings were going south, so I called Wholesale Mopar and spoke to Shannon and ordered all new bushings. She sent me a diagram of the area, and I told her what I needed. They couldn't be more helpful there. I'll have the parts next week.

My wife's coworker's husband has a shop about a half hour south of me. He has two lifts in it, and has offered to allow me to utilize them, and as well as help with the job if necessary. Really cool of him to do this, and it makes me feel a whole lot less anxious.... although I'm still anxious. Sprayed up the connections with PB so they have about a week to sit and loosen up. All the parts should be in next week, and hopefully the day after christmas I can get this going...or eariler if that's what he wants me to do schedule wise. We'll see...

Attached is the shift linkage diagram for anyone who needs it. I purchase (2) of item 4 and (4) of item #1 as then all the bushings will be new.
Attached Files
Old 12-18-2015, 10:57 AM

Can anyone here confirm the torque specs for the driveplate (we call it a flexplate) as the numbers I'm reading seem so light.

According to the FSM I have, the driveplate to crank are supposed to be set to 55 fl lbs, and the torque converter bolts to the flex plate are supposed to be 35 ft lbs ..

Can one of you guys confirm these ?

Most appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-torque-spec-converter.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-torque-spec-transmission.jpg  
Old 12-18-2015, 12:41 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Well you miss a day and look at all the posts....

T-man....hope all goes well, and Augie has some darn good points in his essays.....

As for the the torque ratings...that seems about right.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:44 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
put 1150 miles on the truck in the past 48 hours. Jacksonville, FL to Round Lake, IL. first start up in the cold this morning and she wasn't happy about it! was about 22*F. let the grids cycle 3 times, she fired right up, but made sounds i'd never heard before! I'm using the diesel kleen antigel/winterizer while i'm up here in the great white north. also turned my idle up about 100 rpm.

I have about 800 miles left and it's only getting colder the farther northwest i travel. Good news is I'll have my new bed and front fenders on in the next 2 weeks.

question for y'all on advancing timing. My timing is stock, doing a lot of highway driving, would it help me to advance my timing a bit? truck doesn't like to go much faster than 65 and all this highway driving is actually giving me worse mileage. only averaged ~17 mpg on this trip so far.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Well you miss a day and look at all the posts....

T-man....hope all goes well, and Augie has some darn good points in his essays.....

As for the the torque ratings...that seems about right.
Thanks.

I have an offer from a guy I know from another forum who said I could bring it to his shop and we'll knock it out in a jiffy. Just ordered all new bolts from the dealer he deals with as he wanted to replace all the hardware during the changeout. 15 bolts and one reinforcement ring were $108.78

When I mentioned I was going to pick up a trans jack from harbor freight, he went a little kookoo...His trans jack cost him $4000.00

Go figure....
Old 12-18-2015, 04:39 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Thanks.

I have an offer from a guy I know from another forum who said I could bring it to his shop and we'll knock it out in a jiffy. Just ordered all new bolts from the dealer he deals with as he wanted to replace all the hardware during the changeout. 15 bolts and one reinforcement ring were $108.78

When I mentioned I was going to pick up a trans jack from harbor freight, he went a little kookoo...His trans jack cost him $4000.00

Go figure....
$4000 bucks!! Must be one adjusted to reach a vehicle on ramps... Meaning not a floor model like mine. His must also either say Snap-On or Starrett!!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?